• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whats so great about real black powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BP is a hazardous substance. So is salt. Hazmats
differ from dangerous things in that they are predictable and the risks calculable and preventable. A dud hand grenade is dangerous because you don't know what it might do.
Mankind got lucky with BP. It's stable and shock resistant. It has a high ignition temperature and when completely unconfined, unlikely to cause serious harm when ignited, provided the quantity is rather small. It can be stored in modern containers that make unwanted ignition virtually impossible.
There are subs that have a higher ignition temp.BUT... they still burn
There are subs that are more difficult to use as an explosive weapon. BUT... they can still be used in a bomb. BP is a fairly low-yield explosive when contained. Most nitrate explosives are a true nightmare compared to BP and frankly would be a much better fuel for blasting onesself into paradise.
I do not believe these dumb-downed subs are an
adequate alternative despite their "improvements" because they lack the performance of the original and their advantages are more the stuff of a well-funded ad campaign and a poorly informed govt.

texan said:
Thanks for all input. I'll let you know what I think after I get back from the gun show.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you've had a chance to use BP. Plenty of mail-order (internet) vendors that can feed your addiction if you end up hooked... just let us know if you need the contacts.

It's true that black powder doesn't go bad. Usually about once a year when I lived in the Atlanta area there would be a news blurb about the bomb squad getting called out for Civil War munitions dug up at construction sites. They would not even touch it. They just attached a charge cleared the area and no more munitions. Sometimes they got nothing sometimes they got a bigger boom than expected. Truth is I am surprised that it wasn't mentioned more but I guess it isn't really that news worthy.

Jack

I shot pyrodex for a few years until this spring. Pyrodex always seemed slow in going off. Using goex ff in a not to be spoken of rifle is instantaneous.

I also noticed that if you ram pyrodex a bit too hard it doesn't go off. Black powder seems to like a firm seating.

My uncle went in with a guy on the list to split a bulk buy of black so the price was reasonable. I wasn't shooting bp at the time or I'd have got in on that.

If the only thing you can get in your area is prodex, it will work. I'd just try to snag a can of goex when traveling somewhere that has it and give it a try.

Then you can make your mind up for yourself like the rest of us.

Happy Shooting,

Clutch

Wow... nice debate.

I was in on some Pyrodex purchase with a friend a while ago and bought several cans.

As others have already mentioned, its tougher to ignite than BP.

It has its uses.

Pyrodex P is fine for pistols, but, use a good cap and clean nipple.
Pyrodex RS is great for cartridges.
Pyrodex "Select" is wondeful for BPCR. (very consistent in my 38-55)
777 FFg for brass shotshells.

GOEX fits the bill for all other shooting. Again, as soon as my Pyrodex supply runs out, I am done with it. (except for 777 in the shotshells) I can get a big 25 lb supply from Power Inc. that will last me many years. (I go through about 3 pounds a year, roughly)

Once you make that investment in 25lbs of real BP, you don't look back, unless you have something specific that works better for one reason or another.

As for my use of pyrodex,

I have had a 1 lb can in my closet since 1979 (Had some kind of a BP shortage back then I think ,A plant blew up or something like that and it was all I cound get ) and just started using it ,since I ran out FF BP. I have the problem of no one around me stocking BP and not getting a mail order going yet. I found that it was a little chunky in the can , but just crumbeled up the chunks and looks good. I started using it last week and have used about a third of a pound with no problems . I am using a dash of FFFF BP before the pyrodex, Just to make sure of good ignition. I can't really tell a diff except not as nice of a smell but alot of smoke. It for sure has much less fowling . I still want to get the real deal but for now Im happy with the pyrodex. :grin:
Thats my Cents JIM1911

Back