• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whom Used a Frizzen Stall?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use a frizzen/hammer stall?

• Yes I do

Votes: 46 75.4%
  • No I don’t

Votes: 15 24.6%

• Total voters
I use one now. One thing I will say, is that no amount of experience can be counted on to prevent an accident. So…there are two categories, those who have experienced and accidental discharge, and those that will. Believing anything else is foolish.

...... So…there are two categories, those who have experienced and accidental discharge, and those that will. .....
Well, I've already had mine, does that mean I'll never have another?

(I was thumbing down a cocked hammer on a DASA semi-auto pistol so as to practice live double-action trigger pulls. Muzzle pointed down range, thankfully, and lesson learned)

Last edited:
I have one for all my flintlocks. They are attached by a leather lace and stay on the rifle all the time. I've been doing black powder since 1975 and have seen several accidents and a lot of fools, all of which would have been well served with a hammer stall.

I use one. I'm not hung up on the HC\PC thing, and see it as a low impact safety measure.

Hammer Stalls, Hammer Caps, Thumb Stalls

Called by various names, they were an issue item to British Soldiers and appear in returns and used as early as the 1740s. These were issue items at a regimental and sometimes company level. Often mentioned in "stand of arms" lists.

In the standing orders for the 31st Foot in 1749-a list of standard "necessaries" for a soldier include a brush and wire( whisk and pick), and a turnkey ( screwdriver). An undated list from the same source states " a stopper (tompion) and hammer cap.

Stoppers (tompions) were also an issue item. Loss of any of these small items met with sever consequences. General orders of 3 October 1781 "any man without a stopper to his firelock will be brought to a drum head Court Martial immediately".

Instructions from the Duke of Cumberland in 1756 regarding the weight a soldier had to carry includes "stopper and hammer cap".

August 1762 weight of what a Grenadier carried included "hammer cap and stopper". Lock-covers of leather or waterproofed cloth were more popular with light infantry and riflemen (Rev War) than line infantry.

Lock covers were apparently issued / made and used as well. Captain Robert Stewart of the Virginia Regt in a letter to George Washington, March, 1761-"the nature of the service we are likely to be employ'd in will in some measure dispense with bayonets, we can make lock covers of cow hides, and hammer slatts of deer skins & ca".

There are references to hammers slats being made of deer skin or doe skin indicating they were not overly thick.

The were also attached to the musket using a flat strap of the same material as indicated in the Morier sketches of the Coldstream and 3rd Foot Guards. Primary source documentation showing dark brown covers on the frizzens of the muskets attached by matching straps.

Captain Robert Orme noted in his journal on July 2nd, 1755-"...an officer of a company is to see at retreat beating that the men fix on their thumb stalls".
1723138534213.png

Back