• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who else has "given up" trekking/re-enacting. Why?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasMLer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

Well, I tried. :)

But, gladly I find out that this hobby was not for me before spending trillions of dollars on gear.

I have made the decision to leave the re-enacting/living history/trekking (whatever you choose to call it) to the re-enactors/living historians/trekkers (whatever you choose to call them...can think of a few more labels :haha:).

Reason: These guys are freakin' nuts! -just joking, well sorda... :haha:

Real Reason: I have learned that there is no "correct" gear. If no two people can agree on what is correct, then there is no "correct". I like to do things the right way, and if I can't do things the right way, I'll do something else.
Also, I honestly would rather spend my time with people who enjoy what they are doing. From what I have learned, a lot of these people are angry, impatient, and have a "I know more than you so I'm better" attitude. I have actually been told, "Listen sonny, we all had to do our own research so you hurry along and do your own too. We have better things to do than try to answer your lame questions!". Seriously, someone called me "sonny"! :crackup:

I do love history and muzzleloading and will continue to study history and shoot. That will never change. However, I have learned that I would rather spend my time shooting at the range beside one of the 20-year-olds spraying lead from an AK than going to an event with some of these...ahem..people. This was a hard decision because I was looking forward to the hobby, but I "saw the light" so to speak. Suddenly, I'm much happier not worrying about all the :bull: that comes along with it.

Thanks for listening to my rant. :crackup:

Have any of you come to the same conclusion?
Maybe you quit the historical aspect of muzzleloading for other reasons. What was YOUR reason?

Thanks!
:thumbsup:

TexasMLer- I never got the chance to get started. Went to a "VOUS" in WYO. just to see if it was something that I would be interested in. I just started getting into M/L. Went to the primitive camp and politely asked if I could take some pictures, explained that I was interested learning . Everyone just rolled their eyes, made me feel about as local as a fish in a tree! Left and never looked back.(went out and joined SASS the next day) The other side of the story, went to Encampment(WYO) last summer. Just about had to be dragged,had the best time of my life. Everyone there bent over backwards to show and teach(how to do bead work,early blacksmithing,leather working, tanning hides,you name it was there). Best three days I have had in a long time...No one made fun of my Lyman GPR either. I have other muzzleloaders, I just grabbed that one on my way out the door. If we want new members,new shooters, maybe we should stop and try to remember how it was when we were new....Respectfully Montanadan( who is still a new guy)

well science you asked,
I have seen a big drop in WWII reenacting science the 50th
aneversy, I guess the fad wore off,
as a mex war guy or "the real forgotton war", thers only a handfull around the country, so its hard to keep up the intrest, I guess the cival war guys still do ok,
but it seems intrest peaks and then fades every time a movie comes out,

frankley frank the one thing that bothers me about the MM
people is the earring wearing biker element, wich wouldnt
be so bad if thay would just pick up a book evrey now and then :imo:

keep in mind that living history is somthing you do for yourself; to get the feel of the times, the best thing
to do with us know it alls, is to pick our brains till thay bleed :crackup:
and dont accept anybodys word for anything, whithout
documentation.
yes the civiallian element of reenacting is somewhat impricse, but the military side is much more well documented
and cut and dried. becouse the uniform regs still exhist.
and the funist part of the hobby is arguing tactics, :youcrazy:

more volinteers capn brag
BB

MONTANADAN, My sentiments exactly. I've not been invovled with muzzleloading for decades but have been fortunate to have met a great group of people who shoot monthly and are more than willing to help or advise all the newbies, if you come just to watch a match, they'll drag you up and loan you a gun and help you shoot. We all learn from each other. There is no mistake you can make that has not been done before, that helped you and others learn, and became wisdom that you should pass along. I'm glad I missed out on meeting the groups that will laugh at your gear or make fun of your gun. Not being as much a gentleman as some, I'd probably have to dot someone's eye for them. :m2c:

Of course there is a big difference between shooting muzzleloaders and reenacting/trekking. Alot of folks shoot MLs and never own any other period gear, except maybe a powder horn and pouch. I am one of those who began with both the love of longrifles and history, but started with the shooting end of it. It took me years to warm up to the idea of dressing up like an 18th century person, then I almost was chased out of the hobby by the snobbish element (which hopefully is minor). Fortunately there are groups out there that will take you in and help you along in the period correct ways, clothes and gear of the 18th (or early 19th) century. Some of these folks know a lot less than many of us shooters about the guns and shooting, but they have studied the other stuff. Trade knowledge with them.

