• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the attraction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, for all the reasons given; but there's more. I've always really liked to handicap myself - They're not as much of a handicap as you might think, however - and do the most with the least. That's why I started hunting everything with a handgun and tiny rifle cartridges that limit range and require precise shooting. Eventually even that got too easy and I went from some muzzleloading hunting to exclusively hunting with flintlocks years ago. I like knowing I have only one shot and especially knowing it's all on me just to get it to fire. It's easy to slip on a percussion cap and expect success; it's something else to HAVE to set up the flint and priming properly and have reliable ignition. It's a wonderful feeling being in the woods with 18th century technology and at least for a while know you're on your on.

You cast your own balls, You load your charge, You set the flint, prime the pan, and it goes bang. Personal satisfaction.

Absolutely true. My neighbor talked me into buying my first flintlock, and I owe him a big debt of gratitude. The first time I fired it, I was hooked.

What all of the above said is so, so true. They are the most elegant guns ever made, IMHO.

All of the above. I can't really add to what has already been posted. Try one and you will be hooked!

I started with a percussion rifle and was happy for many years. I built a flint lock 15 years ago and haven't used the percussion much since. The satisfaction of shooting a great target or taking a deer with a flint lock rifle that I built, napped my own flint, cast the ball, and cut the patch is as good a feeling as it gets. I don't know about the others but when I pull the trigger it just goes BOOM. NO hesitation Leon

Same with my flinter no hesitation between trigger pull and the shot

For a really complete black powder experience you need to stand there after a bright flash in your face. You want to move your head and break your follow through, because you are unable to see as the smoke has yet to dissipate. A really strong shot of spent black powder has just gone up your nose. Anticipation! Speeding Heart! Self Control! If I left anything out others will fill in the blanks. It is an emotional experience.
Bruce

A flint lock is an older lock mechanism, its more of a challenge to master, and to shoot well. It puts a lot more Joy in the Successful Hunt, than I got using a Percussion rifle. Not to say that using a Percussion MLer is not WAY above hunting with center fire rifles-- The CF guys are slack jawed when they see you come out of the woods dragging a deer and holding any MLer in the other. But, wait until you see the reaction- from both CF hunters, and Percussion rifle hunters-- when the gun you use is a FLINT LOCK! The Pride of the hunt remains the rest of your life.

That is Not important to lots of people- see all the guys who "buy in" to MLing Deer seasons with the Cheapest Zip Gun they can buy that qualifies as a "muzzleloader". Synthetic stocks, of modern shape, round Stainless steel barrels, shotgun primers, synthetic substitute powders, modern plastic sabots, and copper jacketed pistol bullets, scope sights- the list goes on. :(

Even sadder is the fact that when you are on a range, sighting in your traditional flintlock, with its iron sights, and shoot better groups than they can with their scopes, et al., these same guys pack up and run away in a snit. I would rather they come over and ask questions about my gun, how I get it to fire, and how I get such accuracy with it. I would be more than happy to give them an opportunity to shoot my gun, and then help them get their guns zeroed for their hunt. :surrender: :hmm:

Right now I still shoot a DBL percussion shotgun when bird hunting. If someone ever markets a DBL flintlock shotgun at a price that won't require me to rob a bank, I will probably buy it, and begin to use flintlocks exclusively. The most common question I get about flintlocks, from both percussion and CF shooters is, " DO you ever get a misfire with that gun?" ["yes, but the fun of using these is the challenge of making that happen very rarely."

The Percussion shotgun still gets enough comments from Modern gun shooters both in the field, and at the trap and skeet ranges to make it still fun to shoot. And, there is absolutely Nothing wrong with hunting with a percussion rifle or shotgun.

I might add that I've seldom seen a zip-gunner fire more than half a dozen shots and usually less. On the other hand around 30 to 45 rounds are pushed out of my barrels during a session.

I still remember me and my younger brother watching Fess Parket on Thursday nights as "Daniel Boone"...The wife and kids have given me the first 4 seasons and I still love it when the early version comes on and he shoots a running bear and an Indian and the rifle goes off...Flintlocks have been fascinating to me for over 45 years...

I give several talks each year to Boy Scouts and at local Public schools on the American Revolution and Colonial Living...

During each talk, I show how to make fire with a flint and steel...I then take out a flintlock and show how it makes sparks with it's own flint and steel...I then fill the pan with powder and while holding the lock in my hand I trip the sear...

I always get an aahhhhh from the kids...They laugh, smile and ask me to do it again...I then explain that powder burns, it doesn't explode...And do it again...

Try doing that with a percussion lock... :)

hanshi said:
I might add that I've seldom seen a zip-gunner fire more than half a dozen shots and usually less. On the other hand around 30 to 45 rounds are pushed out of my barrels during a session.

That's all they can afford. Have you seen the price of those things?

Back