• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

White, black, mule?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texas is by the county, number of deer, from 2 to 5 depending on the county. I can kill four, but only take one.

It's said that the whitetail deer is the smarter of the deer.

Dr. James Kroll wrote a book on whitetail deer, "A Practical Guide to Producing and Harvesting White-tailed Deer". In his book he dispels a lot of myths about white tail deer and hunting and it should be required reading.

In his book he states that there are a number of deer that just are not killable, just too smart. In the last couple of years, there has been several B/C deer come off 20 acre tracks of land.
Prior to being killed, they had not been seen or captured on game camers.

my brother in law got this muley sept 24th opening day in NM. This sucker was so huge in body size that we had to 1/4 him to get him out. Horrible drag the first 1/4 mile and that was it before we decided it was to much.

Sean Gadhar said:
You white Tail hunter getting to hunt 3-4-5 or MORE deer. Wow!

Yes, those of us in prime whitetail country can generally shoot more than one deer, especially if willing to move around to units that have excess and higher bag limits.

But I'm not crying for those of you out west that have a bunch of different species to go after as residents, even if you do have to apply and wait a bit. My goodness...what DOESN'T Colorado have (other than Caribou and grizzly/brown bears)to hunt? You have Whitetail, Mule Deer, Antelope, Black Bear, Elk, Moose, Mountain Lion, small game and birds, Sheep......boo hoo hoo! :wink: :grin:

Richard...the buck in my picture was 5 1/2 years old, and that's not "ancient" and "super smart" to the degree some deer are, but obviously in a heavily hunted area he had something "upstairs". Was seen and/or photographed on game cams from 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 then went off the grid. On a windy day I bumped him in a small thicket I could barely see through. I was still over 50 yards away from it. He just stood in there and I just quietly backed out and formulated a plan that was put in motion three days later when all conditions were perfect to execute. If it had not been rut I doubt I'd have had the opportunity to harvest him. Luck is always a factor too.

Chasing the big guys (including being dedicated to passing the others) is so fun and intriguing. I certainly will not kill a buck every year, especially considering the limitations of equipment, but when I get one, it's been a real challenge and a supreme experience.

Spikebuck,

Nice deer, your fawns are the size of our adult deer.

I have been fortunate to hunt in numerous states for numerous animals. My goal was to harvest a nice representative animal of what I was hunting and I have been successful.

I put one critter in the book, my wife asked later, do you want that on your tombstone? At that point, the book was no longer important.

Having fun is.

Would I like to kill a B/C deer, yep, not going to happen where I hunt and I am not going to pay for one.

I watched over 20 bucks last year and took one which was barely over the minimum size, you do not shoot your best bull in the field. I shot a doe for the food bank and the next day 2 hogs, one for me and one for the food bank.

Going is the most important thing. Two years ago I had some health challenges and my wife fixed breakfast, loaded me up into the truck, stuffed me into the blind while on crutches and left me with a cell phone and said when you have had enough fun call me.

Kapaw

perhaps we should trade a hunt? I got a farm in southern Iowa and we have some nice bucks. Youth season going on right now. My youngest and I have been chasing bucks around. He missed a nice 8 point Saturday night with his ML.

Got 3 or so 10 pointers on trail cam this year.

fleener

fleener

Richard Eames said:
Two years ago I had some health challenges and my wife fixed breakfast, loaded me up into the truck, stuffed me into the blind while on crutches and left me with a cell phone and said when you have had enough fun call me.

Yea I married up as well :grin:

You are always welcome brother. Working on some access right now for Chital deer and Buffalo. Always a few pigs about too.

wonder if my wife would mind? Would love to head to the land "down under" but most likely will not be anytime soon.

thanks

fleener

Spikebuck said:
But I'm not crying for those of you out west that have a bunch of different species to go after as residents, even if you do have to apply and wait a bit. My goodness...what DOESN'T Colorado have (other than Caribou and grizzly/brown bears)to hunt? You have Whitetail, Mule Deer, Antelope, Black Bear, Elk, Moose, Mountain Lion, small game and birds, Sheep......boo hoo hoo! :wink: :grin:

and mountain goat :blah: Fishings not bad either. :wink:

B.C. has Rocky and Rosie Elk, Alaska/Yukon, Canada and Shiras Moose, Rocky Mtn. and California Bighorns as well as Stones and Dalls, Bison, Caribou, Mtn. Goat, White tails, Mulies, Fallow deer, Columbia and Sitka Blacktails, Black Bears and Grizzlies. Only the Rosie Elk, Bison, Dall Sheep and Grizzly are on a draw, everything else is available in a genral open season somewhere in the province. I have hunted moose, elk wt and mulies and most of my hunting is for elk!

Living in Oregon we have all three.. Grew up on the S. coast and so cut my teeth on the Blacktail. Kilt a plenty.
Started muzzleloader hunting and took one Mule-Deer and then fell in love with the Whitetail.

I still think the blacktail are the prettiest of the deer in not the smallest.

Latest posts

Back