• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which One to Start??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelt

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am contemplating my first muzzleloader rifle.
I may only be able to have 1 gun and I would like to know what you
all think about a Lyman GPR versus a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken.

I am fairly certain that I would want a 54 cal.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the Pedersoli and is it worth
the extra money? If you could only have 1 which one would it be?

I can't speak for the Pedersoli but the GPR's are excellent rifles for the price. I have .54 cal GPR's in percussion and flintlock. They are excellent shooters, easy to maintain, and are very comfortable to shoot. With the money you save buying a GPR instead of the Pedersoli you could equip yourself with some nice accouterments to go with it.

HD

If those two are the only ones you are considering, my vote goes to the Lyman GPR, too. You can get two of those for the price of one Pedersoli Hawken. I have a GPR in .54 and it is my "go to" gun. I also have a .50 GPR and several customs in addition to about 10 other MLs. IMHO, you can't go wrong with the GPR.

Otter,

Thanks for the comments.

Those 2 rifles are the only Hawken types that I know of to consider.
What others should I look at and consider if I were to only have 1Gun?

1Gun,

You could go to a custom Hawken, but you better have a thick wallet or be very talented . . . You could also look for a Jonathan Browning Hawken, but since they haven't been produced for quite some time now, one may be hard to find. CVA had a Mountain Rifle in years past, Uberti (I think) had a Santa Fe Hawken and Traditions has (or had) a St Louis Hawken - the Mountain Rifle and Santa Fe Hawken have been out of production for quite a while, not sure about the St Louis Hawken. Oops, just about forgot about the Thompson Center Hawken. Nothing against any of them (I have an old Mountain Rifle and a Pedersoli flinter), but I stand by my opinion of the Lyman GPR, best production ML on the market . . .

I have a Lyman GPR in .54 that I put together and I would stand behind it. It is a real good shooter. Others that you might consider would be a Thompson Center Hawken. You can get that in .45, .50 and .54. My son has the TC in .45 and it is a tack driver.
Scott

The .54 GPR is an OUTSTANDING choice.....It was my last purchase (so far) and I wish that it had been my first!
You WILL need more guns but for only one....54 GPR IS the awnser!

What does the wood look like on the GPR? From the pictures I have seen it looks very dark and 'featureless'.

I am also curious as to the fit and individual variation from gun to gun with the GPR.

In other words should I order one of these through the mail sight unseen or pay more
for one at a shop where I can look it over?? Does the same hold true for the Pedersoli??

Well,I have I have a Great Plains Rifle that I bought in 1995.It is a very good rifle and has served me well all these years.In fact,it has never failed to fire,been more accurate that I am and will consistently "make meat"(provided I do my part).I do not find it an unattractive gun.Let's put it this way,God forbid should anyone ever steal my GPR,I would not hesitate to buy another.By contrast,I just replaced the cock(hammer,if you will)on my Pedersoli Brown Bess musket.That's a thousand dollar musket!It's not all that bad,it's only about $40.00 @ DGW but still,a manufacturing defect.I have to replace the top jaw screw on my Pedersoli squirrel gun.Just $6.00 but for the price one would think...well,never mind. I guess I tightened it too much and it bent.All in all the Pedersoli's are very,very good guns.But so is the GPR.I went to the Cabelas website and noticed the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken was on sale for "only" $999.99!WOW! Of course the GPR was $549.99. I don't know about others but my wallet is kinda thin these days.In fact,every time I open it moths fly out!The only things I replaced on my GPR was the stock nipple with a Hot Shot nipple or maybe it was the Spitfire,I don't remember, and the original wooden ramrod with a brass one.You will win either way you go.It all depends on..."What's in YOUR wallet?"Lol!Best regards,JA post script:I find the dark wood on the GPR attractive.I rubbed boiled linseed oil on my stock and it really made a difference.I find the Lyman stock ,the wood that is,prettier than the T/C,IMHO.Buy it sight unseen through the post,I did.JA

Last edited by a moderator:
1gun- depends on several things if it were me.

Budget. Use. Parts availability for maintaining it. Size. Appearance. Probably some other parameters, too.

The GPR sounds like a pretty good all around choice.

TC guns in the Hawken style...over a million of them made. Parts will be around if needed. Accurate. Not bad looking. Plenty to shop around for when it comes to your purchase so you may get your best price.

I recently bought a Traditions Hawken Hunter in .50 cal for $225.00. 23 year old one owner. I Got lucky.

My next will be a John Browning Mtn rifle. They're out there if you search well and can be had from 650.00 to 900.00. Right in the budget and very good looking.

Pedersoli's are reputed to be good but overpriced IMO.

If it came to GPR or the Pedersoli I would choose the GPR. Or save more for a custom or a kit/rifle parts set from Chambers or Stith or Pecatonica. Guess you've heard good ideas and need to decide for yourself. Visit some gunshops or shows and see what is nearby that you can handle first. Some modern Hawken style guns have straighter stocks that the originals and feel odd to have to tuck your head DOWN to get behind the sights. Just my two cents.

good luck.

Steve

Steve,

Appreciate your comments and insights.

One of the problems I run into is that traditional muzzleloaders just don't seem to be available just anywhere.
I would love to go and look in person at a number of different rifles but alas there are not many places that
stock traditionals. Seems like mail order is nearly the only game in town. I don't mind spending a little more
to support a local shop if it has inventory and quality items.

Check Track of the Wolf's web-site. You may find a nice used semi-custom Hawken or plains style rifle in your price range. It will have American made parts of better quality and often a barrel by a top maker. It won't be a machine made rifle like thousands of others and its value will tend to rise with the passage of the years. If you can afford a Pedersoli, there are some fine rifles within your reach. No need to rush into anything.

Lyman GPR is nice and less expensive

Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken is much nicer and more expensive

I if I could affoed it, I'd get the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken

Yes I agree ! Go with the rocky Mountain Hawkin!
....if you get the GPR first, you will probably still want the Rocky Mountain and you will eventually buy one...so why not make it your First? :thumbsup:

Go with flint. There's something magic about flint. Shooting flint will make you thinner, richer, and sexually attractive. Shooting centerfire rifle will make you deaf: it's true- just ask anyone who shoots flint!

I'd look for a Thompson Center in .54- you should be able to find a used one at a decent price. Or, in the alternative, go with the Lyman. Both are excellent rifles and will give you a lifetime of faithful service if properly fed and cared for. I would personally lean to the T/C based on their outstanding warranty: if any part breaks or wears out they fix it without any quibble. I've owned a Renegade for nearly thirty years and (except for flints and a new frizzen) i've never had a problem.

Just one guy's opinion.

Good luck, and make good smoke!

I would go with the Lyman's. Pedersoli are over priced . I have one and probably not buy another. Dilly

Get in touch with Log Cabin Supply in Lodi, Ohio. They could fix you up. The oldest and largest in Ohio. Sat the 28 this month they are having a blanket day. Look in public events for details. You mite pick one up there then. Dilly

http://s677.photobucket.com/albums/vv137/jbtusa/?action=view&current=100_0297.jpg

For the money, the GPR is the best production rifle. It is a very accurate rifle at a good price. It is very comfortable to carry and to shoot. As you can see, you can get a stock with lots of color. The GPR is my favorite rifle even over 3 that I built from scratch using premium parts. I recommend the GPR handsdown!

Last edited by a moderator:
Boar-dilly - Thanks for the info on the Log Cabin Shop.
I called them and they have 1 GPR in 54 cal.
I was hoping to be able to look at several but I want to get over there and look around.
I wish they had a Pedersoli to look at also but I would guess they are hard to find.

Back