• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whats your thoughts on the t/c hawken flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a Hawken rifle built in the late 1800's and it looked just like the TC Hawken. However, if you really want an accurate replica, you will have to go custom.

stock architecture, barrel shape, barrel length/weight type of sights, there are likely more if you dig deeper, these guns were made for the public to have a sorta oldtime gun for hunting with no thought to staying within the lines/style of the original though they look a little like the originals in profile from a distance, they are good reliable guns, and you get great value for the dollar, they are just not very close to the specs/design of the originals.If you were able to view/hold one of each it would be very apparent.

Why? What makes them wrong/incorrect?

It's probably easier to ask what is correct. Bluing vs. browning, brass furniture, sight design, coil lock springs, etc. Modern Hawkens are styled after originals, but they aren't reproductions. Just like Steve McQueen's 1968 Mustang and an '05. The same, only different. :grin:

Boy Scouter said:
roundball said:
technically speaking, none are historically accurate

Why? What makes them wrong/incorrect?

Scouter
And don't for a minute think what you're hearing is kicking sand on a TC Hawken...not at all...I have a houseful of them in various calibers that I shoot/hunt every week year round...they're excellent muzzleloaders...good eye appeal, certainly a nice overall traditional look, quality, reliable, accurate, etc...just don't happen to be a precise replica of an original 1800's Hawken, that's all...and if they were you probably couldn't afford them...doesn't make them any less of a rifle, so enjoy!
:thumbsup:

I don't own a T/C, and never have. They were not making LH guns back when I was shopping. If they had, I would probably own one, and still be shooting it. T/C hawkens are nice guns. I actually applauded the company for purposely NOT trying to make an exact copy of the famous Hawken rifle. There have been too many guns sold to the unsuspecting as " real Hawkens" that were modern reproductions. If you think the only morals you need in life is P. T. Barnum's " There's a sucker born every minute ", then I guess ripping folks off because they are uneducated will not bother you. However, It does bother me. I have admired the folks at T/C for all the years they have been in business. I like their guns, and how they do business. I hope S&W will leave well enough alone, now that it owns the company.

I think I have said this before, but for the new guys: The T/C "Hawken" does not even try to be a 'true' Hawken, and it is too bad they chose that name for them. They are fine shooters and have fine lines. Some folks say they are not historically accurate at all--but [aside from the coil springs] they DO look alot like some California rifles of the 1850s. Many of the later plains rifles resemble the T/C Hawken (or vice versa)--and if they had called it a "plains rifle", "California rifle" or "Mountain Rifle" (like CVA did later) it would have saved alot of trouble for beginning reenactors/buckskinners...The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is closer, but not exact. There have been better "copies" produced, but the only current one is the Pedersoli. My second custom built rifle that I made was a .58 Hawken copied from one in a Taos museum. I wish I had not traded it off. If someone wants to do early mountain man, even the true J&S Hawken isn't the best choice, it coming in later...a good ol' "Kentucky rifle" is a better choice.

Oh, P.S. the Calif and other late plains rifles like the T/C in style were ALL caplocks.

I own a caplock T.C. Hawken and a Cabelas Hawken caplock that I hunt with regularly up here in Alaska. I sure do wish I could find a flintlock Hawken in left-hand. I'd snap it up. I had a right hand flinter once, but the sparks, flame and smoke going off in my face were disconcering, so I got rid of it and stuck to LH caplocks. I know the GPR comes in LH, but I would love a Hawken LH flinter.......

Unfortunately TC never offered the Hawken in left hand...they did the Renegade but not the Hawken...never understood that

The Lyman Greatplains rifle is offered as a left hand gun in .50 cal flint. People speak well of Lymans but I've never tried one. The .50 cal Lymans I have handled seem muzzle heavy to me.

Back