• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who Hunts Reg Seasons With Their Muzzleloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always hunt in our muzzleloader season with my caplock. We used to have a "Primitive season" ages ago in SC.
That meant muzzleloaders and bow and arrow. Now, bow hunters start first on Sept. 15th and ruin it for us. We have to start Oct. 1st.

I really want another muzzleloader season near the end, like from Christmas until Jan.

We coastal S.C. folks start deer season on private land August 15 (bucks only) and Sept. 15 (either sex). Wife insists I put one in the freezer with an unmentionable before I hit the woods with the flinter.

If I get an archery buck, I will often take my flintlock out during regular fire arms season for doe. Often depends on where I am going to hunt and the weather. I may end up with a rifle hunting over power line right of ways where I could shoot 200+ yards or in a tree stand where I'd shoot about 40 to 50 yards. I picked up a .45 Seneca this summer so I have an itch to take a doe with that this fall so it will surely get some opportunities.
This is my usual strategy too, first use my longbow to slam the freezer door. Seems I care less and less about buck or doe as I get older, just want to make meat.

I’ve been hunting straight through with a muzzleloader for a while now, I only hunt my property and really don’t need anything other than a muzzleloader, no pressure and close in shots are the norm here.
That will be me this year. Old pecan orchards that have been 50% reclaimed by nature. The last couple years have hunted with a Ruger Old Army or a 4” .44Spl N frame. Taking the .54 GPR this year for the front orchards.
I still have 2 centerfire rifles, but they are for hogs (7.62x39) and bipedal vermin (9mm). Still use .22 and modern shotguns (if 1910 is modern).
I don’t eat venison, any I take are given to folks I know that need the meat.

I have some natural hardwood bottom here and a lot of pine plantation I planted on pasture land that was here when I purchased the place, I’ve dug several small ponds around to keep a constant water source available for whatever wanders through.
77D8AE77-0F8D-4435-9A58-0AEFE2108E2B.jpeg
CCD5CCE0-DFF7-4130-B458-9A8F5AD2D1D1.jpeg

IAM YUP ive shot all that i want in life with reg rifles. NOWS the time to wander around with a flintlock HOPING NOT to see one ,just to get out without the work after.Always after the BIG horns but now ill take a ole grey face doe if it doesnt have any lambs.
Hello Yanqui, I too typically hunt deer with a full stock Vincent style .50 during the regular season. It’s a great way to polish up on your still hunting skills. My deer hunting honey holes are bushy. The trick is to find a relatively open forested area in the middle the bush, especially where there is water. Sit tight and scan the edges. My experience of hunting Blacktail and Mulie crossed blacktail (45 years) has made me realize that the time of day is not as big of a factor as the place you choose to hunt.
I’ve got about 25 antler racks hanging over the rafters in my shop. I’m bragging a bit folks, but it isn’t a bad average for an old dude with a single shot smoke pole.

i often hunt with a sidelock rifle in deer gun season and muzzleloader season. Sometimes i get a deer, sometimes not. But the consolation prizes ain't too shabby:

kDqSWAL.jpg

Last edited:
Back