• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which Shot For Duck Hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland Roamer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm looking to do some duck hunting with my smoothbore. What kind of shot could I use to be legal and where can I get it? I'm assuming that I should not shoot steel shot out of it, correct? Thanks for any help.

Alan

You could use steel(affordable) but you not be able to stay completely PC/HC as you would need to use some sort of modern wad meant for steel. I have use kent impact(though I opened up some modern shotshells I wasnt using, as this isnt available in loose form) and had decent luck out of a trade gun. you could try ecotungsten, dont know the web address though, also maybe Roundball(I think) will chime in with his thoughts.

The only non-toxic shot readily available right now safe for muzzleloader or antiques (without using a special shot cup) is the new ITX shot from Ballistic Products. It's expensive like Bismuth, but also soft and similar in density. It is currently in stock (as of last week).

#6 or #5 EcoTungsten (NiceShot)...latest direct lead non-toxic replacement.
Expensive, but the good news is that all patterning can be done with equivalent real lead shot, then just a couple shots with EcoTungsten to be certain and you're ready for the ducks.
http://www.ecotungsten.com/shots.html

For the possibility of getting a chance at some geese on a local farm, I needed some non-toxic shot for my .62cal smoothbore...tried steel but wasn't satisfied. So I bit the bullet and ordered some EcoTungsten/Nice-Shot...the latest non-toxic and one that is advertised to be a direct replacement for lead in terms of same loading recipes, same performance, but no special shot cups, won't harm your oldest, finest shotgun, etc, etc, etc.

I tested EcoTungsten #6's against my proven turkey load of lead magnum #6's as a very critical way of testing...looking for a very tight pattern to get killing head shots out to 35-40 yards, and found EcoTungsten to perform exactly as advertised.

Because my EcoTungsten shot charges cost about $3 each, I first check tested my smoothbore with a few 'lead' turkey loads, then several shots using 'nickel plated #6's as possible improved turkey loads for the future, then finally, I tested 5 shots of EcoTungsten.

The turkey target below shows the average results at 35 yards through a 'Full' Jug Choked barrel, 80 pellets on an 8.5"x11" target paper, no shot cup. (lead=54 pellets, nickel plated=58 pellets, EcoTungsten=80 pellets)

Should be excellent for geese head shots in this full choke barrel if I'm limited to that due to 3 fairly close houses, or should also be fine out of the Imp.Cyl.+ barrel for wing shooting if I find there's clearance and angles to do that...just need to figure out the schedule and flight path the geese take in and out of that farm pond.

082308EcoTungstentargetjpg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had heard about Ecotungsten awhile ago, but did not know it was available yet. It's good to see that it is. It sure is expensive though. Ecotungsten costs about $27.27 a pound, and the new ITX shot is about $18.57 per pound. It looks like they share similar characteristics.

The more choices we have, the better. Competition should drive prices down.

Forrest said:
I had heard about Ecotungsten awhile ago, but did not know it was available yet. It's good to see that it is. It sure is expensive though. Ecotungsten costs about $27.27 a pound, and the new ITX shot is about $18.57 per pound. It looks like they share similar characteristics.

The more choices we have, the better. Competition should drive prices down.
Is ITX even available yet...is there a website with ITX comparison data?

Latest posts

Back