• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheelweights on whitetail???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hocuspocus

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a bit of a delemna, in that I'm shooting a fairly hot load out of my rem inline magnum. They are 45 cal flat nose 337 grain I've pored from wheel weights. See I need a goodly bit of hardness cause our whitetail show you their outline through a ton of brush, so I gotta get to him. I also know that things which zip right through a whitetail tend not to sit him down right away. I'm hoping the 453 hole through both sides will do it, and preferably in less than the time it take him to get burried in the middle of a one mile dia swamp. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thankyou all.

any bullet with enough energy to go through both sides in the lungs is capable of bringing deer down, but your statement on "shooting through a ton of brush gives me great concern.i live in brush country here in sc texas and will never take a shot unless there is a hole big enough to CLEARLY define both what i am shooting at and where i am sending my bullet.to me hunting in brush and swamps are the hardest places to hunt because the odds of loseing game are higher than clearcuts(SENDEROS)and logging roads :imo:,therefore it is of the utmost importance to make your shot count!!!!!!!!!!!! :m2c:

hocuspocus,
:imo: it is absolutely a must to hit your intended target without hitting any or little brush
of any kind. it really is, no matter what your hunting
conditions are to make a clear shot on the intended
target. saves you the time of an extended track and your target of a long and painful death. :m2c:
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

I have a bit of a delemna, in that I'm shooting a fairly hot load out of my rem inline magnum. They are 45 cal flat nose 337 grain I've pored from wheel weights. See I need a goodly bit of hardness cause our whitetail show you their outline through a ton of brush, so I gotta get to him. I also know that things which zip right through a whitetail tend not to sit him down right away. I'm hoping the 453 hole through both sides will do it, and preferably in less than the time it take him to get burried in the middle of a one mile dia swamp. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thankyou all.

:agree: with the others...and the wheelweights will have a negative effect on the expansion you need for whitetails.

The slug needs to be soft enough to expand and deliver the energy inside the target...not designed with the thinking it will buck brush and then still accurately reach the target.

In fact, a number of studies have been published over the years on this very subject, using big slugs that used to be referred to a brush-buckers like .444 Marlin, .45-70, etc, and all the test results showed that the big slugs were defelected regardless of their weight and power.

That's why the simple roundball is so surprisingly effective at these typical woods distances...shot placement...shot placement is everything.
:peace:

What you need is a duel-density bullet, soft lead in front section and hard lead in the rear sections...

A three part bullet, like the the U. S. Civil War 3 Piece Shaler...
mm520.jpg

NO, what you need is to not try shots through brush. :nono: No matter what you are shooting, even a small branch can deflect a bullet a long ways off target. Enough to completely miss, (best case scenario) or wound (Worse case).

Hand gun hunters are successfully killing deer with heavy for caliber hard cast bullets with a big meplat. There's no reason it wouldn't work out of a muzzleloader.
:m2c:As for shooting through brush just about evey size projectile gets deflected to some degree, and wether or not you hit the game depends on how far it is from the brush you hit. Of course, it only takes a couple of inches to change a killing shot into a wounding one.

I didn't say the hard cast bullet wouldn't kill deer, i said shooting at them through thick brush was a chancy proposition.

A soft lead round ball driven at high velocity would tend to drop the deer faster, due to it's expansion. A hard lead bullet that passes through with no expansion, generally speaking will take longer to drop the deer. Of course all that depends on a million other things, but a hard lead bullet is not the way to go, for what you describe...I'm thinking you need to do a 180 and use a dead-soft projectile whatever it is.

Yes, a soft lead bullet with large metplat would also be a better way to go...or even a full wad-cutter if you could find (or make/modify) such a thing for your rifle.

Sounds like your shots are 50 yards or[url] closer...in[/url] which case you might consider a double-ball load.

As so very well pointed out, NO bullet will pass through brush without deflecting, hard or soft would make no difference.

Ooops...should have read the original post better! Sounds like the bullet you are using just needs to be cast out of pure lead and you will be fine.

Rat

Last edited by a moderator:
NO, what you need is to not try shots through brush. :nono:

I agree. Bad idea. Soft or hard, pointy or flat. All projectiles are deflected by brush. Newton proved that Law. Composition will not help as much as adding mass. Wheel weight "lead" is actually lighter than pure lead, so is a WORSE choice in that regard.

I hunt in thick stuff, where 15 to 40 yards is about all I can see. I just wait until the deer is in a "window". I passed twice this past year on deer closer than 40 yards because I did not feel my round ball had a open path.

I prefer a .54 caliber just in case I accidently clip a bit of brush I did not see. A .45 is low end deer caliber and that is because it doesn't throw enough mass. Not because a .45 hole lets much less blood than a .50 or .54 caliber.

