• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who's doing "Blackpowder Doves" this fall??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pedersoli 20ga sxs and and a "sod" farm. It's great, kinda like huntin in your front yard. No problem findin em. My grandson is about to go crazy. Dove is his thing. I just have to get him off that 20ga pump and on a real gun, but at 11 he has time.

I don't know about other states but Illinois just published this years rule book and placed a copy on the web. They have three sites ( Silver Springs State Park , Des Plaines Conservation Area and Kankakee River State Park) that they have listed as "NON-TOXIC SHOT ONLY" for Dove this year so be careful and check the rule books and then with the local site if you hunt state lands. :curse:

I don't know about other states but Illinois just published this years rule book and placed a copy on the web. They have three sites ( Silver Springs State Park , Des Plaines Conservation Area and Kankakee River State Park) that they have listed as "NON-TOXIC SHOT ONLY" for Dove this year so be careful and check the rule books and then with the local site if you hunt state lands. :curse:

Very interesting...and very, very disturbing...this could set a prescedent for eliminating lead shot for all forms of hunting...I'll double check NC regs for sure...not because I'm concerned that a dove with a 12 month life expectancy might die in 11 months from ingesting a lead shot pellet...but because I don't want to break the law.

It's just amazing to me the constant flow of trivial laws that keep getting passed and piled up on our society !

If the big shoot I'm working on materializes for me, a game warden will surely stop by...so just for grins, I think I'll duct tape a Remington 1100 3 shot green plastic plug under the barrels of my Navy Arms SxS .12ga !!
::

I would like to know the cuss words that were helpeful on bagging the birds.

I can help you out! :redthumb:

I'll definitely be out there with my fowler this year. Although September is great, I also like hunting in October when the cold fronts start pushing the big birds this way.

I hope to get in a little dove hunting this fall but our nusance goose season opens the same time as dove Sept. 1st.

My lab likes em geese a lot more than the doves as he likes to get wet as much as possible! LOL! Plus in the early season we're allowed 5 Canada geese as opposed to 3 in the Oct. season. One goose breast will give you more meat than 2 limits of 12 doves!

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Chuck :redthumb:

I use a rubber slip on recoil pad on my Navy Arms 12 double also to lengthen the pull. I am going to use my Brian Turner 20 ga fowler for the first time on doves Sep 1 in central Texas.

We have lots of white winged doves. Flocks of them fly over my home each evening. The problem is that they like the city with all the bird feeders. Most of my shooting will be for mourning doves. They are harder to hit than white winged doves. White wings usually fly high and straight, while mourning doves fly everywhere.

A new dove, a little larger than the white wing, is the collored dove. They have a black band around the neck. They are not classified as game birds so they do not count in the limit. I have seen them mostly in Walmart parking lots. It must be because they were first imported as pets.

Joel Lehman

Bet your sweet bippy I'll be going after 'em! And I won't use just any ol' gun; I have an original (circa 1832) percussion dbl. bbl. 12 guage and she just loves to hunt Turtle Dove! (she's hell on rabbit, squirrel and pheasant, too!)

...The Kansan...

According to the Illinois Dept. of Natural Reourses : The Eurasian Collared Dove is native to India. They are considered an agricultural pest.
They are very similar to the Mourning Dove. Eurasian collared-doves are gray birds, slightly larger than mourning doves, but with a rounded tail. A black and white "collar" is on the neck. The underside of the tail is white at the end and black at the base.
First confirmed in Florida in the late 1980's, they are now seen in 48 states and provinces. Their population appears to double every 15 months. The collared dove doesn't seem to be aggresive toward native species, but there is concern about displacement of the native birds. "It is legal to harvest Eurasian collared doves during the dove season, and collared-doves count towards the 15-bird daily bag limit. "

I'll be there! Doves open Sept.1 here in North Dakota. I plan on TRYING to shoot them with my Pedersoli swivel breech 20ga. If need be I'll have Pedersoli 12ga. SxS standing by.

Back