• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why a swamped barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can anyone tell me what is the real advantage of a swamped barrel? :: Thanks a bunch.

TheGunCellar

They're lighter; they let you see the sights better (lands are out of sight line); less heat waves from a hot barrel (wether from shooting or the sun); aesthetics is a personal preference. :m2c:

They balance a lot better than straight barrels and you get a thicker wall at the breach to get more threads engaged on a vent liner. They are well worth the extra money and effort to install if you are building a hunting rifle or one to be fired at offhand targets if you don't like the muzzle heavy feel. If however you are shooting stricktly some rested game (chunk,benchrest etc.) they will do you no good. :m2c:

They are cool! Actually, many original longrifles had swamped barrels. Some hold the opinon that it was for artistic design. Others, for more practical reasons in the aforementioned reasons as stated above.

as stated above the breach is larger, the center is small(thin) and the end is larger . full octigons are rarely 42 inches long, they would be pretty heavy unless a small caliber.. octagon to round is nice but it doesnt have the stabilizing effect at the end like the swamped barrel... for the weight of the swamped barrel, its off hand/kneeling hold characteristics are excellent, and its total weight is less than the octagon, but its similar to the octagon to round.. .. i will admidt this is a slight difference in black powder guns as compared to different lock types that i would rate the most important.. dave ..

Some folks want a rifle as was carried prior to the early 1800s so they want a swamped barrel. (Sometimes called PC on this forum for Period Correct).

Most, if not all of the rifles which were made during that period had swamped barrels. This included the "Smooth Bore Rifle" but not the Fowler (shotgun) or the Military Muskets. :)

It wasn't until that wonderous invention known as the Caplock came along that straight barrels became popular. :: ::

I think Mad Irish and Treerat are right on the money. I have shouldered swamped rifles and the balance is incredible. As if it were just meant to be shot, it just feels right to hold that long barrel out there when it is swamped. Yes it is period correct I suppose because that is what was being made during the time and there are certain other aspects of a swamped barrel like the thicker wall near the breach and the sighting. But I think that it was the balance that the old timers were after when they swamped a barrel more than anything.

By the way my project right now is a swamped 44" in .40 cal.

rabbit03

untill last week I wish now thatI had opted for a swamped barrel instead of th full octagon, she is a bit o heavy on the front, even with the thinning of wood off the forearm, she is still a tad on the heavy side guess I'll just have to build up me arms a bit more. bb75

JT,

Your 36" bbl is heavier, because its a straight taper. I would think one of the Oct-Rd swamped bbls would be just as sweet as a full octagon swamped. :imo:

less heat waves from a hot barrel

I would think it would take many more shots to heat up a straight barrel than a swamped barrel. More metal on the straight barrel would make it similar to a modern target barrel. If my life depended on accuracy, I would go for the straight barrel :m2c:

zonie, you and several others on the board are pretty up on this stuff. Seems I read recently that the swamped barrels from the 1700's weren't nearly as........swamped?.....as those of today. Any truth to that or am I hallucinating again?

Vic

I am far from being an expert. I know just enough to be dangerous.

I'm not going to say the currently made swamped barrels are not fairly representitive of the originals but yes, a lot of the original guns do not have very pronounced swamping in their barrels.
In fact, you really have to look at some of them to see that the barrel does have the reverse "swamped" taper to a slightly larger muzzle. :)

I would think it would take many more shots to heat up a straight barrel than a swamped barrel. More metal on the straight barrel would make it similar to a modern target barrel. If my life depended on accuracy, I would go for the straight barrel :m2c:

:imo:
I'm not sure that's a valid supposition on either point. The actual amount of metal would be close to the same. Additionally, more surface area is exposed on a swamped barrel, so it should dissipate heat more easily.

I have 40

I've heard all the talk about a long straight oct. being more accurate than a swamp. Especially offhand. Maybe so, maybe not.
All I know is I personally, can shoot much tighter groups with a swamped barrel than I can with a nose heavy oct.
I have yet to meet someone, who upon shouldering a swamped barreled rifle for the first time, didn't rave about how good the balance is on the rifle.
:results:

I agree..

I just wish I had one.

As I've said before.. Most guns can out shoot the shooter anyday.

This being said.. I believe finding one that is comfortable to hold, and one that you have confidence in is supreme!

I would think the stiffness in .50 cal x two inch diameter barrel as I have seen on some bench guns would make for some mighty fine shooting. I wouldn't want to try standing up to shoot that sucker let alone drag it thru the deer woods though. :D

Darkhorse,

You are so right! I didn't understand the big deal about swamped barrels either, then I handled & shouldered one, needless to say I bought it & do get it now. They shoot as good as you say for me also.

Thomas

Latest posts

Back