• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who carries a time piece?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First post here. I quit wearing a watch years ago, and I don't really carry one either, plenty enough time pieces all over. I did start carrying a sundial compass from JAS Townsend though. Shoot fer that matter I don't even have a cell phone.

You sound like a man after my own heart. I stopped wearing/carrying a time piece after I retired. I know when it's time to head home when it starts getting dark. At the cigar club that I frequent, I'm the only one that doesn't have a cell phone embedded in the side of my head. Glad to see that I'm not the only "old crank" walking around.

Vern

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? Eat when yer hungry, drink when yer dry, and sleep when yer tired? I'm 42 now, and I was 37 when I decided to not be a slave to that confounded contraption. 'Course in my line of work (military) a watch is kind of a necessity, I just like ta be my own man as long as I am able to meet all other requirements. Kinda freeing in a way.

As a military reenactor I really need to carry a watch because we are required to fall in for various events throughout the day and being late is frowned upon. I carry an original 1790 verge fusee. Solid silver case. It keeps time +/- one minute per day. I carry it at French & Indian War reenactments and when I go to various colonial events with a gentleman persona. I carry it in my breeches pocket with a sewn ribbon which holds the winding key.
Watch-1790.JPG

Watch-1790-small.JPG

As a woodsman, I have no need for a time piece.

I did stop wearing my modern time piece. It was hard, having worn one since grade school, to not wear it. But, I was tired of the white ring around my wrist when im at an even or in ye woods. So, off it went! ;) :)

I too carry a Jas Townsend piece, not really for any other reason than I like to know the time! those that know me, know I have a strong dislike for cell phones in general - not just in period! I keep my watch in my weskit, but usually don't bother to attach the chain as the pocket is plenty deep by itself. might be a regretable decision but I haven't had to learn that lesson yet! :wink:

time pieces were unnecessary for most people in the 18th Cent. and before. Anyone who needed to know the time and could afford one might have one.
Ships officers, for example, needed to know the time...time and tide...
Other people might need to know the difference between 10 and 11 o'clock as well. Most people just had to be somewhere early in the morning, mid day, afternoon or evening. The exact time was not as important. For a few it was.

As I study the personal effects of people in the California colonial time period, say 1830 onwards, at local California missions and museums, I'm surprised at how many of the men had timepieces. They may not have needed to know the time but they had watches. Their watches are all over the place here. I can't really explain it, and it is VERY possible that they were just status symbols, but they had them. Most of what I see now are broken.

Officers and sergents had them so they could post the guard and other military functionsreliant on timetables.

I think it was the advent of rail travel that made it important to be a little more precise about time. Not being on time to catch your ride could be embarrassing.

Now the tricky bit on time and trains. Until the civil war and the military railroad there was NO standardization of time.

Nice watch, Doc! I like the early keywinds and that one is a beaut. I carry a later 1800's 18S watch. Since I emulate my great (X's six) grandfather who was a statesman and a lawyer who lived in the city, I felt it was appropriate.

I read that it was not until 1883 that the railroads went to standard time. Many localities did not convert for years after that.

My father passed away 16 years ago, and I being the eldest son and a Jr. I inherited his retirement gift piece, gold pocket watch. Engrave initial on the outside and a "Thanks for the years of dedication and friendship." inscribed inside. I also use a Rangers compass/ sundial that is pretty accurate when you learn how to use it.

Mad Irish Jack...Treasure the watch, as I'm sure you will...I started this post while thinking about my great grandfathers watch, it was simple and gold with a key wind....stolen along with some of his guns by no-do-gooders, the police caught one of them pawning my dads high school ring, but never got the guns or watch back....I think on it often :cursing:

This is off topic but I also got his monogramed pewter mug with a wolfhound handle (Our initials and nicknames were the same) and I also got his butcher knife that was a graduation gift from the U.S. Army Cook School in Norcross, GA at the begining of WW II. He was a mess Sgt. in the PA 9th US Army Air Corp. The wood handle butcher makesa perfect utility carry piece for my F&I persona. I take special care of them all. :wink:

As mine is a "skeletal" aka see through so you can see the gears, I am all but certain that aside from being a pocket watch it is not period.. I cld be wrong, but I dont expect to be.
Mine at any rate is new, a Charles Hubert of Paris. Not bad for $250. But, like I said, probably not period.

Back