Thanks Guys. I'm starting to formulate a plan, which incorporates a little of all ideas,but the one it incorporates 100% is hunting this area in ML season with a 54 cal. .The excuse for a new one never bothers me anyway. :redthumb:

Now you're talking! YEAH BABY!

Indeed, a .54" with a dead-soft, pure lead ball, with a good "healthy" powder charge would really maximize your chances of putting the deer down close to where you shot it.

And of course the real key to that is shot placement, more important than any other factor. Even so, the bigger the hole, the faster the ship sinks.

Rat

I can somewhat understand using wheelwieghts, but how the heck do ya get the dang deer to learn to drive???? :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Ain't ya never heard of a DEER DRIVE??

I hear ya Musket Man...my balls are .58", .62", and .75".

:redface: :haha: :rolleyes:

Rat

OK, time for me to weigh in. Please bear with me as this might get a bit long-winded.

I purchased a Traditions Pursuit in-line this year but opted to continue with my roundball gun for hunting (took a really nice heavy-racked whitetail with it too!). But my hunting buddy doesn't have a front-stuffer so I loaned him my in-line. I've got a good load worked up for this rifle, 90 grains FFg TripleSeven under a 275 grain T/C MaxiHunter. If you've ever seen the MaxiHunter you'll know that it's not far off being a full wadcutter in design. My buddy shot several shots off in the back yard to be sure he'd know how to shoot the rifle and reload it - all went without a hitch so I sent him off to his treestand with a loaded rifle and three quick-shot reloads.

As I was working away in my home office I heard several shots which had to have come from my buddy's treestand. Sure enough, it wasn't 20 minutes before he was on the front step. But rather than his usual broad smile (he's got a long track record as a very proficient hunter, having harvested five deer this fall alone...), he looked, well, totally pi$$ed. He had loosed off all four shots available to him at one doe. Admittedly it was a long shot for a first-time m/l user, but he'd shot it enough at paper for me to know he would be accurate out to 100 or more yards. The real kicker is that he hadn't even raised one hair on that darned deer!

So we went back to the paper target and blew off another dozen or so shots, litterally obliterating the centre of the bulleseye in the process. Definitely not a question of accuracy or repeatability of the rifle, so what the heck was it?

We loaded up and headed back to the stand. My buddy went up into the stand with a nice maple stick, and directed me to where the deer had been standing in the snow. He "shouldered" his maple stick while I got down on my hands and knees to take a look at the path the bullet would have had to have travelled. We did this for each of the four shots taken. In each and every case the shot looked clear from his treestand location, but in each and every case I was able to locate the reason why he wasn't able to connect with the deer. The last shot was the most telling one...

In every instance I found where a twig had been hit by the bullet. It took over an hour to do this investigation, but boy, did we learn a lot. In the case of the last shot, it was taken at a range of 55 yards (laser measured, including slant range from the tree stand). The stand was fairly high in the tree by our standards, about 18 feet. The bullet had what looked like a clear path to the deer, but in fact never made contact with meat because it hit a small (1/8" dia) wild raspberry cane and was deflected downward into the snow. The shocker was that I found both the raspberry cane, located less than 5 yards from where the deer stood, and the furrow dug in the snow by the bullet. The bullet hit the cane just over two feet off the surface of the snow, perfectly on-path for a good chest shot, and was deflected downward at such a radical angle that it struck the snow midway between the cane and the deer. It would have been thrown off course by something close to 45 degrees after hitting a chunk of brush that I wouldn't have hesitated trying to shoot through, had I even been able to see it at that range!

In all four instances we found the twig, branch or raspberry cane that my buddy had shot, but only in one of them did we actually find the bullet hole in the snow. The evidence we saw provided irrefutable proof that the myth of the "brush buster" is nothing more than myth. You simply CAN'T SHOOT THROUGH BRUSH!

There will be those out there who have made shots through brush and brought the venison home - of that there's no doubt. But when one is presented with four abject failures of this technique in one day, one begins to believe that taking such a shot is, at best, a low-odds gamble. Given that we're shooting at living creatures that demand our respect and humane treatment, perhaps we're better to opt for the higher-odds shots?

PS: My buddy managed to tag a lovely fat doe the next day with that same muzzleloader, in almost the same situation, but at closer range which increased the downward angle of the shot such that raspberry canes were virtually taken out of the equation. The MaxiHunter punched through the shoulder, through the bottom lobe of a lung, through the heart, and out the bottom of the chest. Shot placement was as near to perfect as one would ever want, and the deer literally dropped on the spot.

Yeah...and that's three of them in case ya didn't notice.

:redface:

Rat

Back