• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who among us are PIPE smokers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple 30+ year old briars, and a century + old meerschaum. Can’t find decent, let alone good pipe tobacco in my area. I’ll smoke cheap (Backwoods) cigars at SASS gatherings. The heavy hitters always offer me good cigars, but since I can’t afford to reciprocate…
Going to grow my own this next year. Have Virginia, Connecticut and Cuban varietal seeds.
I have tried all kinds of 'locally' available blends and brands, never much found one I like or if I do it's for one of those 'Jars' that someone blended by hand - go back for more and it's gone, ask what was used to blend it, no one knows.

I find my tobacco online, just like a lot of BP stuff, have delivered to my door, save the time and gas searching for the postage and handling.

Who here is also a pipe smoker? Not necessarily int he traditional sense....but enjoys a good pipe and tobacco after a day of shooting. .I would love to know what your are smoking (pipe) and what is your favorite blend....For me I smoke a few pipes, but my go to right now is a Missouri Meerschaum Dune Cobbit pipe, and I love County Squire Tombigbee......
Do bongs count? LOL!

I have a couple 30+ year old briars, and a century + old meerschaum. Can’t find decent, let alone good pipe tobacco in my area. I’ll smoke cheap (Backwoods) cigars at SASS gatherings. The heavy hitters always offer me good cigars, but since I can’t afford to reciprocate…
Going to grow my own this next year. Have Virginia, Connecticut and Cuban varietal seeds.
What type pipe tobacco do you like.
I worked in a pipe shop years ago. Things have changed, a lot of the older brands imported or not have been bought by an amalgamation and aren’t the same.
I’d recommend checking out Smokingpipes.com. In SC. They have a large variety and shipping isn’t bad. And they have sales from time to time. You can buy tinned or they have in some cases bulk available

What type pipe tobacco do you like.
I worked in a pipe shop years ago. Things have changed, a lot of the older brands imported or not have been bought by an amalgamation and aren’t the same.
I’d recommend checking out Smokingpipes.com. In SC. They have a large variety and shipping isn’t bad. And they have sales from time to time. You can buy tinned or they have in some cases bulk available
It was a jet black grown in Connecticut. Usually used for all leaf cigars. Absolutely zero stem or seed particles, no flavorings. Last place I found it was on the Muckleshoot reservation in Auburn WA. Very cool temperature smoke, no “brush fire” effect like you get from cheap tobacco.
Used to smoke Borkum Riff or a flue cured Virginia when I was in college, from a small tobacconist in Lewiston Idaho.
Can’t find either in southwest Tennessee.

I smoked a pipe for 20 years and relocated every 3 - 4 years for work. I felt like an archeologist in every town trying to dig up tobacco. But the overriding factor in choosing was my wife's approval of the aroma. I quite after getting strep throat for 2 weeks. She's happy!!!! The tobacco always had to pass her nose test.

I smoked a pipe for 20 years and relocated every 3 - 4 years for work. I felt like an archeologist in every town trying to dig up tobacco. But the overriding factor in choosing was my wife's approval of the aroma. I quite after getting strep throat for 2 weeks. She's happy!!!! The tobacco always had to pass her nose test.
I agree pipe tobacco has a pleasant aroma, the other varieties just flat stink.

Here is a Stanwell pipe that I got recently as an unfinished bowl. I'm in the process of applying a protective finish to the wood.
Stanwell Pipe.jpg

i am 67 years old today! my mom and died when they were 63 years old! of heart attacks, they smoked, i never have. i enjoy breathing, just saying,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Pipe is a lot different than cigarettes.
Surgeon General of the US found pipe smokers had an average of three year longer lifespan then non smokers.
In this case it wasn’t any health benefits from smoking but that pipe smokers tended to be low stress people
The UK, Sweden and Netherlands all did studies that showed it took five bowls a day smoker to show any health risk, and seven bowls a day to lose life span.
Good pipe tobacco is much lower in carcinogens then cigarette tobacco
Don’t misunderstand that I’m claiming it’s safe, but the health risk of a couple of bowls a day are on par with a few drinks a day

Pipe is a lot different than cigarettes.
Surgeon General of the US found pipe smokers had an average of three year longer lifespan then non smokers.
In this case it wasn’t any health benefits from smoking but that pipe smokers tended to be low stress people
The UK, Sweden and Netherlands all did studies that showed it took five bowls a day smoker to show any health risk, and seven bowls a day to lose life span.
Good pipe tobacco is much lower in carcinogens then cigarette tobacco
Don’t misunderstand that I’m claiming it’s safe, but the health risk of a couple of bowls a day are on par with a few drinks a day
LOL i will take my chances without sucking poisons into my lungs. your opinion may differ, you are certainly free to do what you want,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Latest posts

Back