I am relatively new to the hobby and don't own any fancy guns or equipment and don't own a lot of PC clothing but put together what I can when I can afford it. I have attended a couple of vous as a day participant and haven't yet run into the PC snobs just yet. They all seem to be amazed when I hit the target with my $100 CVA rifle though. I have been putting on a woods walk event for the last two years at my club and have a small yet enthusiastic crew attending. It seems to be human nature that in any hobby or pursuit there are those who take them selves too seriously and ruin the fun of an activity that is intended to enhance our lives. Good grief, don't we all get enough of that competative me first attitude in our day to day lives? Why bring it to our past times. Before I start the woods walk I make it clear that if you have to be first or best this is not the event for you,ITS ALL ABOUT FUN!

Some day I would like to try the encampment thing and hope I have the self confidence to ignore the finatics.

Don

If I may say here I have found a few things through my years .
If a group rolled their eyes when ask a question then probably all their gear was store
bought and you don

I don't claim to reenact but I guess if someone knew me they would think that I am somewhat of a MM reenactor. A true MM reenactor would laugh me out of a rondy though. Problem is, I didn't get into this hobby to be around others. I know it sounds lame but honestly, that is why I use this forum. I bounce questions off people here and there and do my own thing either alone or with my family. I make stuff, buy stuff, shoot stuff and sell stuff all around what makes me happy. If someone else I happen to cross paths with is remotely interested in what I do, we talk it up with a clear notion that I claim nothing. I am not PC but I lean that way, I am not historically accurate because I have spent the majority of the past 10 years mastering computers rather than history books even though sometimes I wish I had gone the other way. I am passionate about what I do though and am faithful to muzzleloading tradition (my own definition of course). I like to hang with people who will teach without being judgemental and will tolerate someone else's viewpoint. I claim nothing other than that I like to have fun.

My idea of a dream come true would be to just live on 600 acres in a cabin with my family and hunt all day with my son and our lancaster rifles and come home to my wife and daughters, grab my guitar and sing and play music with the family until the moon shines! If that fits any period in history than I guess that's what I reenact. Maybe The Walton's reenactment camp.

--------------------
I am like our English language...I before E except after C, most of the time :thumbsup:

Hey Tex, Don't give up yet! Take your time, study the period you want to do, gather your gear whenever you can find it and afford it and keep shooting. Nobody including those horse's butts who gave you a hard time, has gotten all of their stuff and impression "correct" right off the bat. I used to re-enact the CW and it took me years to get everything the way that I wanted. And believe me, CW re-enacting has it's share of anal "Period Correct" people. We had a unit in Virginia who were designated as PC inspectors who gigged a guy in a sister regiment for his glasses even though he had documentation showing that they were correct for the period. His entire company walked off the field in protest and ours started to but they begged us not to do it (the co. that walked). And that co. and ours were two of the most correct units on the field! Brother, you can't escape those people, but you can find some who are more tolerant and helpful. After all those years of CW and shooting ML's I finally joined a longhunter group here. I still don't have my clothing together yet, but I have a year to do it in. It will probably take a lot longer to get it good enough to suit me. Hang in there and do what you can. Don't give up too quick on something that can bring you much joy and satisfaction.

:agree:
I guess I stopped before I started as I got really turned off up front from prejudice folks. I still see prejudice quite often, even here in this forum. A forum I like very much.

My question is "how does one correctly start" with very limited time so to not have to deal with the egomaniacs and just focus on a having a good time? Do I have to carry a handmade or custom rifle? Must I forge my own knife, make my own clothes? Do I need to learn to speak differently?

:hmm: :huh:

Are there any clubs that publish clear understandable requirements for participation? Requirements that folks honor?
I'm still looking, albeit not that hard.

I just love shooting and ML's of every kind. Less BS and more friendship.

