• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which nipple wrench

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have one of the Tradition's that came with a starter kit. First nipple came out very easy, then the second the end of wrench twisted and broke. I have looked at two different types and would really like to have an opinion as to which would be the best way to go. First is from The Possibles Shop, a ratchet wrench which looks great, the second one is from RCM Muzzelloading Revolver Nipple Wrench that has wrench on both ends for both small and large nipples. So I need an thoughts on which one to go with. I look at the ratchet type and see where more leverage could be applied, the double ended is just that and handles both sizes, or maybe just get both ????

Different styles work better with different guns in my experience. My favorite is a heavy duty little sliding T handle unit from, I think, T/C. But it won't work on every gun.

Nipples shouldn't be so tight as to be that difficult to remove. A bit of anti-seize after cleaning and just snug 'em in. :thumbsup:

My revolver is a 1858 Pietta Buffalo, which was new when I bought it. It was my intention to disassemble, clean put anti-seize on nipples and go from there, but best laid plans can go sour real quick.

Give Dixon Muzzleloading a call. They sell lots of revolvers and they stock every size nipple wrench I've ever seen! They even have one made specifically for the 1858! It might be made by RMC, a well-know leader in the muzzleloading field.

They have a web site: www.dixonmuzzleloading.com . No on-line shopping cart, and they're closed on Wednesdays, so if you can wait ONE day, you'll get really good service! It's a smaller Mom & Pop Shop and the guy who owns it is known nationally as a friend to the black powder community!

As far as my collection of nipple wrenches, I have five that I use at this point: Rifle #11, 1858 Revolver, T/C revolver with nipple pick that screws into the handle, a "T" handle with screw driver on one end, and a Walker/Dragoon specialty wrench made by Pedersoli.

I clean my nipples by immersing them (in a small plastic "baby" cup) in Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. It emulsifies black powder residue on contact, and it has a drying agent built-in so it's great for nipples. Just swish-around in a small cup while you clean the rest of the revolver, and then wipe off the crud with a paper towel, one drop of oil on the threads and snug up into the cylinder's chambers and you're done! Don't even have to use a nipple pick if you agitate the solution enough while cleaning the rest of the mess.

Good luck with your '58 and if you need anything else, give a holler!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I make all the nipple wrenches because of variations in nipple size and how far back the hammer will go for wrench clearance. Simple to make using only a drill press and suitable round stock. Nice little project.....Fred

The nipple wrench I use the most is the one made by TC that is also use to remove the barrel wedge. Don't know if it will fit you pistol, but it will fit all my TC rifles to include hawken, seneca & cherokee.

I have both the ratchet wrench and the RMC ML063 double ended wrench, plus a few dozen other pieces of detritus that I've acquired over the years. The ratchet wrench is very good at getting out stuck nipples, plus you can get different size 'sockets' to handle different size nipples. I'd recommend that on first.

By the way, the ratchet is made by Chapman Manufacturing, the people who make the gunsmith screwdriver sets. The ratchet is included in their sets, although they don't include the nipple sockets. It's good quality stuff.

Having said that, the RMC ML063 is a hardened wrench and also good quality. Probably the best of that type I've ever owned. It does lack the leverage one can get with a ratchet but the long reach is often better than the ratchet's short one. Having both plus a couple of different size sockets for the ratchet covers you for just about anything but the ones you have to drill out.

Jethro224 said:
Different styles work better with different guns in my experience. My favorite is a heavy duty little sliding T handle unit from, I think, T/C. But it won't work on every gun.

Nipples shouldn't be so tight as to be that difficult to remove. A bit of anti-seize after cleaning and just snug 'em in. :thumbsup:

Ditto. :thumbsup:

Nipples shouldn't be so tight as to be that difficult to remove. A bit of anti-seize after cleaning and just snug 'em in.
Yup. But sometimes they are. Sometimes, like the OP, you find that even in a brand new gun they've been installed so tight that the run-of-the-mill wrench is challenged. In those cases it would be nice to have a wrench that will do the job.

TOW sells a socket style wrench for rifles and shotguns that is much stronger than the slotted style. I have several of them.

WALKERs210 said:
I have one of the Tradition's that came with a starter kit. First nipple came out very easy, then the second the end of wrench twisted and broke. I have looked at two different types and would really like to have an opinion as to which would be the best way to go. First is from The Possibles Shop, a ratchet wrench which looks great, the second one is from RCM Muzzelloading Revolver Nipple Wrench that has wrench on both ends for both small and large nipples. So I need an thoughts on which one to go with. I look at the ratchet type and see where more leverage could be applied, the double ended is just that and handles both sizes, or maybe just get both ????
I have a traditions and I just bought the wrench that has the nipple pick also on it. It has really held up for me. Maybe you were just unlucky. Mine has held up for half of a year of hard wear. Even though I lost the nipple pick because I had to pick the nipple while reloading to shoot a deer.

I have the same revolver. I use the "T" handle one with the two different sized wrench ends, so I guess that some would say it's an "X" pattern. RMC makes strong wrenches, and one of them is specifically for the '58 and it says so on the package.

Good luck and Happy Easter.

Dave

Finally got all my ducks in a row and ordered the double ended wrench. In the past my biggest hobby or money pit was building R/C airplanes and restoring older glow fuel powered engines. I found that the engines that had been run and put away without the proper maintenance could darn near weld bolts and screws to the point they would break before releasing. I would disassemble everything I could and put parts in a pan with DAWN dish liquid and bring it to where it was just starting to boil. Amazing how the castor and rust would break loose. So from the experienced minds here does this sound like a step that would help prevent damaging either the nipples or the wrench. If I can get the nipples out I will put the anti-seize and proper storage.

I never had to use any anti-seize on any of my revolvers or rifles. The trick to not having to do this is to clean the nipples and the threads where the nipples mate, then oil them and re-install the nipples. Just "snug" is a term that some folks just don't "get", and over-tightening nipples leads to problems.....

The wrench you've selected will give you good service for a long while. Enjoy making smoke!

Dave

Latest posts

Back