• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to buy black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHBandit

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw the link above but it didnt seem to help. Anyone know where to buy black powder around the s.w. Ohio/Cincy area"
?

The best way to buy black powder is to go in with some family or friends and get a case from Powder Inc. Remember you can go together with one other person or a whole club and be legal. But once you get the case you cann't sell any to any one else. The details make the difference between legal and not legal. :idunno: :idunno:

can't help ya there,, but depending how much you want or need might be jus as cheap to order 5 lbs (or more if ya want) from one of the distributors....think power inc. sells 5 lb quantities..........could find out if yer interested but if jus lookin fer a pound, even cabelas gander etc you must ask for it, they hide it they have it...

Go to Goex website and look for its map of distributors.

Being in Cincinnati, you are close enough to Friendship Indiana, to just drive over there(call first) and buy your powder thru the NMLRA.

Distributors- who usually post toll free phone numbers can tell you the names and addresses of local retailers. NO?

paulvallandigham said:
Go to Goex website and look for its map of distributors.

Being in Cincinnati, you are close enough to Friendship Indiana, to just drive over there(call first) and buy your powder thru the NMLRA.

Distributors- who usually post toll free phone numbers can tell you the names and addresses of local retailers. NO?

+1... Friendship, Indiana is not very far from the Cincinnati area. As Paul suggests, call first.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

paulvallandigham said:

I'm just across the river from you and Friendship is where I buy my powder. I bought 3 cans of Goex last September and I believe it was $16 a can. You do have to be a NMLRA member to buy it. But you should be a NMLRA member anyway :grin: They stock plenty of powder, both Swiss and Goex. No need to call if you are a member, just walk up the hill to the Armory with your drivers license and membership card.

You can call them and see if the range and armory will be open on any upcoming weekends. The next scheduled shoot is April 20 - 22.

Around Cincy, try Target World over on Kemper or the Bass Pro Shop. I know both places "used" to carry Goex. Mark's Guns in Florence used to carry it as well. There also used to be a gun shop in Miamitown that specialized in muzzleloaders they used to carry it as well but I don't see a listing for them anymore.

Mark Painter said:
Around Cincy, try Target World over on Kemper or the Bass Pro Shop. I know both places "used" to carry Goex. Mark's Guns in Florence used to carry it as well. There also used to be a gun shop in Miamitown that specialized in muzzleloaders they used to carry it as well but I don't see a listing for them anymore.

As an FYI, Mark's and RLC in Florence both don't carry anymore and BPS has only 2F and 3F Goex "for the foreseeable future" (I may need to venture over to Friendship myself!)

stormcrow said:
As an FYI, Mark's and RLC in Florence both don't carry anymore and BPS has only 2F and 3F Goex "for the foreseeable future" (I may need to venture over to Friendship myself!)

2F and 3F is all I use anyway. I use 2F in my percussion and 3F for the main charge and pan primer in my rock-lock. What's the going rate for a pound at BPS? I bet it's at least $25 - $30.

I paid $26 and some change for a can of 2F the last time I was at Bass Pro. The clerk had to ask around to find out if they even had any in stock and who had the key to the powder magazine in the back, but they did have some.

This past weekend it was $25 per can at Bass Pro, not including tax. Its going to be cheaper for me to eat the hazmat and buy a few pounds from Graf's.

Cowboy2 said:
This past weekend it was $25 per can at Bass Pro, not including tax. Its going to be cheaper for me to eat the hazmat and buy a few pounds from Graf's.

If you can hold off until Friendship in June, or call and see if the magazine is open during earlier weekends. A can of Goex was $16 last September. Swiss was around $22. Of course prices may change, but it won't be $26.

ohio ramrod said:
The best way to buy black powder is to go in with some family or friends and get a case from Powder Inc. Remember you can go together with one other person or a whole club and be legal. But once you get the case you cann't sell any to any one else. The details make the difference between legal and not legal. :idunno: :idunno:

Four of us just bought 25lbs from them at $14.50/lb. That included shipping. Hard to beat if you can go in with a few others. GW

Back