• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your favorite caplock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greenriver Rifle Works Australia, Youth Model. Supposedly the last rifle they made.
3/4" x 28", 45 cal, 12" lop.. Weighs 5 lbs. 2 0z.. :grin:
.445 rb., 18 thousands pillow ticking and 55 grns fffg.
Shweeeet.. :)
It's like carring my favotite non-muzzleloading style rifle. Single shot .22 lr..... :)
youth45.jpg

Your favorite cap lock.
Your favorite load.
Your favorite cleaning method, and
your favorite place.

:hmm: Hasn't been made yet...

:idunno: But probably lot's of powder with a thick patch

Same as Flintlocks, Black Solve then Barricade, repeat next day.

In the woods. :wink:

Uhhh...I'll be starting it this week, a .50 cal Orion barreled Vincent. Load will be 50 grns 3F. If I hit a pop bottle at 40 yards I'll get back to ya........

Wow...great question!!! Of all my rifles, ranging from kit to production to custom, if I were to pick one it would be my CVA St. Louis Hawken. 1 hole 5 shot groups from a rest at 50 yrds with 75gr Goex. Short barrel and light..it works for me. Cleaning is done with sub-boiling hot water multiple patch wipings and a break free soaked patch to finish.

smokin .50 said:
:redface: I forgot to name my drink in my post :cursing: so I'll just say Winter: Becks Dark, Summer: Amstel Light. Either way a good Cuban cigar would go good too! :haha:

I like this thread! Thanks for starting it!

Dave
Guess I missed the drink and smoke part.... my local micro brewery's Hefe with an Oliva Serie G Cameroon wrap and a Jim beam to sip... YUM!!

It's O-K to put water in a canteen. But what do ya got in that flask, powder? :rotf: :rotf:

Becks Dark goes with Corned beef Rubens too, and the cigar is good for the methane :haha: :shocked2:

smokin .50 said:
It's O-K to put water in a canteen. But what do ya got in that flask, powder? :rotf: :rotf:

Becks Dark goes with Corned beef Rubens too, and the cigar is good for the methane :haha: :shocked2:

Okay, I'll fess up that I never fired a shot. That's all I'm saying about that. :blah:

Can't fault the Beck's and Ruben. :v

Pedersoli Scout 45, easy to carry and accurate.
440 RB .015 bore butter linen
60 gr. pyrodex P
Coconino National Forest in Arizona

GPR54cal.jpg

In case those of you who read my posts didn't notice I like to include a pic whenever I can.

Here's my favorite.

GPR .54 cal kit gun assembled and finished by yours truly. She looks good and shoots good.
I load her with 100 gr. FFg, .530 RB, .020 Ox-Yoke pre-cut patch lubed with bore butter and sparked by CCI No.11 cap.
I clean her up with extremely hot soapy water, cotton patch till dry, lube with Bore Butter.
She's the ultimate caplock for the game I hunt here in the Pocono Mountains of N.E. Pa.

Problem Child said:
Don't beat me up too bad.....
This is my favorie hunting caplock

Thompson Center "Grey Hawk"
85 gr FF Goex
Walmart Blue ticking
Dawn and hot water followed by Clenzoil
Favorite place is a swamp in a WMA in Mississippi.

My Grey Hawk is a tack driver and I can beat the manure out of the stock and I don't get mad at myself. :v

I used to really like an ole CVA Hawken, but after picking up a .54 GREYHAWK , it's all I take deer hunting. Briars don't bother it at all.

T/C .54 GreyHawk
80 gr T-7
Blackduck BP cleaner
Used to go to this pretty little meadow up near Ramsey, IL sat on the hillside and watch all kinds of critters cross the pasture. Closest thing to heaven I ever spent.

An early TC Hawken kit in .50cal with a TC Roundball barrel.

70 gr of 3f GOEX and cast R/Ball. .016" patch with Simple Green for lube

Remove barrel. Hoppes No9 Plus then hot soapy water. A shot of WD40 then finish with CLP.

The walnut orchard at Buripity's place.

50 Cal.GPR
70 grains 3F Goex
Warm soapy water then light oil
On the backside of the farm in the bottoms near the creek. :thumbsup:

Chad

Latest posts

Back