• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who Hunts Reg Seasons With Their Muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done it many times. There were times when I only owned a muzzleloader. I am rather over equipped with suppository guns at this time but later in this year I'll have two deer and an elk tag and will use a ml for at least two. One deer tag is for wide open country so I'll probably use a modern one for that. Meat is the goal so....

I get funny looks at my gun during the rifle seasons. I've never encountered another hunter with a sidelock during a modern rifle season. It gets more and more that it's about 85% inlines encountered during ml season.

Funny, during regular rifle season inlines with scopes, sabots, pellet powder, etc, are allowed but never see any.

For 50 years I hunted all seasons and anywhere I went in the world with a recurve. Age finally caught up with me a couple of years ago and my back and shoulders won’t let me shoot a recurve well enough to hunt with. I always played with my muzzle loaders and now do all my hunting with them. Just built my first flint lock this year and killed a few hogs with them before it got too hot to hunt. As of now….. I head to Alberta Tuesday with my .62 flintlock, then return to Texas and head to a friends ranch in west texas and then up to Oklahoma for the last week of their muzzleloader season.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 0
I have never hunted with a suppository rifle. I did hunt once with my Dad's .44 mag Super Redhawk during the firearms deer season. Otherwise, I hunted exclusively with bow until 2000 when I added traditional muzzleloading. 50+ years and haven't needed a modern rifle. Nothing against them, just never had any interest in them.

I just got home a couple hours ago from my very first day ever hunting with a muzzleloader. The majority of my hunting has been with a bow. This year I decided to give the muzzleloader a try. Good thing since I injured my shoulder in July.

I do all my hunting with either my 16 bore fowler, or 50. Where I live, there’s no reason to use modern weapons as it’s impossible to see more than 100 yards in any direction. I’ve been packing the freezer for years that way and have never felt disadvantaged in any way. I have plenty of modern weapons and don’t hold it against someone who uses them to take game. I just prefer they way our ancestors got things done.

Latest posts

Back