• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the attraction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adirondack46r

36 Cal.
Reaction score
So for you flint lock shooters (primarily directed to hunters) what is the attraction of the flintlock over the percussion? I own a percussion rifle and have been giving some thought to a flinter.

Heck I dont know, maybe just cause its keeping a traditions alive? Maybe just because not everyone can do it, putting effort into it? I mean we can teach anyone to shoot a center fire rifle with a 10X scope and hit a 6 inch bull at 600 yards, a ten inch bull at 1000 yards, but it takes a lot more effort and a lot more dedication to do it with a rock lock.Least for me anyway. Kinda like brain tanning buck skin I suppose, sure we can get commercial leather a lot cheaper.......

For me, the flintlock...
1. ...is a little more primitive than percussion - I like that.
2. ...fits into the historical period I'm interested in.
3. ...can be used in the PA late flintlock season.

I like not having to deal with caps, They look better. Basicly all you need is 3f powder.

If you like history, engineering, and invention, they deeply satisfy. Flintlocks were used in both the French and Indian War and the War of Independence.

The lock mechanism itself is the product of a long line of incremental development that is fascinating in itself~matchlock, wheel lock, doglock, snaphaunce, and others. Flintlocks were in use for 200 years.

They give you the power to put yourself in the leggings and moccasins of historical and fictional characters alike: Robert Rogers, Lewis and Clark, Horatio Hornblower, and heck even Captain Jack Sparrow.

Aside from them being some of the most beautiful guns ever made they take one another step back into time to an earlier more primitive technology which requires a bit more "learning" than caplocks and for me trying tousea gun that is as close to the originals as I can muster and using the methods as closely as possible within my means gives a greater challenge and sense of accomplishment at the end of the day, a traditional gun which closely follows the look and function of the originals with real BP PRB or wadded ball,plain vent hole, primitive sights it is some pretty adrenalin rowsing stuff, like going back in time and grabing a gun from a guy and borrowing it to go hunting,If I want the capacity to shoot 200 yds I would not add a modern high tech peep and use a bullet made thru the use of computer ballistic methods of the 21st century and use sometype of modern improved ignition system or I have really gone no where, a Ruger #1 will provide the same sense of accomplishment,there seems to be two schools of thought on this concept and I have never understood the whole idea of stepping back to an earlier technology then tweeking it to gain efficiency as close to what one used to use in the first place, just my rambling thoughts but back to why flinters...cause they are WAY KOOL DUDE!

adirondack46r said:
So for you flint lock shooters (primarily directed to hunters) what is the attraction of the flintlock over the percussion? I own a percussion rifle and have been giving some thought to a flinter.
For me it is using a form of firearms technology similar to that used by settlers in the 1770s, compared to the caplock technology from the 1800s I used for several years...and mastering the additional level of challenge with its ignition system under all weather conditions while hunting.
An excellent decision and very satisfying journey.

Other than the previously stated things like elegance and beauty, for me it is all about increasing the challenge. Anyone can shoot a deer with a scoped bolt action rifle. After years of listening to my customers talk you'd think they could do it out to 400 yards and beyond without much effort. A caplock certainly increases the challenge and decreases the range but a well-maintained caplock is almost guaranteed to fire. Getting the same reliability out of your flinter is deeply satisfying. At least it is to me.

Now that I think about it, there is one other advantage to a flinter. I once slipped on a creekbank and fell. The only thing to come out of my pouch and fall into the water was my can of percussion caps. I didn't notice they were gone until about an hour later when I shot a squirrel and needed to reload. My rifle really was a "single-shot" that day. Had I been carrying a flinter I'd have still been in the hunt.

John

All the above folks have valid reasons for liking flintlock hunting. But I will tell you, just shoot one sometime and you will be hooked! It will ruin you for any other kind of hunting forever. I have shot many deer (centerfire) over the years and really don't care whether I ever shoot another one. But I will tell you, just pick up a flintlock and it all changes. It is the hunt itself. The emotional feelings. The whole jubilate surrounding the hunt changes.
And, yes by far, they are the most beautiful guns in the world.

I think that is a question that will answer it self after you get one. I always shot caps but admired the looks and history of flint. :thumbsup: but beware once i started shooting mine my other guns just collect dust

Exactly the beauty and the way they fire is addicting. get one shoot it a few times and you will more than likely be hooked for life.

The others covered the ground pretty well, but I'll add a little.

For me it's the simple love of hunting and an "excuse" to stretch the time in the field. I've shot more deer in the last 40 years than I can count (we had a 7 deer limit for many years, and 5 for more). With growing kids in the house and venison the primary meat, we needed 10 or 12 a year depending on size.

Now it's just me and my wife at home and we don't eat all that much red meat. One deer is enough, even though I've got time on my hands and a 5-month season. I'm not stretching things in saying I get into the field for at least an hour for something over 60 of those days a year.

Long-winded preamble for saying I pass up most deer I see these days, and when I finally get around to shooting one, it's a special experience. And for me taking a deer with a flinter is special, too.

The firearms that we enjoy are strictly a matter of personal preference. I love and participate in many different aspects of the shooting sports. I have a good collection of modern and caplock guns that I have used for target, hunting and plinking for many years but learning the techniques and discipline needed to make a flintlock perform reliably is a high accomplishment that brings me great satisfaction.

I like the analogy that flintlocks are like women: Some are very beautiful, some are down right homely. Some are brand new, having never been charged and fired, some are antiques that have more history than could ever be known or told. But there is pure joy in getting each one to perform at their highest level.

Cause they go FA-BOOM and make a big cloud of smoke! :grin:

I've hunted with percussion for about 15 years.
Went to a shoot and the guy next to me had a beautiful roklok with silver trim. He told me if I went to flinters, I would never return.
I'm building a Verner, an Edward Marshall, a fowler, and a swivel breech, (not all at once)and they're all flint. :idunno:

Why shoot flint?
Lots of great answers arrived here ahead of me, but being a blabber mouth I’ll try anyway. Beautiful weapons aside, add the history, nostalgia, expanded hunting seasons (in enlightened states), challenging yet reliable. (Thanks JHansen, been there, done that!)

Maybe I’m being silly, but I’ve never been fully comfortable with a cap gun, either while loading by hand or using a capper. I’ve never had, seen, nor heard of an incident where a cap hurt anyone but it’s always in the back of my mind. I’ve not used a capper since the late ”˜70’s, clumsiest tool I’d ever had in my hands; maybe they are better now, I dunno. And I never cared for that little rattle can in my pocket. If I can hear it, I just know anything with hairier ears than mine”¦
Flints add a couple of more tools to the bag, and add basic mineralogy to every outing. Constantly looking for pyrotechnic flints & grading them. Just another skill for the pioneering arsenal.

Latest posts

Back