• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the attraction (to percussion)?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to muzzleloading, so I got into percussion rifles first.

What I really want to get into is BPCR shooting, since I bought one of those well before my muzzleloader, but that seems like I'll have to get a lot more equipment (and free, unencumbered time! :shake: ) before I can start doing that... So I decided to give muzzle-loading a try, had shooting buddies willing to let me use their rifles and equipment, and I got into muzzleloading in its own right. :thumbsup:

At some point, sure, I would like to have a flintlock. At this point, it does strike me--as a novice--as having a few more variables to ponder... :confused:

Duck Creek said:
Wow! This thread was supposed to be about why you were attracted to caplocks but it seems most of you either prefer flintlocks or wish to have one someday. It looks to me that most caplock shooters aspire to being flinters in the next life. Interesting. Looks like rock envy.

I've also noticed snobbery on the flintlock side too. Actually, quite a bit of it.
I'm also a fly fisherman who uses a bamboo rod. I use a bamboo, because I like the way they cast and look. Not because I think it's a better way to fish, and anybody who doesn't feel the same way is a noob. I can hardly communicate with other bamboo fly fisherman, because their nose it stuck in the air so far. The more money they have. The more expensive bamboo rod they own. I should say rods. Most of them own 20 of them. Starting at $5000 and going up from there. All they can do is talk negative about anything that isn't their way. I won't even talk to those guys anymore. I fish for enjoyment, and not to show off. I take pleasure in showing someone new to fly fishing. I always let them try my bamboo rod. Most of them like how it feels.

Anyway, i'm seeing the same thing with flintlock shooters. They put down caplock shooters as if we're shooting inlines. I'm thinking hard about whether I want to be in that group. I'm curious about flintlocks. I think they might be fun to shoot. Maybe I won't think so after trying one. One thing is for sure. I would get one for my own pleasure. Not because I think it's any better. I really like the Hawken caplock era. I live in the mountains where the fur trade took place. It's only fitting that i'd be drawn to that.

I'm not sure why a flame ball going off in my face is a good thing. Some seem to like it.

My little cap is still working like it did 180 years ago for the mountain men. To me. That's a good thing.

There will always be a few people in any hobby or sport anywhere in the world who think their toys are better than everyone elses toys. I've never had an issue with this as it's their opinion and they are more than entitled to it. I got into percussion rifles simply because they are the type of rifles I prefer to shoot. I like the half stock Hawken style rifle and the shorter barreled Civil War rifled muskets. I prefer these but it doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a flintlock if the right deal came along. The flinter I would like to find a deal on is an 1803 Harper's Ferry. The golden age rifles are beautiful but just not my cup of tea to shoot on a regular basis at the range.

I like caps because I hunt for food and the weather is usually very wet. I can run a musket nipple and know my rifle will fire. I also just like the looks better , I cannot explain it but I just like the way cappers look. the last major reason is I like the 1850's the most in history , and cappers fit in very good there.

Oh, I agree Dave. I wouldn't fish with a bamboo rods if those type bothered me too much. I just hate to see it in fly fishing and ML.

I'm sure i'll own a flintlock someday. I'll probably still hunt with a caplock though.

I asked the question on a lark, sort of paralleling a question over on the flinter board. For the record, I like percussion guns, I've built 6 percussion rifles over the years, still use some, and am not in favor of snobbery in general or specifically directed at those who prefer to shoot this or that. I shoot percussion guns when they fit my purposes- like a double barreled shotgun for bunnies or birds in the brush, a plains rifle for re-enacting that period or hunting deer in the wet or brush (my percussion rifle is shorter than any of my flinters). I do prefer to use percussion guns for teaching and introducing others to black powder.

I prefer flintlocks when they fit the timeframe of history that interests me most, and also I like the wealth of creative opportunities in building a flintlock since they spanned so many styles and often are highly decorated compared to later, percussion guns.

Since I shoot both I tend to find flinters attract me more for the challenge of getting them to be as reliable and fast shooting as possible, for the challenge of follow through when target shooting, and I find that caps are a little fumbly in my big hands. Plus I knap my own flints but have not learned how to make my own caps.

Capper, this isn't to single you out, but your response was best so far regarding the snobbery, so here goes.

I personally shoot just about anything that will send a projectile down range. Anything from an old style of sling, to modern "suppository guns", just depending on my mood that day and how much of a challenge I want. Having said that, I use both cap and flint lock rifles, and have been spending more time on the FLs lately. But that doesnt mean that I am going to get rid of everything else, because I will continue to use it all. It has different uses and each has advantages and handicaps involved. I prefer to hunt with archery gear and MLs though, it forces me to actually hunt, not just sit back and shoot.

