• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When you get a barrel back from Mr Hoyt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I sent my friends rusted out TC Renegade barrel to Mr Hoyt to be rebored from .50 to .54 and re-rifled.

For those of you that had this procedure done; how did you treat the barrel when you got it back? Was a scrub with JB bore paste or steel wool necessary to take the sharp edges off the lands?

I didn't need to do anything, other than clean as normal. It's a very accurate shooter now. Well worth the money, and then some.

I recently had two done and I just cleaned them with Hoppe's #9 then ran some dry patches through them. Since I was not going to use them right away I ran a lightly oiled patch through them a few times and put them up. My climate is dry but I check my barrels every 3 to 6 month and run a lightly oiled patch through them, don't want to take a chance of rust forming. Your "mileage" may vary :v .

Bobby has done a number of barrel "liners" for me, both rifled and smoothbore. The rifled ones were sharp and cut properly. Like others here mention, just ran a cleaning patch or two down the barrel and she it was ready to shoot.
Hope you get it back soon. I've waited as little as 3 weeks and as much as 6 months. He's just going to start on one of mine that he received on April 27, 2015 !!!!

Rick

ricky said:
Bobby has done a number of barrel "liners" for me, both rifled and smoothbore. The rifled ones were sharp and cut properly. Like others here mention, just ran a cleaning patch or two down the barrel and she it was ready to shoot.
Hope you get it back soon. I've waited as little as 3 weeks and as much as 6 months. He's just going to start on one of mine that he received on April 27, 2015 !!!!

Rick

Ditto. He's done a number of relines and rebores for me and they have all been first rate. He has an Erma Gallagher carbine from me as we speak that needs a reline.

he made a .54 into a .62 smoothie ... great work ... the barrel came back lightly oiled and he even threw in a spare nipple ... I put some of my usual oil on it ... I try to get a patch through everything here in southeast Vermont at least once every few months

Latest posts

Back