• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

where to find a drop in .58 for lymam GPR ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckweet

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hello.

i haves a lyman, .50 caliber rifle, would like to find a .58 , or even a .62 barrel for it.

would even think about reboring it, wonder what that would cost ?

Man I would love to have my .50 GPR rebored to .58. What a dream to carry that would be.
If ya get any info please be shure to let us know.

Me thinks the 15/16 tube is just a mite bit thin to go the .58 route.
conversely....I wwas told that the lyman/investarms/cabelas would drop into the tc stock.
...well, they do, but dont match up proper.
...breech lug is good, snail puts the nipple way out of alignment, wedge pins line up and a .58 barrel DOES NOT fit a 15/16 tc stock

If one had a 54 tc stock and aneztra hammer to reshape, that~may~ work.

I did just hear tell that track has some GM .58's in stock fwiw.

Would the GPR have enough barrel wall if bored out to 58? Reckon it might be a matter of how stiff you loaded her up? Somebody can probably relate an experience on it.

More than a rebore. If you go from .50 or .54 to .58 or .62 you will need to replace the breech plug and tang. You may as well just rebarrel. :hmm:

I recommend just buying the GM .58 barrel, then finding a T/C Hawken or Renegade stock on Ebay and putting the two together. IMO, you'll have a much better rifle than a Lyman GPR.

Problem with the GM barrel, it's 1". You could very well run out of wood on either side of the forend by the time you opened it from 15/16" to 1".

Early GPRs and others were made in 58, so it's technically feasible to have a 15/16" 58 cal barrel. The question will be whether you can find one or find someone willing to rebore to 58. The world is pretty lawyered up now, and popular "wisdom" is that 15/16" is too small for 58, much less 62. You'll have to have that debate with possible sources.

If I was bound and determined to have a GPR in 58, my first move would be to search out one of the odler ones as-is. Problem there is that the folks that own them love em and aren't willing to turn loose.

Next in line would be to locate a bare 15/16" 58 cal barrel, and simply build the barrel from there. Rebore would be easier and cheaper, but when I nosed around, I couldn't find anyone willing to do it. Times may have changed, but right or wrong, I'm not optimistic.

I solved the problem by picking up a couple of T/C Big Boars in 58. My hunting pard picked up a GM 1" barrel for a TC Hawken, then got a Big Boar. Another pard picked up a Big Boar.

GM isn't turning out replacement barrels any more, at least for the foreseeable future. But 58's for the TC pop up used now and then. If you see one, grab it. Nice backup for you to be able to pick up a TC someday and add that to the barrel, just in case you can't solve the Lyman GPR conundrum.

well shuck's folks,

im looking around then, see if i can find someone to rebore it, if i cannot go with .58....i guess .54 will be fine.

and yes, if i see a lyman , in .58 for sale...ill buy it !

thanks for all the advise, i've tried t/c .. they dont fit me as well as my old lyman,

this is not a ...[just gotta do this or else]
because i do have an .62 and a .58 on their way for my underhammers, soooo.... ? pretty sure i can go .54 with the lyman.

i'll be pretty rounded out, with those.
thanks

sundog said:
Man I would love to have my .50 GPR rebored to .58. What a dream to carry that would be.
If ya get any info please be shure to let us know.

well guys, just found out, i CAN rebore it to a .54
not a .58, talked to ed rayl,
sooo... looks like i'll be sending it off today,
thanks guys.

Back