• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who else has "given up" trekking/re-enacting. Why?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe,.... I agree!! :thumbsup:

....... but I will admit to "rolling my eyes" from time to time!!

.... like when a pilgrim and his family stopped in front of my camp, and the pilgrim declared as "fact" to his wife and children,... "those old guns can't kill anything farther then 40-50 feet away",...!!

I calmly sat ther and "rolled my eyes"!! :rolleyes: :youcrazy:

I had a pilgrim lady ask me once,.... "how old does a deer have to be, before it becomes an elk"??

I've had a pilgrim "tell me",.... thet mountain men caused the extinction of all the buffalo!!

However, the "winner" has to be,.... (when I overheard a pilgrim) father tell'n his son, while pointing towards the fellas shooting muzzleloaders,... "Custer lost the Indian Wars, because all he had was old rifles like those (point' his finger) thet you drop a cartridge down the barrel to load.

I calmly sat ther and "rolled my eyes",.... while writ'n down this liddle "gem" of historical/muzzleloader information!!!! :rolleyes: :haha:

YMHS
rolling-eyes-b :crackup:

Thanks Rollingb for giving a perfect example of the attitude that I was describing. You know, the "I know more so I'm better" thing. Perfect example...

:thumbsup:

Thanks Rollingb for giving a perfect example of the attitude that I was describing. You know, the "I know more so I'm better" thing. Perfect example...

:thumbsup:

TexasMLer,.... :rolleyes: :haha:

YMHS
rollingb

I feel the same way when RollingB tells me my inline is less accurate, harder to clean, and less reliable than his flintlock. :shocking:

SP

J/K there RB....

Hmmm,gettin kinda Touche' Feely around here...
It's enough ta give a guy the warm fuzzys.Now alla ya sing Kumbya and we kin get on with tha arguin'. :winking:

Hmmm,gettin kinda Touche' Feely around here...
It's enough ta give a guy the warm fuzzys.Now alla ya sing Kumbya and we kin get on with tha arguin'. :winking:

PaulN/KS,

Have I told you lately that I love you? Now, come over here and give me a big 'ol hug! :crackup: :crackup:

Sorry, I couldn't resist! I know...lame. :haha:

I think (everbuddy put yer pencils down now), if you are gong to go to an event, you better know the rules. If you break 'em, they got the right to tell you the problem, alhtough it would be nice if they were nice about it. If you stumble into a strict reenactment and you're not ready, somebody erred.

At a show, some of those F & I guys in red suits handed me some literature. Right in there it states that they are strict about the uniforms. That is how they choose to enjoy the scene. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other places to go that cut some slack, without a problem.

Regards, sse

I fully agree. I would never even consider going to any event unless my gear was PC-squared-away. I also agree that any event organizers can make any rules they want. That has never been my gripe.

My gripe is with being talked down to and treated with disrespect when simply asking re-enactors/trekkers questions about PC gear/clothing/equipment. I've never even been to a rendezvous or event.

I think that some people who have replied to this post assumed that I went to a rendezvous/camp and was treated this way when I showed-up with incorrect gear. That was not the case and I wouldn't do that. Well, I wouldn't knowingly do that. I would make an attempt.

To clarify further: Everyone here on the forum have been more than nice when I have asked questions concerning PC stuff. Even when some of the questions that I asked could be considered stupid.

My gripe is with being talked down to and treated with disrespect when simply asking re-enactors/trekkers questions about PC gear/clothing/equipment. I've never even been to a rendezvous or event.

"Wher" do you find these fellas???? :hmm: ::

YMHS
rollingb

At my local range. Man, those guys have some NICE rifles too! One of the older guys has a rifle that looks a lot like one that Zonie would have made with the same beautiful wood finish.

Well, Wil, you stated a couple of points that are not usually consistent with most thread counters and past experience.

1. "Is all my stuff PC all the time, NO, but that is what I'm striving for and I encouage others, greenhorns and hivernauts alike,to strive for also."

