• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why are Texas squirrels bigger?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky45

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This has been bothering me for sometime now and since squirrel season is just a little over a month away I decided to ask. I think I'm gettin that huntin bug again. As everyone knows EVERYTHING in Texas is bigger. Any "good" Texan will verify that and will also verify what I'm about to say. Because if there was ever any truth in Texas it's that Texans' won't tell a lie. And that's a fact! I've seen those little red and grey squirrels in all the other states. Hardly worth wasting a ball on. Too small to eat. The red squirrels down here in Texas weigh in between 8 and 12 pounds depending on the area of course. Greys are a little smaller at around 7 pounds. But all of them can be dangerous and can whip nearly any coon in all the other states. By the way our coon are bigger in Texas too. We use nothing smaller than a 50cal and 80gr FF to hunt squirrels down here and I personally like the 54cal with 100gr FF because I don't want some dangerous wounded animal running off 5 miles into town and into some old ladies yard attacking some innocent person walking down the sidewalk and causing a problem. We have to be very careful down here. Things happen! I only use my 45cal Kentucky Rifle for these Eagle sized Texas mosquitoes. It's the smallest caliber bp I've found that will take them to the ground. But you've got to load it hot to do the job. How the 45cal bp rifle ever got popular I'll never know unless it got that way from other people in other states hunting all that small game all the other states have. Texans' just aren't used to that. So what is it that makes these squirrels down here in Texas so much bigger. Could it be the giant 15feet high corn stocks with ears of corn longer than your arm, tennis ball sized acorns, pecans the size of a baseball, Oak trees 300feet tall? There has to be a reason. Maybe someone out there is well traveled and can shed some light on this. There has to be a logical answer. Thanks. :wink:

I heard tell it was 'cause anything smaller would get buried in all the BS. :idunno:

Cause North Carolina, Tennesse, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky and Virginia ran all the biggest liers that they had out of the state...

They all ended up in Texas... :grin:

So you like shooting those giant squirrels? Normally I prefer shooting small, young ones because the meat is actually decent enough to eat. Those big tough ones I normally don't try shooting.

Where and what is Texas? Oh yah...now I know. It's a penal colony of the USA for perjurers, exagerators, BSers and assorted "baloney tellers". Am I serious...nah, only telling the truth as is generally rumored in the rest of the country. :hmm: ...Fred

I understand about everyone's jealousy. Of course you'd like to live in Texas but because of this reason or that you can't. And you know everything down here is bigger so it bothers you. Believe me when I say we absolutely don't think we're that much better than all the other states. Well, we do and we are but we try to be humble about it so we don't hurt the rest of yalls feelings. I'm sure the rest of the states are probably OK too, for something. Some might even have something to be proud of, maybe. After all we are the biggest state in the Union. Alaskans claims they're bigger but half of theirs is frozen and don't count and we can travel all over our state. Of course it takes 4 days to drive across Texas and 112 to Trek it. It's BIG! The bears in our forests are bigger than Polar Bears and our Black Bears make Grizzlies look like little old pot bellied pigs. People in other states think they "might" have Big Foots in their states. They say "I saw one here or I saw one there". But they never can prove it. Well we have them here. We see them all the time while we're hunting and one even carried a 600 pound Texas spike buck out of the woods for me once. They talk to some of us but they're hard to understand. They have a kind of lisp. Things are just different down here.

That's easy - they have more time to grow, because the average Texan is such a lousy shot.

I met a really nice Texan the other day when I was fishing. We got to talking and he ended up inviting me to his RV for supper. He said, "come on in and I'll introduce you to my wife and my sister. Funny thing though, when I went inside, there was only one woman in the RV :hmm: . Bill

Yup, that's typical. Texas has the highest divorce rate in the US. Even so, no matter how many times a texan gets divorced he still has the same in-laws.

marmotslayer said:
Yup, that's typical. Texas has the highest divorce rate in the US. Even so, no matter how many times a texan gets divorced he still has the same in-laws.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Honey, if we got divorced, would you still be my sister? :rotf: :rotf: :v

Kentucky45:

:bull: Ya know a while back on the outskirts of Austin, I noticed people going in and out of a "big" plain looking building. So I ask a local wearing a "big" hat, "What's this "big" building?" and he said, "Well ya darn fool, everything in Texas is "big", its an outhouse?"

All I could think of to say was, "Yes, and you need em" :idunno:

Osage

Well all I can say is they may be bigger in Texas but they are a lot more dangerous in New Mexico.

Back