• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which curl would you choose?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
armakiller said:
NO,no,no, on the Patchbox idea! :slap: Why cover up all that curl "Tiger strip" with a patch box?. .
Because that's what the old gunbuilders did back in the late 18th and early 19th century? :grin:

Cynthialee said:
you really can't go wrong with either one
flip a coin
Oh, come on Cynthia...where's the fun in that! On the other hand!! :wink: :haha:

:hmm:
a purty rifle with a purty PB is like a long legged gal in a miniskirt wearing boots!!! :grin:
just goes together!!!!!!!!

tomtom sez so!!!!!

but i'll make em w/o one just fer you james!
:wink:

madmanmarc

As much as I like them both, the wife says pick ONE. Sooooo...I went with no 2 - the wild curl. My current build looks very similar to the first one anyway, so adding something different into the mix is exciting. Plus, it really does have some great character that draws me in to it! Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I can't see why you would want either one of them, the lock is obviously on the wrong side.....sorry, I just couldn't let that pass, as for your choice delema, I can't really tell that much difference between the two, I've always built in the plainest cheapest wood I could get, simply because I am not that good at this and I don't want to ruin a wonderful piece of wood, leave the really nice stuff to folks who know what they are doing. Stew.

kaintuck said:
:hmm:
a purty rifle with a purty PB is like a long legged gal in a miniskirt wearing boots!!! :grin:
just goes together!!!!!!!!

james!
:wink:

madmanmarc

You need to get out more Marc.

I would have said # 1 because of what I thought was grain direction through the wrist. (#2 looks like it has more grain runout.) Since the PB is going to be on that side the area without curl will be covered anyway.

What school are you going to build from?

It'll be a Lancaster. The grain looks about the same on both through the wrist. It's probably hard to tell completely in the pictures.

I tried to find a picture that would show the grain on each. To me, they look pretty similar and very minimal if at all (but maybe I'm seeing things wrong):

No 1 - fine curl:

No 2 - wild curl:

Let me know your thoughts...it's not too late to change me order. Thanks!

Grain direction, and architecture are the most important parts to get "right" in a build (apart from execution and obvious safety concerns). When you get to the artwork and embellishment phase, I tend to like wood and art that don't compete with the eye for attention. And the areas of interest have a nice transitional "flow" from one area to the next, where your eye can move "naturally". Really wild grain and highly intricate carving, inlays, engraving, and wire work need to be planned that way, and around each other. If you do them all together a piece can look too "busy". A great example of that is the "White" Jaeger on the ToTW site. The incise carving never stops, and is consistent throughout with the same style, and level of embellishment coverage. Your eye never gets to take a break, and there are no areas that really "draw you in" to examine more closely.

Just my opinion of course. Art is in the eye of the beholder.

Back