• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would make you break out your wallet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpringThunder

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey there guys and maybe gals.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a percussion rifle for a long time. Even more so now that Knight has doubled there price on their rifles. Don't think the 45 I bought was worth what I paid for it even though I've worked out it's kinks.

My only knowledge has been a kit rifle traditions hawkens from the late 70's to the mid 80's most likely. Love that rifle. Just can't be mine yet. Dad won't hand it down. Sentimental value and all.

I'd love to put a kit rifle together myself but would also just like to get right to shooting... So here's where the question rolls in. If you had an option to get a 50 or larger rifle for the option to use for the western states specifically, what would that rifle be and also why?

Suppose I could bring it out for deer season here as well. There's one chunk of ground here that has really got me wanting one more than anything just to be a Mountain man before I draw a real mountain man tag.

Shooting conicals and not prb. Maybe a buy once cry once option and an opposite of that.

Heck even bullet recommendations based on rifle twist would be a welcomed wealth of knowledge as well.

I'd enjoy putting together a 32 or 36 cal kit because I would be able to use that rifle chasing bushy tail much more than the occasions taking a 50 or bigger for elk or other big game. Kits aren't off the table but that's where I stand on that currently.

I'd maybe make it slightly modern by throwing a peep on it. Not necessarily modern but also not the most traditional?

I'm not well versed in traditional muzzleloaders by anymeans so any info is greatly appreciated.

Hey welcome the Forum! I personally love Thompson Centers. Everyone has their opinions so I hope others chime in as well. I bought my first in 1980, it was their .54 Renegade. As years went on I have always got them as I found good deals. One a couple years after the Renegade was the Hawkens in .54 from a guy at a bar that hated his New Gun. 120$ and it was my second. Just last month I found a .36 Seneca New in Box. Yes I have an addiction!!! They do not make these any longer but you do see parts all the time. As far as needing parts none of mine have ever needed and repair. They sell all the time from 3 or so up depending on what they have. I’ve taken deer and elk with.50s and .54s. Just ask for a lot of pics especially the bore. All have a 1/48 twist that works for roundball as well as conical. There are a couple models that have faster twists such as the White Mountain Carbine in .50 cal only that’s like 1/30 and the TreeHawk 1/21. There is the Pennsylvania Hunter and Pennsylvania Carbine that are for roundball only with a 1/66 twist. The New Englander is 1/48 both .50 and .54 Also the TreeHawk and New Englander have 12ga barrels for some real fun. It’s a lot to take in and I hope this helps. Feel free to ask away and check out the classifieds on here. There was just a New Englander that had all three barrels 12ga .50 and.54 the guy was asking 1000. Hope this helps and like I said ask away and I will try to help!!! Reds

As far as the conicals I have got all the moulds for the Thompson Center Maxi Ball in every caliber I have. The only conical I buy is the Hornady Bore Driver in .50 cal for use in the Tree Hawk with the 1/21 twist. All others including my squirrel calibers .32 and .36 I cast from pure lead. Reds

No discussin' anything but traditional m/l's on this here forum, so options/opinions will be a bit limited. That said, our niche has the neatest muzzle loaders - beautiful firearms that make your armpits sweat and your hands reaching for Benjamins. Choices are strictly individual. "For Every Pot, There's A Lid" ...Critters don't taste any better shot by a custom gun than a pawnshop beater.

There is no "do everything in excellent fashion" traditional muzzle loader, but some do lots of things pretty well. Buying used from someone you don't know is riskier with muzzleloaders in my opinion not because of fraudsters but because opinions differ as to condition and the more variables involved. Anyway .. if I were starting out, I'd not get in a hurry, but narrow my search with research from known sources. Buy the best you can afford every time. Junk remains junk. Good luck.

What caused me to break out my wallet was a .45 caliber Bob Watts flintlock rifle in 1975 in Stone Mountain Georgia. I never looked back. When black bears got thick on our farms in eastern North Carolina, I built a .54 caliber myself, both of these rifles have Siler locks on them. Get yourself a .54 caliber Kibler Woodsrunner. They are well balanced, the locks are very reliable and the .54 with a lead round ball kills very well. As far as a smaller caliber, I converted my Bob Watts to a .40 caliber, dropped the powder charge to 30grs FFF and it is a great small game caliber. These rifles will last you a lifetime and will be something your heirs will cherish long after you are gone. I now have 4 flintlocks as I am putting together a Kibler Fowler. Since I have 5 grandchildren, I anticipate putting at least one more together in the future. Good luck on your decision.

