• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

who builds heavy bench guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings BLAHMAN,

Sounds like you have a good start on a bench rifle. I hope it will exceed you expectations.

A commonly overlooked aspect in this bench PRB shooting is the use of wind flags. Many beginning bench shooters try to compete without flags and do not do well. Wind flags are an absolute necessity. Even the centerfire benchrest boys will not be without a set.

There are many things I would like to make CADD drawings of and get posted on the forum for any interested member.

Wind flags are one of those projects. I have never been able to judge wind force with flags or a daisy wheel, so several years back (or more) I made a wind gage that is placed at the 25 yard line. Since then my bench scores have improved and are more consistent. I am going to try to improve on that design before June 2006.

All of my aperture sights are Redfields, collected over the years, before the price skyrocketted. The sight is mounted on a sight bar made from CR mild steel 1/4 or 5/16 X 1 x 4 to 6 inchs long.

The sight bar is mounted to the barrel in front of the breech with 4, 6X 48 gunsmith screws. THE screws are spaced so 2 Weaver rifle scope bases, rings, and scope can be mounted for testing purposes. I have found this to be quite useful in testing, when you are trying to eliminate as much human error as possible. I use a target scope that has an AO front lense, so that parallax can be eliminated at all shooting ranges. Eliminating parallax is also very important in testing.

The sight bar is another CADD project.

For your front sight, I highly recommend the Anschutz globe sight. Currently. It is the only globe sight that has interchanbeable post and apertues. Competition rules call for either AM (any metallic) or Open Sights on certain targets.

The low end priced Anschutz Globe fits the bill for this purpose.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Walru, anyone wants to PM/PT a address Ill send the DVD with the48" pics I know nothing about how to do it and kid cant get it to work, anyone want to just give me a address to send it to I will get it out today. Fred :hatsoff:

I can't remember the barrel dimensions, but it is heavy!

I've never shot anything like these, I'm predominately a flint shooter, so this stuff is a first!

I picked up a disc tang sight for $35.00, a TC I think.

Right now the gun is at another guy's house. I need to put in the nipple, work down the stock a bit, add a buttplate and do a few odds and ends. Then I get to learn!

Oh, and by the way (this is embarresing) I do need to join the NRA.

Now, how did you know??????

(Thanks for the kind reminder)

John hate to pic your brain (on changeover lost your e mail) anyway, Redfield is a bit high for some of us, but the question is merit adjustable still a good one to use or is it "old hat".Fred :hatsoff:

Greetings FW,

Well, you are right about the Redfield sights, With the way the used ones have shot up in price, they have become too high for me.

Some of the guys are using the Williams Target Sight, and doing well with them. They do not seem to be as quick adjusting as the older Redfields, but that might be unfair of me to make that criticism, since I have not used one, only observed 2 or 3 in use. Perhaps some of the forum members have had more experience with the Williams Target Sight.

The Merit Disc is not "old hat". It is still very popular, especially with the pistol shooters. I have one, but can never seem to get mine adjusted quite right. Must be those "nekkid girls" of Davy's distracting me.

I do prefer the Merit Disc that interchanges in the apperture on my Redfields. They are GREAT!

Hope this answers your question Fred. Remember this information is only a talking point and not to be actually attempted or used. I Disclaim ALL RESPONSIBLITY for any fustration associated with claims of improved shooting and further efforts to improve even more.

John L. Hinnant

walruskid1 said:
john, thank you and everybody else for the input. i will probably install a fixed rear sight on my underhammer target and try it in a chunk match somewhere. the peep aperature unscrews easy enough. fred, i wish you were closer. i'd love to see that 48" underhammer. when cash flow improves i think theres another target rifle in my future.

xbench9.jpg

Well I found another photo of John's small bore ... believe me its a heavy S*B! :cursing:
Course he never fires it .. just lugs it around to work out with to show fer tha nekid dancin gurls! :rotf:

Davy

Blahman:

It is a Green Mountain 50 caliber barrel, 11/8 inch across the flats. The twist is 1 turn in 70 inches. Should be a good round ball bench gun. When you get it finished let me know so we can go to Friendship and shoot round ball bench. I have the community gun and am working on a numrich 45 caliber bench gun or cross sticks gun.

Olie

Greetings Olie and Blahman,

If you rifles have an easily interchangeable barrel system, you might want to consider getting an extra 40 cailber barrel for the "squirrel gun " bench rest matchs. Max allowable weight is 14 ponds. This is a popular event at Friendship.

All of you forum members who have never been to the NMLRA CHAMPIONSHIPS at Friendship, Indianna should go and shoot in every event you can get into. It is the experience of a lifetime for a ML shooter. Just being there will compel you to shoot better than your best.

Traders row has to be seen to be believed.

