• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whitney 12 ga SxS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend of mine just acquired a couple really nice old double barrel percussion Shotguns. This one is what we believe to be a Whitney Arms percussion SxS. I looked at a few past auctions online and it doesn't seem that they sell for very much at all. But that's beside the point, the gun is is really good shape and can be fired if we can figure out how to fix the right hammer. Which is why I'm posting.
The hammers are held on not by a screw like any other side lock, but by some kind of square collar (washer if you will) with a round hole in the middle, that is (I guess) pressed onto the tumbler. Anyway, the right hammer has this collar missing so the hammer will just come right off. Is anyone familiar with this shotgun and have any idea how we can replace this part. I'm going back over there today and I'll get some pics. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Any Info greatly appreciated.
KIMG0834.jpg
KIMG0835.jpg
KIMG0836.jpg
KIMG0837.jpg
KIMG0838.jpg

Since there is no sign of threading on the tumbler end, it would seem that the collar was a press fit. The collar on the left hand lock looks as if it might be brass, which should work well for a press fit. It should be a fairly simple job for a machinist or gun smith to fabricate. I would guess around an hour of labor. you might be able to fabricate something that would work out of a thick brass washer, carefully reaming out the center hole until it would press on very tight.

(Typically, the hammer is pressed on to the square end of the tumbler and unlikely to come loose, but is also retained by a male screw cap threading into female threads in the tumbler end. This is clearly a different system.)

Latest posts

Back