Hell, last weekend I went rabbit hunting with a fellow and he had his new T/C Encore In-line that I helped him pick out and I had my worn but trusty T/C New Englander Perc. Had a really great time, neither was worried or uptight, got a rabbit each and switched rifles for the afternoon.
Went for beers and a sandwich afterwards and then to my shop to detail clean the rifles.

My kind of rendezvous I suppose.
:thumbsup: ::

Everyone has made some really good points. I have found that most clubs are just like high school. They all have like groups inside the bigger one. Ours is a relatively small group, usually 40 camps at the biggest rendezvous. Some are more correct than the others, but most are willing to help anyone that wants to know.
We have one person who carries correct to the letter and he doesn't say a word to discourage a newcomer. We really want our group to survive a flourish. It must be working because we added 5 new members this past weekend.
I tell most newcomers to start with the least expensive gear they can find, visit a few events to look around before purchasing something that expensive and maybe not be needed. Look for the smiling people and strike up conversation. None of us know everything, so don't take all that is said as gospel. Research ! Have fun and relax. NO PHONE OR TV.

Slash

TexasMler

Who ever rolled their eyes at you were not the type of people you would want to learn from or camp near. I respect and admire people who are very wrapped up in it but when it comes right down to it, IT"S A HOBBY! I am sure some can make money at it but for the vast majority, it's supposed to be fun and it's just a hobby.

I'd like to do everythng I undertake in a perfect and logical manner. But I also live in the real world and sometimes just getting something "close enough" has to be sufficient.

I am into BP because of rendezvous. Well, not exactly. I love the looks and feel of those firearms but I only have couple and I don't know if I will buy many more. They are part of an overall interest in firearms, history and the fun we have at rendezvous.

The couple of rondys that we like have a good bunch of people that are a mix of "stitch counters" (no offense meant) and those that are more relaxed about it. I think it takes a mix of both types to learn from but also to keep things in perspective. Each time we go to rondy, we pick up little things that make us feel as if we are improving our look. I think that is the secret. If you are having fun, enjoying the things you have made or purchased, and have a friendly group of people camped around you, what else could be asked for?

To us, evrybody we know at rondys looks better and has more knowledge about history than we do. But everyone of them tells us that we are accepted because we are INTERESTED. That is all that seems to matter to the folks we know. We rediscovered rendezvous about 6 or 7 years ago and feel very good about the whole thing. We may be newbies forever when compared to those with the time and passion to be PC. If when I was first doing a lot photography at rendezvous I was treated as you were, I may feel the same as you do. But from I can tell, the bad experience you have endured is not the norm, well anyway, we have only encountered the folks that are helpul and friendly.

I am not at all trying to change your decision, I just hoped to tell you that you were mistreated by ignorant and or arrogant people. You could camp next to me anytime and we would have fun.

I love going out back on our land and shooting alone in the woods, or sometimes with my brother when he's around. As far as re-enactment goes, this seems to be about the most authentic experience possible - after all, being along is what most frontiersmen did most of the time, not rendezvous. Maybe I'm a loner but to me it's a very personal thrill and I'm happy enough sharing some of my excitement on this forum, not with a crowd of 'real' people. I guess I'm fortunate having my own land too (worked hard for it!).
I spend about half of my year in England for work and family reasons and usually every weekend in summer take my daughter to a castle or other historic site, where there are often re-enactors. The re-enactment scene in the UK is huge, from Romans and Vikings to WW2 etc. I'm fascinated by it all but personally have never been tempted. There are some great people, but I find that many of them seem threatened when they realise you know something about their 'subject.' Also it just seems plain boring a lot of the time, and a little weird. I think re-enactment in N America has the great advantage that shooting is a big part of the activity whereas in the UK it is so restricted.
The Brits are fascinated by all things American and it's hilarious seeing immacutely authentic cowboys re-enactors, or WW2 GIs, who talk back at you with impenetrable Liverpool or similar accents!

I just love shooting and ML's of every kind.

:agree:

Couldn't have said it better!