2. "In the same grain, I'll not bad mouth anyone until they fire the 1st shot."

Everything you stated is acceptable, but how can I, if not PC correct, fire the first shot? Usually, someone comes up and TELLS me they question something and then states it "isn't correct." I did not bring up the topic! Fortunately, the events I attend have quite a bit of latitude, but even after 30 plus years in the hobby, I will be the first to admit I am still striving for better. Had I waited until I "had it all", I may have missed out on quite a bit of experiences.

The description of yourself seems to be one of the minority and one that would be very respectable. Rarely, if ever, have I heard of a stitch counter given credit for helping someone learn and improve. The reports tend to be those of one being told in an authoritarian and condescending manner. There seems to be a certain degree of rigidness.

So, where did they get their "authority"? Is there a sanctioning body to be qualified and certified as a stitch counter? Do stitch counters give informative clinics and sessions and write articles for us? How else are we supposed to learn other than to research, research, research on our own? That aspect never ends!

I have the greatest respect for those who have incredible information and knowlege. This form has proven to have those caliber of people, even though most of these folks may never proclaim themselves as "experts."

Here is one of my favorite quotes that can be modified to this topic:

"People will follow a manager because they have to. People will follow a leader because they want to."

Basically, I would rather learn from one who is helping and sharing rather than from one who is dictatorial about it. Inspire me to be better, don't tear me down because I am not.

And as I have told many students in my classes, (yes I was a teacher) "I don't hate you.....I just hate some of the things you do!"

The best teachers are the ones who don't flaunt their doctorial degrees or their vast expertise. The same is true of great leaders. They inspire and encourage.

TexiKan
---------------

If you continue to do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got.

TxMLer - It might help if you didn't go up to 'em and ask: "What the h*ll are ya wearin that for?" :winking: :winking:

Regards, sse

TxMLer - It might help if you didn't go up to 'em and ask: "What the h*ll are ya wearin that for?" :winking: :winking:

Regards, sse

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:That MUST have been my mistake! I'll have to remember that next time! :crackup:

Well, Wil, you stated a couple of points that are not usually consistent with most thread counters and past experience.

1. "Is all my stuff PC all the time, NO, but that is what I'm striving for and I encouage others, greenhorns and hivernauts alike,to strive for also."

2. "In the same grain, I'll not bad mouth anyone until they fire the 1st shot."

Everything you stated is acceptable, but how can I, if not PC correct, fire the first shot? Usually, someone comes up and TELLS me they question something and then states it "isn't correct." I did not bring up the topic! Fortunately, the events I attend have quite a bit of latitude, but even after 30 plus years in the hobby, I will be the first to admit I am still striving for better. Had I waited until I "had it all", I may have missed out on quite a bit of experiences.

The description of yourself seems to be one of the minority and one that would be very respectable. Rarely, if ever, have I heard of a stitch counter given credit for helping someone learn and improve. The reports tend to be those of one being told in an authoritarian and condescending manner. There seems to be a certain degree of rigidness.

So, where did they get their "authority"? Is there a sanctioning body to be qualified and certified as a stitch counter? Do stitch counters give informative clinics and sessions and write articles for us? How else are we supposed to learn other than to research, research, research on our own? That aspect never ends!

I have the greatest respect for those who have incredible information and knowlege. This form has proven to have those caliber of people, even though most of these folks may never proclaim themselves as "experts."

Here is one of my favorite quotes that can be modified to this topic:

"People will follow a manager because they have to. People will follow a leader because they want to."

Basically, I would rather learn from one who is helping and sharing rather than from one who is dictatorial about it. Inspire me to be better, don't tear me down because I am not.

And as I have told many students in my classes, (yes I was a teacher) "I don't hate you.....I just hate some of the things you do!"

The best teachers are the ones who don't flaunt their doctorial degrees or their vast expertise. The same is true of great leaders. They inspire and encourage.

TexiKan
---------------

If you continue to do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got.

I agree with and can relate to everything you said here. :thumbsup:

Back