• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

white Mt. sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuc

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T/C White Mt. Carbine. The rear sight is a U-notch at the bottom of curved valley. Front sight is a bead in profile. I would like a square notch on a level rear sight. The bead front I can address with a file, but the rear sight offers no room to work with. A phone call to T/C said the current Hawken sight would not interchange. Any ideas?

Right, the sight base on the Hawken is made for the Octagon barrel whereas the Wht Mtn is round, :(

However, take note of this recent thread and it's photo's; http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/269754/

Then, look at this;

HPIM0575.jpg

So the Patridge blade could be mounted to your exsiting base.
I found filing that bead off the front leaving just a post (been there) lends that front blade mighty darn thin, it's tough to center for reasonable target accuracy and too small to be of decent use hunting.

Just throwing out an idea,
Swap out the front blade, then you could try some thin metal or even rigid plastic crazy glued to the face of the rear and cut to make it like a Patridge,, :idunno:

Oh and Welcome to (finally posting on) the Forum, :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
the white mountain barrel is octagon where the rear sight goes. the problem is t/c used a different sight on the wht mtn for some reason and changed hole spacin' on hawkens. you could make a hawken sight work but you may only be able to use one screw. the real problem with that is a hawken sight will have the sloped, round notched blade yer tryin' to get away from for what it's worth, luck to ya and have a good'en friend, bubba.

my reply was meant for nuc. i just keep forgettin' & hit reply on the bottom box.

Ah! Thank you bubba for the right answer!
Never had a Wht Mtn myself, :redface:

Well then, I've more than one that's just fine with just one screw holding the site in

Necchi, I had seen that thread. Thanks. The base of a new Hawken sight could be drilled to produce a new hole for the second screw so that it would line up with the one on my barrel, could'nt it? But you said I'd still have the valley sight with a U-shape, so I guess that is what's on the new current production hawken. Thanks for you replies. I'll keep investigating options. The problem is...I was sighting on a deer (Just sighting, mind you, as it is not deer season yet here in Texas. I was out looking for a hog.) The rifle is new-to-me and I noticed that at appx 60 yards the front bead covered the whole of the deer's chest area in the fading light of late afternoon. I don't think I can place a shot very accurately. At paper targets in the bright light of morning, it groups well: round bead situated on a round target works good, but I don't feel confident in the field with it.

Take a look at the photo of the front site phoenix113 show's, it's from a TC Renegade, you can find'm on auction sites every so often.

I never tried to drill another hole, you gotta be spot on with that hole and the screw head fits in a recess ta boot.
Just using one screw holds just fine, we're not talking massive CF recoil here.

Another thing I do is carry "White Out" with me, it starts getting duskish a little white on the front really helps, a black magic marker changes it back or a scrape of a knife blade.

The contender sight that I have on my New Englander wouldn't work on your White Mt. barrel because it is not round like mine. An option if you can't find an old T/c Renegade sight would be the fiber optic firesights made by Willians. Thier is a set of fiber optic sights made RMC on E-Bay now for sale if you want to check them out. If by chance you can find an old Renegade rear sight, TOTW has a front sight that you can finish your self that would go with the Renegade rear.

Do you think the screw holes will line up with a Renegade rear sight on a White Mt. barrel? Like like that option. Personally, I don't care for fire sights - that would be like taking the first small step toward a modern in-line muzzleloader, kind of like they say marijuana leads to worst drugs.

Can't say for fact that they would, but looking at the rear sight of the white Mt. it looks just like the one on a renegade. I would say find a set of Renegade sights off E-Bay and try them. If they don't work it will be no problem relisting them saleing them again to get your money back. If you don't won't to go that route, simply call T/C and ask a service guy.

Back