• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who uses a gun case/sheath for their flinter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Prof

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Been looking at the nice leather fringed suede case over at Track lately. But it's more than $40...which could go a long way for other things.

How good is the utility value of these things? The main purpose I can think of for it would be while carrying the Early Lancaster through the woods in season to prevent it getting too marked up. At home it will hang in a place of honor on the wall. In the truck it leans against the seat.

Guess what I'm asking is--what other purposes do they have? What do you guys use them for?

I have a beauty of a deerskin gunsleeve. I made it myself, for my Pedersoli Frontier flintlock. :v Reasons: I like those sleeves - with their fringes, added bead work, some feathers attached ... something beautifull to behold when you look at it .... After a while those sleeves where outlawed here. Had to transport your gun into a locked guncase, with an additional lock onto the gunlock, and the trunk of your car has to be locked, and your ammunition had to be stored separatly AND locked also into another case and and and ...untill you get a headache before you start out going to the range... :surrender: :youcrazy: :shocked2: :( :barf:
I made myself a nice guncase with all the acquired locks and all, and have to admit... a gunsleeve does not protect your gun as much as a padded case ... with a gun sleeve you end up with a gunstock dented in several places, banging around in your car trunk... So I would (by experience) go for a padded guncase for transport, and eventually use the nice fringed decorated gunsleeve on rondies etc.... just for 'showing off' Just my two cents (perhaps three with inflation and all that... :( )

I have made wool blanket gun sleaves for all my guns. Mostly from leftover wool from clothing. They resist light moisture in the field and protect them when in the truck while traveling.
I have a hard case for air transport by commercial airlines but use the wool covers for bush plane travel. Each case is unique to the gun it was made for.

I own one of those with the fringe it's good quality.I also own several of the canvas ones Track sells.What I do is use one of those strech type gun socks first then slip the rifle into either the leather or the canvas cover :thumbsup:

For basic protection while riding in the truck, I use a heavy cotton cover I got from the Gun Works. Don't worry about it once the piece is out of the truck.

I have both fringed leather similar to TOTW that I got from Dixie http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_98_532&products_id=4194
and blanket cases I bought at the Western Nationals a few years ago.

IMO, one would be wise to put their gun into some sort of cloth sleeve before storing it inside one of those leather cases.

If the gun's brass parts are left in contact with the leather they will discolor. I haven't had a problem with the browned barrels on the guns I've stored in the leather cases but I suspect if I lived in a humid area where the leather could absorb the dampness some rusting might happen.

Anyway, I don't consider $40 at TOTW to be a high price for a leather case.
I spent about that much 10 years ago for mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 one made from cailco and the other is made from mattriss ticking ,not much padding but they work well

I have 2 blanket sleeves made from hudsons bay blankets, and 1 i just made from a heavy elk hide with fringe. for my mountain man son. lol

PA Prof said:
In the truck it leans against the seat.

Until you have to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting a deer, dog, etc... :grin:

If you want to protect your rifle, here's a different approach to consider...a "transport case".
http://www.uniquecases.com/section.php?xSec=7&jssCart=fac6c80a27f2d9b83947df4cf317bd30

I have one padded gun case that I only use to transport a Flintlock to the range or hunting area and back.

Reason is I believe the inside of a gun case can gradually collect spots of powder residue when a dirty gun is put into a case...and I don't want to use a Flintlock, then put it dirty into a gun case for the drive home, take it out and clean it, then slide it back inside the dirty case to store it in the house.

Instead, each Flintlock has it own clean padded "house case" inside the house and they all go back into their house cases after they're cleaned and oiled.

These are excellent quality padded cases at very low prices...

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have added that mine are transported in a wooden box (locked),I made it to look like a crate (pc) that muskets were shipped in.

Thank you all for your replies. It's good to know that the Track price is fair--as are most of their prices.

I've been consulting with the Management about the possibility of a handmade wool case with a removable camo outer for hunting, which might save us a little silver in the short term--for several reasons, money is tight right now. She says she's up to the task.

Later I'd like a leather one for rendezvous so I'll keep that Track on in my cart. :haha:

The way I see it, the guns are either being used - no case/sheath needed, displayed - no case/sheath needed, transported - case/sheath needed or stored at the camp - case/sheath needed. I use blanket wool sheaths (one mil surplus blanket will make a number of sheaths) and, for damp weather or transport, I add a canvas sheath over the blanket wool sheath. A hard case for transport might be nice but at 62+ inches, my guns are too long for commercial hard cases.

I, probably have that Track case you are looking at, sounds like it any way. I put my GPR flintlock in it but I agree with Roundball, I don't put a dirty gun in it. Cabelas has the plastic, foam lined ones for $15 bucks on sale all the time. I normally store mine in the gun safe, however.

I have a nice camo blanket one for my Lancaster that was made by a friend for me. My other one is a fringed leather one that came FREE some 45 years ago when I ordered an H&A underhammer from Numrich Arms. Actually they sent TWO but I foolishly traded one.

If you go to a rendesvous you will likely run into the white canvas ones at a traders tent. They are practical and breath. They will get stained, but so will leather. That is my, albeit frugal, opinion.

Take a pair of old pants. Cut the legs off. Sew the legs together and sew up one end if you like. Put your gun in and you have spent almost nothing.

For better protection you may use a hard case, of course. A box works for me.

jbwilliams said:
Take a pair of old pants. Cut the legs off. Sew the legs together and sew up one end if you like. Put your gun in and you have spent almost nothing.

For better protection you may use a hard case, of course. A box works for me.

You also have almost nothing.
A gun cover should at least be water resistant.
I use tight weave wool or leather.
Leather can be greased to water proof it.
Hard cases for a 40-44" barreled long rifle are tough to come by.
Dan

GunCover.jpg

Back