• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which One to Start??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contact some of the guys who build rifles and just see what a custom Hawken would run you. Thirty + years ago when I was in the same boat you're in, I was in the Army getting ready to get out and go home, a guy who had a couple custom guns told me to just check around when I got home and see what a custom gun would run me. Back then they were about twice as much as a TC Hawken. I ended up with a .54 with top of the line triggers and lock, very nice wood, and a Douglas XX barrel plus some nice additions the rifle maker added. It took a little longer to get the gun and it was more expensive, but IMO well worth it. There's nothing wrong with GPR to TCs, but a custom gun is one of a kind and it's all yours. My advice would be to just check it out, there are some good builders out there and they don't all want your first born if you know what I mean.

Mark Lewis,

Hello and thanks for your input.

What do you think about the parts availability for the Pedersoli Rifle?
I am a little worried that parts might be a little hard to come by here in the USA.

Do you think the lock on the Pedersoli is a better quality than on the GPR?

The Pedersoli is sure nice looking, especially in maple, but I am hearing from
some folks that have them and they don't sound 'completely' happy with them.

Looks are nice but in the end function is a big part. I sure would like to see one in person.

If you are worried about getting a "dark" stock, get a kit and put it together yourself. Lyman's "kit" really is that, a little bit of sanding and polishing and wood and metal finishing plus you can put your own "brand" on it. Stain/finish wood light or dark, brown or blue barrel and other furniture. Check out MidSouth for prices as good as anywhere. I have one GPR from a kit and one from the factory - I like the looks of the kit one better. $350 is a lot less than $999 . . . http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000156031112

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not go with a flintlock version because it isn't correct for what the gun is supposed to be.

Do you think the lock on the Pedersoli is a better quality than on the GPR?

Probably a little better.

Parts availbility should be about the same.

If you can afford it, get the Rocky Mountain Hawken. My friend has one in maple, and it's as nice as a custom rifle. The GPR is ok, and reasonably priced but not nearly as nice.

I would go for theLGP I think all of the Pedorsoli products have priced themselves way past their value.

I forgot to add that as it being your first ML I would advise a percussion lock, work out the learning curve with a caplock, you can get into flinters later or buy a flintlock barrel and lock for the gun you get if it is a LGP.

Another vote for the Lyman. I have a percussion rifle in .54 and can attest to it's accuracy. It'll shoot a lot better than me.
And as others have said, money saved can purchase a lot of shooting supplies.
As far as the wood being "dark and featureless", I'll disagree.
Many members here, myself included have Lymans with nice looking contrasting grain walnut. Some have stained or redone the wood to lighten them up a bit and they look good.

Come on tg, Everyone can use another rifle :rotf: . My first muzzle loader was a .54 GPR percussion. It's a great rifle and I still shoot it. The wife bought me a .54 GPR flint kit and it's just as good. These GPR's are the best buy for the money. With their 1 in 60" twist barrels, they are real tack drivers. I really love the .54 caliber. Pedersolis are way over priced for what you get. Be sure to shop around for the best price. Here are a couple of places to start: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ and http://www.dnrsports.com/ . Good luck :thumbsup:

Mark go to a cabela,s and handle all the guns.
i got a cabela,s investarm hawkins witch is made by lyman. this gun looks and shoots better than i ever though possible.

I have a Pedersoli, but not an Hawken. Spent a bundle of money on it but I love it.

On the other hand, the guy who often shoots next to me at the range has an Investarm Hawken, which I think you could consider.
It is less gloriously finished than mine gun, but it shoots very well at half the price and it is LIGHTER and I'd say even better balanced than mine having a much less tighter barrel (smaller diameter outside).

We both have .45 and my barrel has so much metal around the bore that the rifle weights a lot on the front. Maybe a .54 is different as I'm told that Pedersoli drills the same barrel in every caliber, so the .54 should be lighter and more balanced.

So I can't fail to recommend the Pedersoli, but I feel that Investarm is a good shooter on a lesser budget.

"Come on tg, Everyone can use another rifle "

Or two............ I was just pointing out the versitality of the LGP,they are a great starter gun and a great gun for the veteran shooter as well, Lyman tarnished the gun a bit when adding the possibility of shooting modern bullets in them with the "Hunter" option but I guess they felt the need to keep up with the competition. I really liked mine but only had it for a couple of years as a guy made an offer I could not resist...straight trade across for a NW gun by N Starr West.

You can get a Rocky Mountain Hawken from Dixie Gun Works for $925.00.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=13404

Do a Search for Rocky and read all of the posts. I have not heard anyone that was unsatisfied with the fit or funtion of the Pedersoli. It is the closest you can get to a real Hawken in a production gun.

New custon $1800.00 up.

Used custom $1175 to $1795.

Rocky Mountain Hawken $925.00

I have been looking at the used Hawkens on The Guns Works used Gun Page and it is real hard to justify $400.00 more for a used Rifle.

Robert

I just checked Track of the Wolf's site and they've got a decent .54 caliber Leman fullstock with a Rice barrel for a lot less than the Italian gun. If you aren't locked into the .54 they have an even nicer Ohio style half stock in .50 caliber for about the same money and still less than the imports. It has a Green Mountain barrel and a Siler cap lock on a nice maple stock. These are semi-custom rifles for very low prices. They're unique, hand made guns for not much more than the mass produced stuff. And less than some of them.

-----I may be wrong but the Lehman you are discussing looks like one of the old H&R Minuteman rifles-----

Just making a little fun, but I think your right about the GPH. But, personally, I see no need. Those GPR barrels are very accurate and a .54 ball will handle anything. I still have my first one after 28 years. But if I had a trade offer like you got, who knows :hmm: . I think the Pedersoli make a fine product. I have a nice .45 Blue Ridge flinter that I just love. They jacked up their prices a couple of years ago and blamed it on the value of the dollar :barf: . Funny that Lyman, which is also made in Italy, didn't raise their prices :confused: . If someone can afford a Pedersoli, they should look first at places like TVM, Early Rustic Arms and Sitting Fox. You'd be surprised at what you can get for the price of a Pedersoli, or a little more. That's where I'm looking for my next purchase.

Lyman is made by Investarms. They also make the Hawkens for Cabela's and Dixie. Lyman offers the same quality rifle for a lower price.

Well somebody must have liked it. It's already sold. It used quality parts and wasn't badly assembled. Certainly several steps above an import. The other rifle is gone too.

Latest posts

Back