This is one I made for hunting. I used a Rigby stock from Pecatonica. I used a .45 caliber 1 in 24 twist barrel to shoot conicals. Have no idea who made the barrel something I picked up at friendship many years ago.

Attachments

• 20221205_145112.jpg
    20221205_145112.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Hey there guys and maybe gals.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a percussion rifle for a long time. Even more so now that Knight has doubled there price on their rifles. Don't think the 45 I bought was worth what I paid for it even though I've worked out it's kinks.

My only knowledge has been a kit rifle traditions hawkens from the late 70's to the mid 80's most likely. Love that rifle. Just can't be mine yet. Dad won't hand it down. Sentimental value and all.

I'd love to put a kit rifle together myself but would also just like to get right to shooting... So here's where the question rolls in. If you had an option to get a 50 or larger rifle for the option to use for the western states specifically, what would that rifle be and also why?

Suppose I could bring it out for deer season here as well. There's one chunk of ground here that has really got me wanting one more than anything just to be a Mountain man before I draw a real mountain man tag.

Shooting conicals and not prb. Maybe a buy once cry once option and an opposite of that.

Heck even bullet recommendations based on rifle twist would be a welcomed wealth of knowledge as well.

I'd enjoy putting together a 32 or 36 cal kit because I would be able to use that rifle chasing bushy tail much more than the occasions taking a 50 or bigger for elk or other big game. Kits aren't off the table but that's where I stand on that currently.

I'd maybe make it slightly modern by throwing a peep on it. Not necessarily modern but also not the most traditional?

I'm not well versed in traditional muzzleloaders by anymeans so any info is greatly appreciated.
A 54 round ball is 220 gr. Should do fine for Western game. I like the Lyman plains rifle. I have a 50 and 54 slow twist. I also love my TC Hawken with a green mountain slow twist drop in. Have a Frankenstein white mountain stock with a Lyman trade 54 cal barrel. Yes, they will fit. All my 54's use 90 grains of substitute. .530 ball with a .015 patch. Within 100 yards it's pretty deadly if you do your part.

IMHO, I'm a PRB kind of guy so I'd use either a .54 or .58. A .50 will definitely work, has done so for hundreds of years but I believe in having a little more than needed. A .50 shooting a conical would be good medicine as well. If I was opening my wallet up for something right now, it would be a kibler colonial in .58.

Being I have gotten every caliber from 32-62 in flintlock and almost everyone in percussion I am not looking for much. However if I go to a ML'er show and theres a rifle with long LOP since I am 6'6" and the rifle fits perfect like it was made to me and mounts like a dream _ I take it as a sign from the big man up above the rifle was built for me and usually end up buying it. But in reality the only rifle I see myself building or buying now would be a heavy 44" B-weight swamp barreled 40 caliber percussion rifle in steel early VA style to match flintlock version that is target gun. I am pretty much happy with the collection I have now but matching target rifles one flint one percussion would be awesome.

Right now I feel well served with a .45 Ruger Old Army revolver (hybrid of Remington 1858, Whitney and Blackhawk), .50 TC Hawken, .54 Great Plains Rifle. IF I could buy another right now, a caplock double barrel in 10-12-20 gauge. We own an original Moore and Harris English double, but it is currently at the county museum. Belonged to the unCivil War veteran whose land the museum was built on.

I’d pick up a single trigger Renegade and either have Jason at Rice Barrels build a drop in 50 caliber with 1:24 twist or send the stock barrel in to Bobby Hoyt for a liner and boring/rifling to the same 1:24 twist. I’d shoot the 50-415L bullet from the Accurate Mold company and use it for everything from antelope to big bears. That one rifle would do it all. (but thank goodness we don’t have to settle for only one rifle.)

being I spent 850.00 last night on an unmentionable that dirty harry used, (do ya feel lucky punk)
i would only break out my wallet for another nice piece of maple to bed a lonely Green Mountain 50 cal barrel into.
but if i were the op, i would try to find a lyman great plains flint bored to .54 cal.

If you're wanting to or having to hunt with conicals that doesn't necessarily limit the choices but does take some off the table. The Kiblers are excellent, but all the rifles have a round ball twist.
Right now, percussion caps are available but who knows how long that will last. You can get a kit to make your own caps though.
For a conical rifle I'd buy a Lyman Great Plains hunter right now were I to come across one. Investarms still makes that same rifle with the faster twist just under their model.
Still hard to pass up a TC no matter the model and most had 1-48 twist that'll do conicals well enough.
There are many more options. Depends on what one fancies.

Latest posts

Back