• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would you do?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it will do the job up to 40 feet distance. I have seen hunter's doing this.they just drop a ball or a conical shaped lead piece in to the barrel and just shoot them. They don't even use a wad over that ball or conical in that type of situations. Resulting in a big and some small holes somewhere 2 to 4 inches near to their aimed point.

As Stantdm suggested, "If he was far enough away I would pull the shot overcard and dump it out. Put a prb down and wait for him."

I would not put a prb on top of a shot charge.

Ethics or being ethical means doing the right thing when no one else is watching your actions. Is shooting a deer with birdshot ethical, even though it has been done? I don't think so, and I would let it walk. I have looked at hundreds more deer than I have shot. The chances are that you would get to see that deer again, if it was not aware of your presence.........Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a saying in my family...NEVER PASS UP A SHOT.
I would slide a ball down the bore and make meat.

:hmm: This side of hungry kids at home & no food in the house, I would pass on the shot, but snap a photo maybe even video ....sure is funny to see a deer suddenly pick up your sent and :shocked2: when they realize that stump 15 feet up wind just winked at them :wink: They sure get bouncy :rotf:

Something to think about is how close are your powder charges from shot to ball. My ball load is 5 gr more than my shot load so I would pull the card or wad on top, dump the shot, toss a ball down and try it.

If you have buck shot you can pull the wad and try that. :stir:

I killed this hog with no. 6's. But it wasn't but one long step away and shot it behind the ear.

j14.jpg

No question for me. I can't use shot on whitetail deer in NY. Or multiple loads - so a ball on top of shot is still "shot".

Now, a fallow deer as an introduced and non-protected species . . .

#6 shot - but from a 20 ga. SxS breechloader so I won't post the image here.

Thanks all for the replies, and the pics...If a RB with several buck shot pellets was safely used in colonial times, then I see no reason, ethics and legal issues not withstanding, that you couldnt safely load a charge of birdshot then slide a RB on top, using something to keep it from rolling out. Would it be accurate to 50 yards? I doubt it, but would it be devastatingly effective at 30 feet, I believe so.

Working night shift gives you too much time to ponder...

Eterry.

I've always thought the perfect gun for hunting would be a swivel breech. The rifled barrel loaded with RB and the smooth bore loaded with shot. That way your ready for anything.

Bethlehem%20Co.%20Penn.%20Swivel%20breech%20flintlock%20rifle%20(2).jpg

Nice looking rifle? smoothbore? also looks to bit heavy to be toting around in the woods :hmm: :idunno: .

Back