I love going to rendys, although in Australia there are only two "events" that come close to a real rendy; one is held in Queensland every 2 years, and the other twice per year in Victoria. We have all the gear to be able to set up in the primitive areas of both these rendys, but I am quite sure that if we tried this at a REAL/US rendy, we would be pushed in to the modern section. As there isn't a huge rendy following in Oz, it's understandable that no one looks to closely at your gear, however, the organisers of the Queensland rendy have just advised that period clothing must be worn if you want to participate in the shooting events.
Unfortunately, work commitments have ensured that we have not been able to attend a rendy for 3.5 years :curse: so I have been relegated to shooting BP comps once per month.
I agree that it can be a daunting task to become perfectly PC, and for some it is worth the expense &/ effort, and for others like myself, we just have to make do with what we can.
Each to his/her own, but lets all have fun doing whatever it is we do!
:imo:
Jim.

I know just what you are talking about! When I first started this MM hobby, I made the mistake of going to a National vous first. To period correct for me. I then started going to the small local vous. A whole new world. I found more people were willing to answer my questions and give me any help I might need. As my wife walked through a camp this weekend in 21 st Century clothing( cowboy boots levis and a t shirt) we were offered breakfast ! I spent all day just listening. No one was worried about a plastic ice chest out in the open. I will stay with the small groups and enjoy and learn all I can.

At my age I don't put up with snobs :thumbsup:
Wayne

We only are able to make the local events and everyone is helpful and friendly wherever we have been.Too bad ya got put off by those folks that time.

It sounds like you guys can relate! I do realize that not everyone at the events are total pricks, but I really don't need to let the one that might step on my last nerve cause me to do something that would get me in trouble (i.e. stomp a mudhole!). :crackup: -joking...I'm far from violent...just don't ask any squirrels about me, though. They would surely disagree! :haha:

No sir, I'm much better-off sticking to myself.

One good thing that struck me like a bolt of lightning: by not spending money on period clothing/equipment I can get that nice flint smoothbore I've been wanting!!! :D I'm really much more into the shooting side of muzzleloading anyway. Afterall, muzzleloaders is what really attracted me to this wonderful website, not re-enacting.

Thanks for all your great replies on this subject and the friendly invitations! Now, why can't all the other re-enactors be like you fellers?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There is an old saw out there about"some people make your day by coming in,some make your day leaving"fortunately my club is so laid back its tough to get serious about most any thing except shooting.I find it very easy to ignore the nuts in the sport because there are so many just plain decent folks.

Amazing. Nearly all posts on this topic have been consistent with the spirit and the tolerance we all would like. It seems the few "stitch counters" and the PC Police tend to make life miserable for the majority. I always wanted to know........just who are these people??!! They have to have names! Maybe a list of them should be posted for all to know! Why did we not get a response from one of these folks on this thread? Yes, it is very easy for them to make issues and run people off, but if they were listed in some form of membership in the Period Correct Stitch Counters Ass-ociation then maybe they will have the respect and fear they so desire.

I said it in another thread.......we all evolved in this hobby and no one has the right to treat others in a condescending manner.

Yes, we hear of a few, strictly period correct events where everything has to be absolutely authentic. Maybe every rendezvous and event that has a PCSCA member should list him on the flyer! (kind of like listing the Surgeon General's warning on cigarettes) THEN one will know if they dare take the chance and the challenge to go nose to nose with him!

TexasMLer, stay with it and find an camp that is more friendly and tolerant. There are far more events and Rondys for us than for the PCSCA.

TexiKan
--------------

If you continue to do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got.

RE-enacting camps and Rendezvous are a lot like Web Site Forums.
Some are populated with people who seem to get their enjoyment by looking down their nose at people and making condescending remarks in reply to questions. Often, the only fun these people have is upstaging the other people.

Others, (like Muzzleloadingforum) are populated with people who are willing to share knowledge whenever it is sought and accept people as they are. Fun at these places consists of knowing you've helped someone else have fun and sharing the fun others have had doing what you like to do.

Both places have a person here or there who doesn't fit the norm but it doesn't take long to find out what kind of people represent the majority.
That's why there are some web sites I refuse to even consider going to, and why there are a select few (like Muzzleloadingforum) I wouldn't miss a day at. :) :)

If your interested in Rendezvous or Re-enacting keep looking.
I'm sure there are a number of good folks to get together with.

Back