• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where should I Get My Miroku Charleville Defarbed?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did ask, he didn't answer that part.
I've had it about 20 years; this is why I now try to save all paperwork/sales slips that come with anything. Years later you may want to document details of acquisitions, etc. BTW, the marking on the bbl. by the breech is one line, all block letters; MADE IN JAPAN 0013. I wish I'd saved the page from the Dixie flyer, as well; I often xerox or save paper stuff in the 3-ring clear sheet protectors.

I did ask, he didn't answer that part.

You said you want a Miroku that’s going to pass the 1 foot test, it’s going to be very expensive, way more than 210 dollars.

What you’re asking for is 40-50 hours of work excluding research on originals.

A gun builder listens to what it is you want, then does the research, then comes up with a price which could be just the labor, and exclude the shipping and extra parts costs.

I would be satisfied with what you have and a lock tune.

Use the Miroku has a learning experience, practice on the stock.

Thats too bad about Lodgewood.

John Zimmerman used to have a website and do defarbing, im not finding the web site. It was harpersferry guns or something. But heres his contact info per the google.

90B65778-FC3D-467A-A0EB-09ADF04BCE2B.png

You said you want a Miroku that’s going to pass the 1 foot test, it’s going to be very expensive, way more than 210 dollars.

What you’re asking for is 40-50 hours of work excluding research on originals.

A gun builder listens to what it is you want, then does the research, then comes up with a price which could be just the labor, and exclude the shipping and extra parts costs.

I would be satisfied with what you have and a lock tune.

Use the Miroku has a learning experience, practice on the stock.
Doesn't have to pass the 1 foot test, I want it historically accurate without replacing any parts. Similar to one of these.
Defarbed Charleville2.png
Defarbed Charleville.png

Last edited:
Hi,
I cannot quote you any price until I have the gun in hand because only then can I know how much work needs to be done. As I wrote previously, we don't do defarbs routinely and I generally avoid them because they can be very time consuming and my shop's mission is making historically correct guns not reworking commercial repros. I wrote to you that I would consider it primarily as a favor to you because our shop does not need the work. I would never quote a fixed price for something as vague as "defarbing" . I would almost certainly end up getting the short stick by doing that. For example, you asked about lock work. There is no fixed price because your lock may just need polishing or it may need the springs reshaped, or it may need the tumbler reworked, or it may need a new sear screw that fits the bridle hole more precisely. It could need any or all of those tasks and the price could range from $50-$250 depending on what it needs just for the lock and at the high end, that would still give me peanuts for my labor. So, if you require a fixed price, you will have to look elsewhere.

dave

Hi,
I cannot quote you any price until I have the gun in hand because only then can I know how much work needs to be done. As I wrote previously, we don't do defarbs routinely and I generally avoid them because they can be very time consuming and my shop's mission is making historically correct guns not reworking commercial repros. I wrote to you that I would consider it primarily as a favor to you because our shop does not need the work. I would never quote a fixed price for something as vague as "defarbing" . I would almost certainly end up getting the short stick by doing that. For example, you asked about lock work. There is no fixed price because your lock may just need polishing or it may need the springs reshaped, or it may need the tumbler reworked, or it may need a new sear screw that fits the bridle hole more precisely. It could need any or all of those tasks and the price could range from $50-$250 depending on what it needs just for the lock and at the high end, that would still give me peanuts for my labor. So, if you require a fixed price, you will have to look elsewhere.

dave
That makes sense, I can understand why you wouldn't set a fixed price now.

Thats too bad about Lodgewood.

John Zimmerman used to have a website and do defarbing, im not finding the web site. It was harpersferry guns or something. But heres his contact info per the google.

View attachment 344190
I read somewhere that he was in the process of 'retiring' but that he had an apprentice. Let us know the real situation. I saw him once at the Dixon's Fair, several years ago. Craig Barry mentions him in his book, The Civil War Musket, where he comments on de-farbs extensively.

I maybe crazy(at least a little bit) but aren't you rapidly getting to the point where you could have a custom built gun that would meet your specifications for similar money?

Yes , I always make an attempt to dissuade defarbs due to costs and limitations of the projects

I maybe crazy(at least a little bit) but aren't you rapidly getting to the point where you could have a custom built gun that would meet your specifications for similar money?
I dont know what you mean, this wasnt my thread. (If you meant to direct that at me?)

Back