• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What tool(s) do you use to engrave metal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joehenz

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Question for those of you who have done those neat engravings on your barrel, buttplate, and triggerguard: what tools do you use?

The reason I ask is because in the books from TOW they show hand engravers and a "chasing hammer". However, when I go to any engraving website to learn more about it, it seems everyone's using some sort of vibrating or spinning needle thingy that runs on compressed air.

Gravers and a chasing hammer. The first thing you need is a video, or two. What you see being used is a power graver. It still uses basicly the same graver, but is mounted in a hand piece that works like a tiny jack hammer. I recommend Lynton McKenzies videos, especially the first one. lynton used the hammer&chisle method. When using a hammer, the graver is often called a chisle. If you are handy making things, you can make your gravers, but they really aren't that costly. Two of your top priorities, would be learning to properly sharpen a graver, and learning to draw. You will spend much more time drawing than cutting. Here's a shot of a lock I engraved with hammer&chisle, but there are much better engravers than me on this forum.
pennyknife187_640x480.jpg

pennyknife182_640x480.jpg

pennyknife181_640x480.jpg

How do you do the layout for your intended pattern? Seems like I saw/read something where they used a white chalky looking stuff, drew the pattern with pencil, and engraved/chisled from that.......

I use Chinese white from Laurel Mt. Forge, and sometimes just pencil directly on the metal. Once the Chinese white is dry, you can draw on it, and even erase if needed. After doing it either way, I spray a thin coat of laquer over it to protect it while I work. Hair spray will work also.

Dang Wick, I didn't know you can engrave. Nice work.

In addition to the Lynton McKenzie video,
I am told that Meeks book is a must. I am in the process of acquiring Meeks book, so I can't comment, other than from recommendations of accomplished engravers that McKenzie's video and Meek's book compliment one another very well.

J.D. The Meeks book is a must have, if you want to learn to engrave. I have not seen the McKinzie video, but I have heard nothing but good things about it. I have the Meeks book, and Have yet to read all of it, because it is so detailed, and well illustrated. I get lost in studying the work shown!

Wick, I am assuming that the engraving has to be done while the metal is in a soft state. So, do you anneal the frizzen to do the engraving? Emery

Personally, I found the Meeks book near useless unless you are wanting to do relief engraving. I don't remember there being much about simple incised cutting, or even designs for it. In my opinion, the Meeks book was written for those just interested in a broad view of how it is done, but with not enough details to go do it. I dabbled in engraving for years, here, and there, with really poor results, until I got the McKenzie tapes. It is all the little basic things that add up to make decent engraving. How to sharpen, the size of the heel, the angle of the face, the weight of the hammer, many light hammer strikes vs a few heavy hits. Learning enough cotrol with a push graver to clean up, and detail your work, and most important, drawing, and practice. I can't find the time to become really good. Too many irons in the fire. But as to the tools. I made most of mine, or got hand me downs from a friend. Here's a shot of most all of my tools. The hammer was made from a dollar store tack hammer, some of my gravers from file steel, a well worn Crocker sharpening jig, I highly recommend the sharpening jig, homemade burnisher. My primary graver is the one with the long grip. It has a store bought graver mounted in hard maple. Best graver I have ever had. I don't even have a proper vise. I just use my bench vise with the parts glued to a block of 2x4 clamped in the vise.
pennyknife426_640x480.jpg

Wick,
You are obviously high as a kite if you think that work is average. I've been hamming on brass and steel for the better part of two years and I can't even cut a straight line.
Those pieces are absolutely beautiful. Take a bow.

Regards
Loyd Shindelbower
Loveland Colorado

Dang Wick, you're too modest. The idea that you could do work like that with those tools seems almost superhuman to me! :bow:

Wick, you are just about as average at that engraving as you are average at that knife making, and I have seen enough of your work to know that's not so! :youcrazy: :wink:
If that's average I am not even on the scale!!!!
Excellent work, excellent! :bow: :bow:

Very, Very, nice work, Wick. Great pictures of the tools. Sharpening the gravers is very important, and a skill most of us lack.

If your work is " average" I am going to have to take a much closer look at " Great Work " to learn the difference. I believe that you are way too modest. :hatsoff:

I don't think much of Meeks book either, more of a show case for his own work. Lynton Mckenzie's videos are great. A good one for a beginner is Jack Brook's video. Both can be rented from.
Link

Wick, how does that sharpening fixture work?

Is it possible to get a photo of a graver in the fixture?

I am on the waiting list, and have been for over a month to rent Mackenzie's beginning engraving from SmartFlix. I'm still 7th on the list, down from 10th over a month ago, with no idea of when I will receive a copy. It would appear that most viewers are keeping the DVD for several weeks on end.

IMHO, it would probably be less expensive to buy 'em than rent 'em for several weeks at a time.

I'm frustrated enough to break down and buy the Jack Brooks' engraving DVD to fill the time until the McKenzie DVD arrives.

Has anyone seen the Brooks DVD? Is it any good?

Thanks,
J.D.

Back