Besides, regardless of the current attitude some may seem to have regarding caplocks being inferior, well, everyone starts someplace, dont they? And anyone hunting with a traditional ML puts much more work into it than the in---- shooters, so gets more respect from me due to their willingness to do it this way.

Not if you use a Ted Cash "Tear Drop" with 100 pre-loaded caps in it! I've been timed at the firing line using my TDC Teardrop: 3 caps snapped in four seconds :shocked2:

And the nice thing is that most of the caps will upright themselves when you gently shake the capper from side-to-side during the filling process. Stubborn caps turn right-side-up with finger pressure, and then you get to look at all 100 caps (to see if ignition material is in each one, and it's easy to spot any odd-balls) prior to closing the lid :) .

I gave-up on straight-line cappers years ago!

And as far as the snobs are concerned, they do seem to gravitate towards rocklocks. Not everybody that have them, just some! I've never had a fellow percussion shooter turn his nose up at my off-the-shelf match-winning Lyman Trade Rifle, since in my experience, caplock shooters are more interested in RESULTS than who has the most expensive piece at the line........

So I'm with you Pete!

Dave
Owner of approx. 3K caps

I use percussion because at the time, that was all I could afford. I got two .54 cal. Cabela's hawken's for $200. I have hunted deer and elk with them since around 1980. I have had caps not fire, but in the long run they have been very reliable. If I didn't kill what I was aiming at, it was my fault. And I used poopodex in them.
But I think flintlocks are more beautiful and graceful, and they fit the time period that won our liberty. I love building them, and hope to become an established builder. :)

“I've also noticed snobbery on the flintlock side too. Actually, quite a bit of it....”

Boy you are sure right on this one. There is no enmity on the cap lock side as there is on the flintlock side. I really don't know why either. I think it is because there are more flintlock builders than cap lock builders but maybe not. Maybe because there was a larger time frame that flintlocks were used. Who knows?
My first muzzle loader was a cap lock bought in the '70's, 19 not 18. It just doesn't get shot much anymore but I love it anyway. It has a special place in my heart.

Well Rich I went percussion for two reasons - one is that traditional black powder rifles are not taken that seriously in my neck of the woods so that means I am stuck with the commenest alternatives: 54 cal, Spaghetti Plains Rifle, and I have to order half my supplies up from the good fellas at Track Of The Wolf. There are professional black powder geeks around here that know their way around flinters but they are scarce - and buckskinners are regarded as eccentric loons up here. To most guys round here, muzzleloading means in-lines. :(

I like percussion, but I am building my next rifle and it will be a flinter. I will not shoot (hork, spit) black powder alternatives, and as long as the propellant is manly (like Yours Truly) the method of ignition is irrelevant. At the end of the day it's all good stuff.

why would anyone, especially in the muzzleloading world think there type of rifle is better than others? That is just childish stupidity.
When i go fly fishing there are no other people around me to criticize my flyrod, when i go to the range, i could give two +++++s about what the other shooters think about my rifle of choice for the day.
If you think they are being snobbish then maybe deep down you think flinters are a better gun choice and you wish you had one? i dont know im a psychology major so i always play the devils advocate.
also, if you kill a deer with a percussion, flintlock, or spitwad, i dont think the deer cares how much your gun cost or what type it is.
i think the sport of shooting is rewarding in the fact that you have so many choices of tools to do the job and its just funny to think that one tool is better than the other...
sorry im just bored waiting on the ups guy to deliver my percussion rifle. :yakyak:

Come to think of it, I've only shot caplocks so far. The rifle that got me hooked on muzzleloaders was a caplock, and mine is, too. It was a gift, so there wasn't much choice in the matter. Good to learn the basics on, though, before I get into a little more complicated system. I'd love to buy and shoot a flintlock as well, but due to budgetary concerns that might be a ways off. No matter what, when it comes to black powder, I just like it when they go 'boom'! :thumbsup:

Flintlock shooters more than cap lock shooters, maybe because it is more difficult, develop involved methods for their use. They become very possessive of this know-how and feel hurt, I guess (my word), if others don't feel the same. They are also highly concerned with the HC or PC of their guns. Cap lock shooters do not seem to be so authoritative about that. Possibly that is a reason one chooses to shoot cap locks. I am a gun lover, all guns, any kind, but right now I prefer flintlocks. What anyone else chooses is their concern and I am happy for them.

“...sorry im just bored waiting on the ups guy to deliver my percussion rifle.”

I sincerely hope you enjoy your new arrival.

Back