• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which front sight pairs best with Lyman 57SML?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daven

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Folks were so helpful on an earlier question, thought I'd ask another (no good deed goes unpunished...)

Looks like I'm going the GM barrel route on my TC Hawkins. Seems like near universal agreement on the Lyman 57SML site for a peep. But what about the front? I'm thinking globe sight, but would appreciate hearing what the old pros, or young hotshots, have to say.

Many thanks.

Daven said:
But what about the front? I'm thinking globe sight, but would appreciate hearing what the old pros, or young hotshots, have to say.

I really like the globe fronts with the multiple inserts for range work. But I'm here to tell you that you can pack a whole lot of snow, mud and brush into that little tube on hunts.

I go with a simple blade front sight along with the peep. Use it just as you would with a notched rear sight, but center it in the peep rather than evening it up with the "wings" on either side of the notch in a regular sight. Your eye will do the centering all on it's own, and that's part of the speed and advantage of the peep when you get used to it.

Many moons ago I put a 5-D peep sight on a Marlin 30-30. I loved that sight, ignore the peep and put the front sight where you want the bullet to hit. When I got ready to sell that rifle I had to take the peep sight off, the rednecks in my area couldn't understand how to use a peep sight.................watch yer top knot...............

I am using a Lyman 17 AML on my hawkens and renegades. I also use a Lee Shavers insert because the Lyman is not real great for precision shooting. Another sight that would work is the Lee Shavers. I also have one of them. Ron

My son earned his NRA Expert in Muzzleloading Rifle using the rear peep Lyman sight and the stock front blade on his Lyman Trade Rifle. Just like Brown Bear said to do it. That's what he does and it works!

Around here at dawn, while up in a tree stand, just unscrew the peep and you've got a wonderful ghost ring to use while the daylight is still waitin' to be "pumped-in", lol!

Dave

Mine wears a globe front sight and I think it is great. It is shaded from reflections from the sun. When they eyes need a bit of help, you can't beat a peepsight.......unless you opt for a scope (ugh!!! :barf: ). If you ever find that you need a scope because the eyes just demand it, for Heaven's sake, get a straight brass scope. At least it won't be so offensive the eyes of observers. :haha:

I have 2 57sml's, one of the front sights is the Lyman white bead found on the Deerstalkers. That works well for me. The other front sight is the standard thick Lyman blade. I filed a notch in the blade center and dabbed some white paint in it to give a finer sight picture. While it "fuzzes up" in my old eyes sight picture, I find it still gives me an advantage to the big flat blade.
Everyone sees a little different. What works best for me may not be best for you. Try different sights to find out what works best for you. As your eyes age you may have to change things a bit.

Buford said:
When I got ready to sell that rifle I had to take the peep sight off, the rednecks in my area couldn't understand how to use a peep sight.................watch yer top knot...............

Not sure where your Rednecks are from but my pappy and granpappy both had Williams foolproofs long before I was born, and I dare say knew how to use them, must be a regional thing, Vermonters been shooting peeps since the 1820's

I shoot nothing but peeps, on everything from my M1 Garand to my TC Hawkens, Winchesters and Springfield's.

I suspect that real rednecks, would have a notion what to do with them.........

Where was it that you were from again? :surrender:

Brian, I am from Tennessee. At the time when I sold that rifle nobody even would look at it with the peep sights on it. I had to put the ld open sights and a scope with the see-thru mounts before I could find a buyer. I find that the rear peep sight is an excellent sight for most rifles.....................watch yer top knot...............

Back