• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheel-lock pistol build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after a long delay with having to buy another breech plug (please don't ask; one of my bright ideas backfired and I promise to never do it again) :redface:, I finished inletting the tang about a week ago, dovetailed in the barrel lugs, and installed the pins. Over the past week I've been cutting off wood from the upper forestock to slim it down. Today I got the lock ready to inlet. Right now it is sitting so the bolster is flush with the stock. This is an exciting time for me as once I get the lock inlet, I can start shaping the area under and in front of the lock and get it slimmed down so that it doesn't look like a block of wood.

lockreadytoinlet2.jpg

lockreadytoinlet.jpg

Before I start chopping away wood, do you place the touchole in the same place as you would a flintlock (centered on the pan in the sunset position), or a little forward of the center of the pan???

Bioprof,
Have you drilled your flashole yet? If not, I understand it should be drilled angled forward a bit. This directs the blast of flame away from your pyrite. The blast can blow your pyrite to a little pile of crystal.
At that point I believe the best position for the hole on the outside surface of the barrel to be in the middle of the pan.
However, you need to know where your pyrite will be in relation to the hole when it is properly installed in the dog and is setting down on the wheel. Then you will know where to position the pan to avoid blasting your pyrite.
Have I made this clear as mud? :rotf:
Have fun!
volatpluvia

I haven't drilled the touch hole yet, but I need to know where it will go to best position the lock plate. I was planning on installing a white lightening touch hole liner. I realize that this isn't period correct, but properly installed in a barrel left in-the-white, it wouldn't be noticeable.

With a touch-hole liner, I wouldn't be able to angle the hole forward though. Maybe it would be better just to drill a hole and maybe cone it on the inside? I've never done this before, but it's probably time I learn. The barrel is a 13/16" 45 caliber, which has pretty thick walls. I was thinking that a touch hole liner would speed up the ignition some. Your sage advice on this would be appreciated.

I always drill last, and consider it the same as
for a flint lock. But that is just me..

Bioprof,
Since, in my humble opinion, the White lightning liner is such a good product, install it.
Then position your pan so the the pyrite will not be directly in front of the hole. WL liners probably increase the blast coming out the touch hole when the charge ignites. (Just mho, no scientific evidence encountered)
Again you will need to have the dog installed on the plate and the pyrite installed in the dog properly for setting down on the wheel. Only then can you know for sure where your pyrite will be in relation to the touch hole when the pyrite is setting on the wheel. (not on the pan cover)
Have fun.
volatpluvia

Leon,

I think your advice is good. Before I inlet the lock, I'll make sure to install the dog with a pyrite so I can see where it sits. The pan on this lock is so small though that it is going to be tough to avoid the blast hitting the pyrite though, even if I angle the vent.

Just so I am interpreting your comments correctly, are you saying that you should drill the vent hole so that the blast is directed slightly towards the muzzle instead of directly to the right?

Bioprof,
Yeah, I thought about the size of the pan. I don't know why they designed them with such small ones considering what they had to get down in there.
I understand the originals had their flash holes drilled forward into the charge. The blast would be directed slightly toward the breech.
volatpluvia

It amazes me that something as complicated as the wheel lock came before the flint lock. :hmm:

some believe that the wheellock was invented by Leonardo da Vinci - his drawings from 1493 could prove that - in main Europe the lock wasnt drawn before 1517 (first drawings dated by Johann Kiefuss resemble very close Leonardo's drawings)

You dont suspect Leonardo to come up with a simple thing, do you ? :p

Tonight I started inletting the lock plate on my wheel-lock pistol. I have it started into the mortis, but still have to sink it in deeper. It's a bit larger than a flintlock, so it requires a little more wood removal. So far so good.

That little nubbin on the tail of the lock is a bugger to inlet.

inlettinglockonwheellock.jpg

Bioprof,
Bravo! Keep going!
I'm so sorry, but I would have brutally lopped off that little nubben! But I'm glad you didn't!
volatpluvia

It seems like my work on this project has been going excrutiatingly slow. My regular job has a tendency to get in the way most of the time. I've finished inletting the lock plate and cut a little more wood off of the bottom of the lower forestock. I still have to inlet the innards of the lock though.

finishedlockinlettingwheellock.jpg

I made the mistake of not taking enough wood off of the side of the stock before beginning to inlet, so made a lot more work for myself by having to inlet through a lot of wood. I ended up with a pressed fit though and will probably have to inlet the lock mortis a little more so it isn't too tight after I add the finish to the stock.

There is an article on Felix Werder by Arne Hoff in Robert Held Ed., "Arms and Armour Annual", 1973. His barrels were cast as a tube and then cold hammered until they were very thin, but strong. One of the great gunsmiths in my book! :bow:

bioprof said:
It seems like my work on this project has been going excrutiatingly slow. My regular job has a tendency to get in the way most of the time. I've finished inletting the lock plate and cut a little more wood off of the bottom of the lower forestock. I still have to inlet the innards of the lock though.

finishedlockinlettingwheellock.jpg

I made the mistake of not taking enough wood off of the side of the stock before beginning to inlet, so made a lot more work for myself by having to inlet through a lot of wood. I ended up with a pressed fit though and will probably have to inlet the lock mortis a little more so it isn't too tight after I add the finish to the stock.

I'm not going very fast, but am enjoying the ride. I beveled off the edges of the grip and butt of my wheelie this weekend. The grip is going to be octagonal in cross section rather than round. I still have a lot of wood to remove to slim it down, including the lock panels. Here's a few pictures to update:

shapinggrip.jpg

shapingstock2.jpg

shapingbutt.jpg

Looks like your going to give that lock a fine
home...Keep up the good work...

Jasseji said:
some believe that the wheellock was invented by Leonardo da Vinci - his drawings from 1493 could prove that - in main Europe the lock wasnt drawn before 1517 (first drawings dated by Johann Kiefuss resemble very close Leonardo's drawings)

You dont suspect Leonardo to come up with a simple thing, do you ? :p

Johann Kiefuss never existed...just like Black Berthold never existed. There was a Georg Kiefuss who died in the 1640's who was a noted wheel lock maker, that's probably where the story started.

I also believe the dating on Leonardo is still open to question, despite Foley's recent articles. Probably more than one person came up with the same idea at the same time... shall write an essay on it for my website one of these days if I get a holiday off work! :shake:

I love guns of every type and description but don't know much about wheel-locks. So I find your pictures of the work in progress, as well as comments by all, fascinating. Thanks.

Back