John L. Hinnant

Thanks John, now do I belive you or are you throwing me off..... I can see I never should of thought up the nakid dancin gurls.. its got a life of its own and someone sure as shoot will show up with a few ( Davy you got that) I know it'll do no good but Im out every day busting 50 (at least) shots out of the Hawken and 48"er (wish someone would PM a address so I could get the pics up) Id like to try the other sights, but I hate to mess up something thats shooting better than I can .( I never thought sitting in a wheelchair all this time would be such a great help to crosss sticks).So who builds the old cross pin H+A 40cal barrels.(John just kidding about to trust what you tell me, I got the Ithaca just on what you posted and never been happyier. Fred :bow:

Olie,

I need to get down to Tom's place and pick that up. He was going to put that nipple in it.

Did I tell you I picked up a TC peep sight? Will that work, or do I need to get one like those you see on Track of the Wolf?

you guys head for friendship, let me know. i really want to try it. any type of competition appeals to me. time to try bp.

Greetings FW , BLAHMAN, and All,

Fred, if you are shooting good with the 48 incher, then do not change anything. I am a Life Member of THE IF IT IS NOT BROKE, DO NOT FIX IT! CLUB. Some time in the future, you might want to try aperture sights, and by all means, if a good one comes along at a bargain or "steal" price do not pass it up. You can always resale, probaly at a profit, if you do not like it.

I attend a gunshow each month just to look for things like that. Last year, I found a NIB Redfield Olympic for $100.00. Those deals do not come around too often, but they happen. Dot pass up a Model 75 either. Many of us have modified them into a great open sight. This is done without destroying the original intergrity of the sight.

Fitting a H&A Breech to a new 40 caliber barrel should not be much of a problem. The breech is basically just a bolt screwed into the barrel, and turned to fit the action. if you know of a home owner garage tinker with a lathe, you guys should be able to make a new breech that safe and reliable.

Green Mountain barrels are an excellant choice for both accuracy and price. Many custom barrels will not outshoot them. The custom barrel folks have the advantage in being able to offer options GM can not.

Well, The SOUND and Fury is telling me, that my allotted time on the computer has expired, and it is time for me to relocate, and go hand write some letters.

Will try to get to BLAHMAN's questions during my next scheduled time for the computer. This never happened to me during my bachelor days.

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying you load.

John now dont laugh your self into fits but Im useing the stock 3 hole peep on the H+A at 50 yds 60grs 3f Swiss it just puts one ball after the next on top of each other(it called for a 433,015 patch(teflon of course)I use 440 + 15 its tight but I can put 5 right into a spot less than a dime. Dont change it? how could I shoot the squirrel 40? Too? Ive got the H+A breach plugs, a barrel man but I had 3 of the top guys tell me you mess with takeing out that pin to change it and it can throw everything off and never get right again. Didnt you just print IF IT IS Not.. You see my problem? Ill call Green again.And I dread even thinking of changeing the sights on the Ithaca, Dont want to put a Pin size scratch on it. Guess Ill go back to the rule book. Again thank you for all the help :bow: and if you pass on the next Brady( they do use logging chain for wind flags this/that time of the year)maybe I will have a chance to come in next to last. Remember this should be the first month in years I will be out of the wheelchair :grin:(and throw everythig off!) Fred

Blahman;

The sight should work O.K. You will have to set the front sight about the same height as the rear sight, I think. Maybe someone on the forum can help with this question. If you need a globe front sight ,let me know

Let me know if you need more help.

Good luck Blahman,
Olie

Hey Walrus(kid), Received a Hopkins&Allen UH today. Stamped 'The .45 Target' - .45 cal - 1 1/8" x 31 3/4" barrel. WITH the infamous lollipop rear peep. It has 3 peep size holes. GunBroker came thru again. Mike

Same thing I have but mine is 48" dont know if it was a 1of or what, takes 433 ball(that was the book size, I went up to 440 and the teflon patch, I love the sights 5 shot 4/8" at 50yds is OK with me. 3 shot have been closer,3 on top of each other, did you get the front apt with the small hole or a blade? I pulled the mid sight out and its 4 sided for 4 different front inserts. Fred have you tryed to fit any none ball in the bore? the short REALs is all I can start in mine,thats the only 45 that would start. Again Fred

WaL Run it back to "tight patchs" 11/01 read Johns post on it about oversize ball for the bore ect, it works I have tryed all his tricks he :bow: knows it all, and wins whenever he shoots,wherever he shoots. I tryed the teflon patch and use it anytime Im target shooting and some times just goofing(thats the only kind of patch I have now) Fred :hatsoff:

Fred, my front sight is the hooded type with a square post. I thought it was a modern insert type, but appears the post is non-removable. Forgot to mention, it also has the brass triggerguard extension seen on the Heritage model. Mike

If it has 3 post comeing out around the outside of the hood you can just pull the insert out(it wont unscrew but is nurled on both ends of hood? If you have the center sight (MARBLE) you loosen that small screw and the center comes out its 4 sided. Took me a month at shooting before I figured that out, a V,U, and 2 notches for the post front insert. Fred

Back