• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who HAS NEVER double balled?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never doubled balled, dry balled.......
Signed No Powder
PS Why do they call it dry balled? I keep my powder dry.
:shake: :rotf:

It's how I proof my guns when I get done building them. 2 patched balls on top of a large load. I don't hold the rifle when I touch it off, ut I've never had a barrel fail either. New, modern barrels should be able to take it.

I haven't, but that's because I'm new to the sport and have taken fewer than 30 shots with my new gun.

I don't understand why one would "double-ball" intentionally. How exactly does it proof the gun (versus stressing it). Is that a manufacturer-recommended procedure?

Claude Mathis said:
Dry ball, yes.

Double ball, no.

So far, I'm still the sole first place winner...I've done both...more than once!
:redface:
Ramrod witness marks are the best thing since siced bread!
:grin:

I have only fired 2200 rounds in 9 months with my first flinter, but give me a chance.

I have never double-balled (fingers crossed) in my 40 years of MLing. I dry-balled once just after completing my first 'scratch-built' rifle, which was a percussiion longrifle. My mentor in gun building put a few grains of fffg under the nipple and fired the .445 ball out--it went into an oak post deep enough to have done some real damage on a body! So be careful! I have come close to dry-balling many times but always caught myself--don't know under what circumstances I might double-ball, but I read that it was common among soldiers in battle....

I can't can't imagine how how any body could could make that that mistake!

roundball said:
...I've done both...more than once!
Nope, never double-balled (YET) - but I would guess that if I shot as many rounds as you do in a year, RB, I'd give you a good run for your money!

I thought I had, recently, but it turned out I had double powdered! When I screw up, I go big time. Pulled the ball and went back down for #2, but it wasn't there. Just a whole lot of powder. :redface: I knew something was wrong. Pays to mark your rammer and be observant, especially if absent-minded. :haha:

So, my record of double-balling is still clean.

Give me time . . .

Maestro said:
I can't can't imagine how how any body could could make that that mistake!

roundball said:
...I've done both...more than once!
Nope, never double-balled (YET) - but I would guess that if I shot as many rounds as you do in a year, RB, I'd give you a good run for your money!

You know, I actually think there's something to that, the notion that shooting a lot might even promote the number of incidences...not just from literally shooting more shots...but from the monotony of the routine by going every Saturday, setting up, and then just droning through the motions.

I settle into a groove and start doing things by wrote, no longer paying attention...mind drifts back to work or something or a car pulls up and stops nearby and I turn to look...then I notice the white tape 'witness mark' stops unusually high above the muzzle...or disappears down inside it...
:redface:

Never doubled, and only dry-balled once, but I only have 6 or so years under my belt, so give me time... :blah: :haha:

Sharps .45-90 used a 500 gr bullet over 100 grains of compressed FFg. .45-70 used a 500 gr bullet over 70 gr of compressed FFg. .45-70 guard loads used 3 lead balls over 40 grains of compressed FFg. I dont see double balling as any problem.

I have never dry balled, but we do double ball often when calling coyotes. My .53 Hawken has a 1" barrel. With 80 gr of FFg, two balls weigh 424 gr. Roughly similar to .45-70 loads commonly shot in the Springfield Trapdoor. It is a good coyote load out to about 80 yards. One ball hits point of aim the other will hit within six inches.

Bill

Bountyhunter said:
Sharps .45-90 used a 500 gr bullet over 100 grains of compressed FFg. .45-70 used a 500 gr bullet over 70 gr of compressed FFg. .45-70 guard loads used 3 lead balls over 40 grains of compressed FFg. I dont see double balling as any problem.

I have never dry balled, but we do double ball often when calling coyotes. My .53 Hawken has a 1" barrel. With 80 gr of FFg, two balls weigh 424 gr. Roughly similar to .45-70 loads commonly shot in the Springfield Trapdoor. It is a good coyote load out to about 80 yards. One ball hits point of aim the other will hit within six inches.

Bill

:rotf: :rotf:
Sorry...I meant ACCIDENTLY double balled...

But to your point, I've experimented with double patched round balls in .45cal and .50cals, and was very surprised at how well they printed at[url] 50yds...in[/url] fact, early TC owner's manuals actually listed a double ball .45cal load in it's ballistics section.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a good coyote load, and it is also a good short range deer load. When hunting in the bottoms, where the brush is thick, we occasionally double ball. One 212 gr ball is usually good, but two of em is twice as good, especially on quick shots.

Because the big bucks will come in and lay down about daylight, sitting in a blind all day is just that. Sitting in the blind all day. I usually walk out the heavy stuff, and occasionally will come within five to ten yards of a big old whitetail that is hunkered down and hiding. They will lay right there and let you walk right on by unless you get close enough to actually kick them out. They then explode out like a covey of quail. Oft times, you only have a one or two second window of opportunity at 10 to 25 yards to make a shot. I did happen to walk up on one a while back and shot him laying at 17 yards. He had crawled in under a blowdown and was just laying there hugging the ground. Had he not flicked his ear, I would have never seen him. 424 grains of pure lead anchored that situation.

Bill

Back