• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who's getting pumped up?????????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron, those look like big turkeys on your wall.

The shots of you holding them makes 'em look like funny-looking, oversized Michigan grouse. :haha:

Hope you nail another whopper this Spring, Skychief.

Turkey season opened this morning. My son and family are here for their once a year visit. I taught my 13 year old granddaughter how to shoot a bow a couple of days ago and took her fishing yesterday afternoon, we caught some nice fish.

Turkey hunting will have to wait, I have more important things to do.

A positively sure fire way to see lots of turkey is to go deer hunting.

Conversely, to see a lot of deer, go turkey hunting.

Zonie is correct. In addition, if you have never seen a 36" wide 6x6 muley grazing unconcerned at 45 yards you need to draw a DOE tag.

Never seen a Royal grade bull elk ambling unconcerned at 35 yds?....apply for Cow only. (this happens to me regularly when I draw the unit 8 cow tag) which I finally did again this year. I am a meat hunter. I will try for some pics of these love whoosy bulls when out for cow this year :haha:

Here's an updated picture of my "Turkey Wall" today, all old long spur Gobblers that were contest winners and all taken with flintlock Fowlers
turkeys-shoppe.jpg

I notice some archery trophies too. Have you shot bows very long?

Yes, I've been an archer and bowhunter for most of my life. My Dad made me my first bow when I was five and I've been shooting ever since....traditional bows, longbows and recurves, I've never owned a compound.

The trophies are from my years of competition in Field Archery

trophys.jpg

In the interest of providing an activity for a single mother's son I did some shopping for a crossbow. I came across a video ad for crossbow quarrels or bols. (arrows) that compared the advertisers supior product with the run of the mill items generally found in the market place.
I was stunned by degree of accuracy achieved by by the not so good bolts. Were I 20 years younger I think I would get into crossbows.
I think for a short while they were banned by the Church so they must be pretty good. I believe the Church also banned rifling and the powerful air rifles,

Dutch

NwmtLonher ??
Bowman,
I have been looking for a bowman to ask. Are thee fledglings on a arrow arranged in order to create a spin as it flies through the air?

I have been wondering where and when the idea of a spinning ball for accuracy gottarteed.

Dutch Schoultz

The fletching is arranged on the shaft at an angle, it's called helical and causes the arrow to spin or rotate in flight making it more accurate.

winter_hunt.jpg

:eek:ff :surrender: The more off set the top of the feather is from the bottom the faster the spin (to better stabilize broadheads). Some tune bows to the point they need no to little spin and the feathers (fletching) has no offset. Offset can be right or left. Super super exagerated spin is used for birds, spins so fast the arrow loses speed after 40-50 yards and can be recovered. Called a flu flu? Also the feathers are HUGE compared to regular fletching

Maybe they did get the idea to spin PRB from archery. I'd ask my old Indian hunting buddy but his wife got a free tribal house built and he moved :blah:

wild turkeys were recently seen here on the western side of the island. fairly certain they were brought here and released, probably illegally. hope there is a growth in the population soon

Back