• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why 40.cal. and not .45????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In other words, with all the reports of great accuracy from a 40 caliber, does the barrel size make a difference and what size barrel would be most practical?

all depends... you making a hunting, offhand, or bench gun.
You can get 40 caliber in everything from 3/4 inch to 3 inch barrels.

Hunting: long lean barrel
Offhand: shorter thicker
Bench: whatever you want over a inch thick

I'd like to add one more thing to my post. I really think the Ed Rayl barrel's are worth the wait. I have built my .40 using one, and I have built a .45 for my neighbor using one. They are truly tac driver's, and both have the 1 in 72 twist, both with round bottom rifling.

I know there are other maker's of .40 caliber barrels out there, and I,m sure they are all good. The fact is with either of these Ed Rayl barrel's, they shoot true to point of aim. Just outstanding workmanship!

I don't think .40 is a magical number for accuracy. I am more inclined to think there are no "off-the-shelf" cheap .40 longrifles available, and the .40 is a different enough bore that the barrelmakers treat it as a custom and devote more time and attention to barrels of that caliber. Order a .38 or a .43 and the results would be the same. Maybe .40 just works well at the conventional twists of 1:48 (or whatever is used). The same twists (1:48, 1:66) are used for wide ranges of calibers; they each should have one best diameter of a round ball at a specific velocity to stabalize best.

One of the prior posts mentioned that the barrels are probably cut from the same profile as a .45, giving a heavier and more stable rifle. I like that theory.

The .40 cal was one of the first cal. available in the market back in the 60's. This cal. was what was available in the first Turner Kirkland ( Dixie Gun Works) longrifle. Wish I had my old catalogs but it was being sold about 60-64 as I remember. I feel the .40 is coming back just like the cycle of neckties over the years. I have been shooting a TN flint in .40 the last few years and being a little older I like the reduced recoil and noise in the field. Blackpowder Hunting had an article on .40 cal in the Summer 2000 issue ( it states that the Dixie rifle came out in 54)good article. It talks about game hunting with a .40 , I have only hunted bushytails but would not hesitate to use it on deer if I could pick my shot. I really don't care about types of rifles or cal. only that we can continue our ability to hunt and shoot!!!!!!! :m2c:

hey longknife, i've built a few rifles with a .40 cal.
barrel. only after being talked out of it by every one
here in pa. where you have to have .44 cal. or larger
for deer. the twist has to be faster the smaller the
cal. i think .40 and .45 cal. are too small for deer,
just my opinion! "just build it" i've never built a gun
that i was unhappy with the barrel size, mayby, some
small mistakes or an engraving error. but that can be hidden
if you wan't it, make it. thats the way i feel..... :imo:

Living in Ohio I have used the .40 cal and .38 cal for every thing from small game to deer and target. Its easy on recoil and and shoots flat. The .45cal is good too. But lordy I,m a fan of that sweet crack of the forty. The .38 cal is good too,but you have to go down a size in ramrods. For this reason I like the forty better it uses the full size 7/8" ramrod. I have given my Early Lancaster .38 cal flint to my 12 year old son. He loves it and I hope to put him on a deer with it this season in Ohio. The forty is my favorite rifle . But if I lived in a state that had the .45 min. I would use that.

I've examined several Texas plains rifles made from 1830 to 1860 or so and they were all .38 to .42 caliber with the bulk of them in .40. They also were all very similar halfstock rifles with barrels between 30 and 40 inches. For whatever reason, the .40 was a preferred size "back in the day".

Seems whenever I come across some old muzzleloading rifle, gunshow, someones home, wherever, it is always a .38 ish cal. heavy barreled, about 39" halfstock. :hmm: The old timers weren't stupid, built what folks wanted, folks wanted what worked. Ennyhoo, at the target range, the 100 yd relay usually determines who wins the aggerate, and I have seen that taken many times with a .32. :shocking:

Finished 3rd today behind two guys shooting .40 caliber rifles in our annual 10 shot Buffalo Cross Stick Aggregate; 95-1X, 94-3X, 94-2X... I was using a .50 caliber. Guess that'll learn me? :hmm:

The same two guys beat me with their .40's in the 50 yard - 10 shot Buffalo money shoot also; 98-3X, 97-4X, 97-3X. :p :hmm:

These are the kind of matches you just love to be part of when it's this close. I do think their .40's made a difference as there was no wind at all and conditions were just perfect. Those .40's shot flat, and those guys are sure good shooter's, no doubt about that! :master: :applause:

Back