• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where to zero for 25, 50, 75, and 100 yard matches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leam

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My Traditions came with adjustable sights, but I want to get ready for the Kibler kit I can't quite yet afford. The local match varies between 25 to 100 yards, what range should I zero for? If it matters, I'm shooting a 50 caliber flinter.

I sight in for 50 yards since 1\2_the targets in our matches are at that distance. 25 yard targets don't require much Kentucky windage. 100 yards require a powder increase, and with some guns a sight adjustment. At 100 yards my eyes are more of a problem than issues with how the gun is setup. Getting old has its disadvantages.

I sight in for 50 yards. Hold a touch low for 25. Same hold for 50 and 75. Up charge from 70 grs FFFg to 85 for 100 yards. Gun is a 32" barreled .50 caliber flint rifle. Fixed sights are no issue if you know your gun.

ADK Bigfoot

I zero for 50 yards. At 25 yards, the ball is still climbing on it's trajectory path but isn't but a tiny fraction off on point of impact from the 50 yard poi. For 100 yards (on a bulls eye target) I raise my sight to the top line of the 10 ring. (theoretically) 😉 That gives me a 5X target. In reality it ain't happened yet.

My Traditions came with adjustable sights, but I want to get ready for the Kibler kit I can't quite yet afford. The local match varies between 25 to 100 yards, what range should I zero for? If it matters, I'm shooting a 50 caliber flinter.
All the guns I shoot have fixed sights. I zerro at 25, 50, and 100 via powder charge. Others say to find a powder charge for best group and vary POA at different distances. The following is what I suggest for you: Obtain the best group powder charge at 50, then move the rear sight for 25 and 100.
Larry

I guess it depends on what your primary use for the rifle is. For target shooting in a match and practice I usually try for the center of the 6 bull 8 ring black target at 25 yards. For me I am usually close enough at 50 with that. I usually up the powder 10-15 grains at 100 yards. Alot of people like to sight in using a 6 o'clock hold at the bottom of the black. I try to sight in holding center of target, in case I use that gun for hunting or shooting at animal paper targets. I know alot of people here will be much more knowledgeable on what I am about to say and can clarify me if I get something wrong here. Many years ago I heard of the 13 yard rule, which is actually for 12 1/2 yards but usually rounded up to 13 yards. Apparently the old longhunters and mountain men, knowing the trajectory of the roundball they fired, zeroed in using this method. As I recall once you have the correct powder, ball and patch combo zero in to strike 1 inch high at 13 yards. The ball should hit 2 inches high at 50, drop and hit poi at the center of the target at 75, be 2 inches low at 100 and 6 inches low at 130. That way when hunting or in battle they could hold center of target and get a lethal hit from the muzzle to 130 yards. As I said I may be off on this somewhat and others can correct where I misquoted. I have tried this a few times with my Early Virginia I got from Narrangansett over 20 years ago but didn't stick with it enough to work it out. I have not been to our muzzle loading club's range since my wife passed a little over 2 years ago but am really getting ready to get back out there and will probably try that with my Early Virginia again, hopefully seeing it through this time.

I have always sighted in at 25 yards and have found my POI at 50 to be very consistent with my 25 yard target. I start to see a drop at 80 yards. So for fixed sights you just need to practice and learn what your front sight elevation needs to be to get on center.

Just to follow up, I shot at 50 yesterday, and it was dead on elevation wise. 100 yards was about 8" low, even with going from 50 grains to 60 in my 50 caliber.
Shot in the match today, and of the three flinters, I scored high on the 25 yard target. I'm thinking it was mostly luck, cause the fellow I got to try my rifle shot about 6" high from a bench rest position.

I shoot (so far) a .45 cal. patched RB for competition. I sight in (with fixed sights) so the ball strikes at the top of the front sight at 25yds and 50yds. These ranges I use a 40gr. FFFg load and it is very accurate and I can't tell any difference in point of impact at these 2 ranges ....maybe 1/2" higher at 25??? Maybe?? ...but slow enough I have too much drop at 100. I up the charge to 55grains of FFF and use the same sight picture...bullet hitting top of the sight at 100yds.

Back