• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your favorite prb caliber for deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At different points in time over the years I've had love affairs with each of several different calibers... .40/.45/.50/.54/.58/.62cal...each time thinking this is my final choice / favorite best PRB for deer hunting in North Carolina.

But in the final analysis, when I decided to have an Early Virginia built as my retirement deer hunting rifle I chose the .58cal and began selling off the others.

IMO, the truth is, except for the tiny little .40cal they're all pretty good for deer hunting...but the choice is mostly influenced by the type hunting each of us do as it relates to energy & trajectory at distance.

The smallish .45cal is not quite as good of a general purpose all around caliber ball as a .50 or .54cal for distance of course...and the .58 trumps all three of them in terms of real "whompability".

The .62cal trades off a lot in trajectory compared to the .58cal...so given a choice my single all around general purpose PRB deer rifle is a .58cal (.570"/278grn ball).

Just my .02 cents on the matter

My vote is with the .58 as well, it shoots pretty flat without tons of recoil and has plenty of power.

54 or 62 rifles, do not have to "track" with ether one. I have never had one walk away from a hit!
:thumbsup:

All the deer I have killed with flint rifles have been within 50 yards. I have a early lancaster with a 44" barrel. The .490 prb knocks them flat. I have a .40 with a 42 inch barrel that I am going to try this year if the perfect shot and range presents itself.

I've long been a fan of the .54, but as time goes on I seem to be developing a taste for .50's, not sure why.

I'm also in the .40 camp with woods loper. One of my goals for this deer season is to take one with my .40. I'll be very selective about the shot I take, of course, but I'm convinced it's enough gun for the job as long as I do that.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Blacktail rather than whitetail, but my rifle rack says it all. I've got four 58's, two 54's and one 50. I'm getting kinda fascinated with my 75, so maybe it's going to find company in the next few years.

all I've ever used has been my .50's but I've been hankering for an underhammer .45. I'm certain it would do the job with good shot placement.

The 10 Deer and 3 bears I have shot with a muzzleloader have all been with a 50.cal.

Hello from Germany!

for roedeer I use to take cal. 50, but will have now a try with my .45 GPR capper.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I've taken a lot of deer with .54's but my favorite cal is .62, either in a rifle or smoothbore. Deer, bear, moose and bison have fallen to RB from the big .62

My favorite is the one that I am hunting with at the time i am hunting. Right now I have 3, 50cals. But on hunting trips I have taken my 40cal as a back up. I won't hunt with a gun that I am not comfortable with it's performance. My next gun will be a 20ga. that may just be my next favorite gun. I am not sure that there is the perfect cal. for deer, the perfect gun though is one that you can shoot well and place the ball where you want it, regardless of cal.

I've shot more with a .54 roundball than any other roundball and wouldn't hesitate using one again but I'm really liking my .58 right now.

my 12 bore is a real hammer,stops 'em in their tracks

I'm ussually in the thick stuff so it's close shootin'.

.45 ,.50 ,.54 ,and .62 all have had there day in the spot light too.

pick one and git to it :thumbsup:

Took several with my 54`s but will try my hand built .75 this year. All in all my first pick would be my Blue Ridge 54 :thumbsup:

Back