• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When to Cap while hunting Elk.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just that for those who say you would not hunt with me if you don't do it my way....who the Hell would want to?

"I'm pretty sure the lack of today's firearms safety measures 'back in the day' played a hand in their short average life span compared to ours now..."

I think that is really a stretch, I would like to see the stats to support it.

tg said:
Just that for those who say you would not hunt with me if you don't do it my way....who the Hell would want to?

That is kind of funny if you think about it. What do you do if the guy you won't hunt with shows up at the same hunting spot as you, and camps 20 feet away? Tell him to leave and call the cops if he doesn't? :idunno: Bill

snowdragon said:
What do you do if the guy you won't hunt with shows up at the same hunting spot as you, and camps 20 feet away? Tell him to leave and call the cops if he doesn't? :idunno: Bill

Gosh, that's right...and, don't forget those who might even parachute in on your camp too, ninja style...that would be about as likely to happen.
:wink:

If I hunt with anyone, its my Son and he knows its my way or the highway...but I've taught him right and he's always welcome.

I have moved more than once when someone decideds to set up a hunting community it does not happen often but now and then, personaly I like to back off and give the first come first whack at it but many do not hunt this way.I waited till four in the morning to tell one bunch to leave because I had written permission and was overseeing the property and they were tresspassing, I could have told them the night before but chose not to.

tg said:
I waited till four in the morning to tell one bunch to leave because I had written permission and was overseeing the property and they were tresspassing, I could have told them the night before but chose not to.

:rotf: :surrender: :haha: :thumbsup:

I clean my BBL the night before the hunt, load and cap. I unload with a shot at game or at seasons end or sometimes 6 monts later which ever is more convenient. Keep your lock on half cock--- :thumbsup:

Going around may be Longer, but it almost always is easier, and more safe when it comes to carrying a loaded gun.

Not about to detour 1/4, a 1/2 or even a whole mile to avoid pushing my way through a hundred yards of willow thicket. :)

marmotslayer said:
Going around may be Longer, but it almost always is easier, and more safe when it comes to carrying a loaded gun.

Not about to detour 1/4, a 1/2 or even a whole mile to avoid pushing my way through a hundred yards of willow thicket. :)
THat's because the going here is a lot tougher than most places. If I can go around, I will, but as I age, I'm thinkin' busting brush might be easier.

I see a lot of faith in half cock notches expressed here. I do not share that faith as I have seen them fail. Paul says that this might be due to dry firing in the half cock position. I do not know, but I do not trust that scant bit of metal for a safety.

I see some who like to rest the hammer on a live cap. I see that the hammer could be pulled back and released during movement, but the same can be said of half cock failing to catch a similar event. There is no free ride in such situations. The gun handler must be cognizant of all factors at all times.

I like the Kap Kover idea and used a plastic version or old pistol cartridges in a similar manner in the past. I view this as a best practice. The leather washer idea seems to offer potential in a similar role.

I enjoy reading the varied responses.

CS

Roundball mentioned the Kap Covers sold by October Country. I make my own version out of cut down .357 mag cases. I shape them to fit over the nipple base snug and long enough that the hammer cant hit the end of the nipple even if fired on purpose. I attach them to my guns with a leather strip. Pretty easy to make and safer than half cock.

If your replying to me I didnt say half cock was an option. If your replying to the thread in general I agree with you 100%. half cock is not safe. That is why I make my own cap covers and rest the hammer on them.

I should have said. Yeah, half cock shouldn't even be an option. I was agreeing.

Look at the hour I wrote it (4:40 am). I just woke up, and had one foot out the door. (went scouting)

Back in 07 I was hunting Colo. with a percusion .58 that I built that had a tc lock on it. I was looking for a buddy of mine that had a deer down and I ended up going thru a thick patch of quakey trees. My hammer was on 1/2 cock and somehow or another a branch must have hit the hammer and the gun went off. Luckily I was by myself and thank God nobody was in front of me. Ever since then I don't trust that 1/2 cock notch or anything else on that lock for a safety. Accidents can and do happen,we are all human and can make mistakes no matter how carful we are. I don't think a cap cover will fit on my new Don Stith Hawken because of the snail. I have been using one of those little pencil erasers to slip over the cap and the lock is on 1/2 cock while its on. I have been using this and it seems to work pretty good but I might have to try the leather also. For me its better than the 1/2 cock notch or leaving the hammer down. I keep thinking about what would of happened if someone would have been in front of me when that gun went off. Still scares me bad! We can't be to safe!!! Just my 2 cents. Dew

That's a scary story and needed telling! I expect the same thing could have easily happened if the hammer had been down on the cap.

I'm not understanding the piece of leather thing. Is there a hole through the leather large enough that it will not pull the cap off when removed? :confused:

It would seem that a piece of leather placed between the hammer and the cap would fall away if the hammer were accidently pulled part way back allowing the hammer to fall on and fire the cap. :confused:

You're right . I've been looking at it this morning, and i'm not sure leather would work that well if it was to stay in place when the hammer was pulled back.

I have another idea, but i'm going to hold off saying anything until I see if it works.

I thought the leather idea a good one if the hole is oversize so as not to pull the cap off when removed and if it is thick enough so that the cap would be out of reach of the hammer. OTOH, what about an accidental lifting of the hammer that might also allow the leather protector to fall off or be pulled off? :confused:

Clue us in on your idea when you get a chance.

Greenmtnboy said:
tg said:
not developing the focus required for safety with the older technology.
Exactly T.G.
You can't think modern safty when carrying a primitive weapon.
The half cock on a percession rifle is not the same half cock thats on grampies model 94.
without a doubt if you sear fails on half cock you're gun will fire.
It really doesen't matter how you do it as long as you are safely aware of of your firearm.
Not disagreeing but what is the difference between the two half cocks. i ask because i hunt with a 94 and carry half cocked. It should also be apparent that i don't have a front-stuffer yet. anyways i was just curious.

Latest posts

Back