• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your 20ga. squirrel load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesthomas

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Colerain 38" "C" weight 20ga. barrel that will be put into a stock next month, Might be able to get it ready for some late squirrel and rabbit hunting (ours ends Feb 28 I believe). So what are ya'lls squirrel load for this gauge to help me get started. Thanks. I have 7 loads that I've found through searching but 4 of them just say how much powder and how many Oz. of shot, no mention of OP or OS cards :idunno: . Thanks guys.

In my NSW 20 I use (1) 60grs fffg
(2)over powder card .125
(3)wad .500
(4)1 oz #5 shot
(5)overshot card .25

:thumbsup:

Britsmoothy said:
I change mine in the field depending on how close I can get.

That's key. I'm shooting snowshoe hare rather than squirrels, but from day to day and hour to hour my loads range from 5/8 oz to 1 oz with comparable adjustments in powder. My most common load is 7/8 oz of #6 shot with 50 grains of 2f.

Every gun is different, but I've found wad tests to result in best results with patterns. Once I've found the right wad combo for the gun, I can pretty much use that same combo with all charges. Nice that things worked out that way, cuzz I don't have to go messing with different wad combos every time I change powder/shot combos.

Both my 20's really shine with the wad everyone loves to hate: fiber base wad. I start with a Type A hard card (to scrape the bore and help seal the gases), then a lubed fiber wad (overnight soak in olive oil) and top the shot with a single OS card. Leave out the Type A, and I start getting ragged patterns.

The distinction in using the fiber wads is in how much powder you're putting beneath it. Use less powder by volume than shot when using 2f, same volume for both when using 1f. Follow that prescription and there's none of the fabled "donut hole" in patterns the fiber wads are supposed to cause for the unfortunate users.

You also need to know I don't give a tired old rip about "tight" patterns with dense cores. My criteria is for a smooooooth pattern with clean edges and the shot evenly distributed across the pattern. I'm not trying to reach waaaaay out there or bash turkey heads. If I need more pattern density from a cylinder bore, I get closer before I shoot. No dreams of turning my ML's into modern performers.

Interesting, being a card only advocate I have not tried a hard card first under a fibre wad!
I also have been suffering poor patterns from my cards only, when I measured them I realised I had mixed my cards for the .58" in with the 20g :doh:

B :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back