• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

where can I buy balls in bulk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howdydoit

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Title says it all where can I buy for a good price. I did a search but didnt come up with much.

thanks ahead of time
Howdy.

howdydoit said:
Title says it all where can I buy for a good price. I did a search but didnt come up with much.

thanks ahead of time
Howdy.

there's a guy named(??) eddie mays? thinkin ga. way..pt roundball, he'll tell ya.. :thumbsup:

Just got a couple hundred RB from Mr May last week & yes he does business the old fashion way! Great guy & very fair prices!

howdy,
Quite a few guys on this forum have enjoyed casting their own. I'm among that number. You can buy relatively pure lead and cast some very good ones. If you hunt there is a terrific feeling so satisfaction of bringing down your deer with a ball that you cast yourself. For just plinking you can use some less pure (a bit harder) lead. I have scrounged this lead in the backstops of modern pistol ranges. (this is better done when they're not shooting) :surrender: I have found these very passable from practice. Sirjohn

I buy about all of mine from Eddie May & have for years. If you buy in bulk ou get a great shipping deal too as USPS had a flat rate box & you can get ? 4000-5000 balls shipped to ya for 10-11 bucks. Whatever it takes to stay under 70# weight limit. I had him ship me 12000 last year, as I feel the lead will get no cheaper & USPS sure won't.
Seal them up in ziplocks after ya get them so they don't oxidize.
If you are near a match or rondy he attends, he will bring them to ya for free, so I usually look at my bullet cache before the state match & call in a order & pay no shipping.

Great guy Eddie is........ :thumbsup:

Eddie May is a great guy and I have recommended him many times. He is not high tech in any way, but you will not find a better person or better deal on round ball.

He is pretty good with that little flinter -- shot with him in Louisiana a couple of times when he came there for the state shoot. I even talked him into selling me a mold which is not easy considering he makes his living running ball!

YMHS,
CrackStock

I made an order to Eddie May last week. Here is the cost:

1000 .530 balls @$80.00
700 .570 balls @$63.00
Shipping(US Mail) $10.45

That is max by weight order for US mail. Mr. May is very cognizant of shipping rates. Does areally good joband as others have stated is a great guy.

i am getting hornady rb at wal-mart for 9 dollars for 100.
they are SWAGED balls, are his a SWAGED BALL AND DOES THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE ANYONE OON HOW THEY SHOOT.

Eddie May casts his lead balls. They are not swaged. It does not make much of a difference if the balls are sorted by weight and diameter for the serious target work. For informal plinking and shooting at close yardage, those balls that are a little off weight are not going to hit too far from center. Someone on the forum just posted a thread where he actually weighed some balls he received from Eddie, in 1/2 grain weights. The difference from lightest to heaviest was less than 3.5 grains, a very good variance for cast balls. I believe these were .50 caliber, so we are talking plus/minus 1.75 grains out of 180 grains. That works out to less than 1% of the weight of the ball, hardly enough to cause serious concern to all but the most demanding target shooters.

paulvallandigham said:
Someone on the forum just posted a thread where he actually weighed some balls he received from Eddie, in 1/2 grain weights. The difference from lightest to heaviest was less than 3.5 grains, a very good variance for cast balls.
That was me, but that variance was for swaged roundballs, not cast. This is the result I got for (1000) 20-gauge (.62 caliber) cast roundballs from Ed.

Cast62Roundball.jpg

About 3% were quite a bit less in weight than the average (arithmatical mean). BIGGEST realization, of those judged "light" ... about half looked FINE! No casting holes could be seen, yet I checked and re-checked and they indeed are light.

FWIW - I just measured a random sample of (25) light and (25) weighing 321 grains, and all measure either 0.600" to 0.601 and a few tenths-thousands, none measured > 0.6014".

So that means that the diameter wasn't a factor in the "light" balls. As stated, only about half (of the 'light' ones) show any evidence of an air hole or pocket near the sprue.

Sorry: I saw both posts and read the word " Cast " on the ball chart. Eddie still makes very consistent balls, no matter. If you look at your chart, all but the 34 that weigh under 317 grains, and the 57 that weigh 324 or more are within 3 grains, plus or minus of the 320 mean weight. That is less than 1% of mean weight, and that is a very close tolerance for round ball. The vast majority of his balls fall in the 320-322 grain weight range, virtually identical. I wish my casting could achieve such results.

Now, as I alluded to above, that kind of variance is usually NOT acceptable to target shooters, and it would not be acceptable to the Slug gun shooters shooting those heavy conicals.

But we are talking RBs, for a large caliber smoothbore. Its not a matter of achieving rifle like accuracy, since that is an impossibility with a true smoothbore out at longer ranges( over 75 yards). If you reduce the gauge of the smoothbore, so that you can tolerate the recoil from using more powder to propel a Rb at higher velocities, this range can be stretched close to 100 yds.

i have place i can get 100 swaged .490 balls for 9.72 a box.

they are thompson swaged balls.

shipping is 10 dollars up to 100 dollars.

is this good deal,would be about 107 dollars including shipping for 1,000 swaged balls.

Back