• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What wood to make ram rod out of

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rles221

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I broake my ram rod yesterday at the range and woold like to make one but have know idea what wood to do it out of eny recomondations would be great.

its for a .45 cal 33in long
thanks
Rick

Straight-grained hickory would be the best (split NOT cut). Many places to buy them. Try to avoid hardware store dowels, they are not strong enough when in small calibers.
Black Hand

Dixie sells fiberglass rods you could make a ramrod from. Is that a good servicable material? They have different sizes to work for different calibers.

Straight-grain and hand-split.
Hickory or Ash are probably most common, but if you can find it then either Osage Orange or Pecan are both strong and moderately flexible even when fully cured.

I know a few people that make bows from Osage and it's strong, flexible and very nice to look at too. The pecan I have for walking sticks has retained flexibility and can support quite a bit of weight too, wears like iron, but is difficult to find a straight-grained section long enough for rods.

vic

I have used fiberglass for range rods, but I don't like it for a rifle rod because the tiny splinters lift up and get into your skin. I agree with the above, hickory or ash.

I've wanted to try black locust but heard that it contains silica and would wear the muzzle out. That would be bad. But black locust is very hard and strong and won't rot.

I dont use a wood ramord to shoot with. I use good ole steel.
You can get one from Dixie for a saw buck.
Keep the wood for looks, use the steel. Just dont do like my friend Dave did and send your down range. fastest arrow Id ever seed!

Fiber glass will eat up a barrel, use hickory, ash ,steel or brass.Brass is easy to work with and you can make a rod youself.

I'm a big fan of the various types of Super Rods, made from a black plastic material. They will bend double and are not as abrasive as fiberglass. I only use the wood rod when attending a shoot that demands them, like a Ranger Run.

I've always used straight grained hickory as well .... I've got a friend that makes bows, he has told me that Hackberry (sp)would make a good rod.
I had a brass rod one time ... liked it other than the extra weight.
Being a traditional blackpowder shooter, I carry a wood rod in the field but truly enjoy my wonder rod for cleaning once back home.

Sorry it took so long to say thank you for all the ideas. Very sick 2 year old em-room and all. I think i will stick to the hickory or ash. I have a never ending supply of hickory in the wood behind the house. I want to stay with the traditional wood ram-rod thanks for all the help.

Rick

Back