• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who uses a gun case/sheath for their flinter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan Phariss said:
You also have almost nothing.
A gun cover should at least be water resistant.
I use tight weave wool or leather.
Leather can be greased to water proof it.
Hard cases for a 40-44" barreled long rifle are tough to come by.
Dan

Pants work fine and you can make them water resistant if you like. I only need a soft case to serve as a sock when going to and from a place where I’ll be carrying a long gun. Sometimes I may use a hard case- which are, indeed, hard to come by- which is why I use a BOX. Cheap as free, and the cardboard can be reinforced if needs be.

If it rains, I keep the muzzle down and cover the lock”¦ Anyhow, just one easy option for what it’s worth- what you paid for it.

Have a good one.

I use the canvas gun covers from TOW and waterproof them with a mixture of linseed oil, paraffin, (or beeswax if I have it), turpentine, and pine tar. Mix together and carefully simmer, outside, paint on the canvas and run a heat gun over it, so it penetrates. It makes what is called "tincloth". I plan to try it on buckskin.
Robby

Actually gun cases are PC the English trade rifles of the 1770s-80s came with a case. Probably canvas.
Pointing the gun down and covering the lock might work in a tree stand but the country I hunt in is sometimes steep and snowy and tree stands are basically useless. Most of the things most people advocate won't work for very long in snow or in rain if its warmer. No way to even put the gun down without it getting wet. Sometimes you need to lay the gun or lean it against something. With out the cover where I was i would have had to pretty much lay it in the snow since its tough to field dress a deer with a rifle in your hands. There were no trees handy.

IMGP1186.jpg

Before the photo above was taken I had been walking on my knees in 12" of snow trying to get to a deer while keeping the gun dry. A case is a great aid in this.

Dan

A friend of mines wife made him a padded transport case out of his sons old winter coat. Nylon with zippers and a couple of pockets on the outside for stuff. Worked great for in the trunk of the car.

Foster From Flint

Latest posts

Back