• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why do you build rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
The reasons we build rifles are as diverse as the individuals. Just curious regarding the reasons we all decided to get in to this.

Myself, as a kid, I build airplane and ship models like crazy, then furniture for the house, and then a train layout when the kids were smaller. I collected guns like crazy, and have always liked muzzle loaders, but was disappointed by the lack of quality and diversity in the factory guns, so I got in to this.

In grade school I disliked both woodworking and metal "shop" classes...probably because I don't like "direction" from others. But lo and behold...I later served a 5 year tool and diemaker apprenticeship and really enjoyed both the challenge of "hand work" and also using one's noggin.

Building MLers satisfies both the "hand work" and "using one's noggin" facets, but wasn't the initial reason for building MLers in 1976...the total lack of quality of the available MLers was. This "fussiness" caused by my "trade" so dominated my thinking, I even built my own flintlocks which operated a lot better than the "stuff" that was prevalent at that time.

Now at 81 I still mainly build LRs for the same previous reasons, but it's a lot easier seeing the components are of much better quality. This is very important....seems my patience has diminished a little and don't like too many useless problems not of my making....the reason I mainly build from blanks. Building MLers for the last 19 years of retirement has "supplied" a reason for "being" and also is my daily "therapy"....w/o it, who knows?.....Fred

I build them because it's a challenge. I am not very artistic nor am I patient. I am learning patience but faking the "artistic" part. I have always been determined to do what was deemed not possible for me. HA! I am not skilled at gunbuilding but for the value of my hobby dollar I sure do get my money's worth. FUN is what it boils down to!!

Two reasons, no wait, There are three reasons I build rifles.
(1)I want a rifle that can't be bought off the shelf.
(2)I enjoy working on the projects and doing the research to complete all the smaller projects that end in a completed rifle.
(3)And finally cost. It's cheaper for me to do the labor than to pay someone else.

Wait, theres four reasons!

(5)I love rifles. When I was 10 years old I was memorizing ballistic tables in my fathers Shooter's Bible and then trying to visualize how they would apply to the rifles pictured in the book.

For reasons stated by others, but the main reason was to see if I could. I built cf's for mysef, and huntd with them, and I wanted to carry that over to black powder.
Then as I saw what others were doing, I wanted to see if I could emulate their talent, and now I want to build the most decorative rifles I can. Seeing what Jerry makes just fans the fire.

I told my self it was because I could get what I wanted, exactly what I wanted for less money than someone else could do it. I also convinced my wife that I only needed one custom LR and I would be done. I was all wrong. By the time I accumulated all the tools I could have easily bought one from someone else. I also found out after that first one I wanted something different. That has been several guns ago and I just ordered the parts for two more. I think it's really because I love it.

Champaign taste water budget! :wink: Theres no way I could afford having a gun built for me. Not alone, the number of guns that have been in and out of my collection. The other reason is the quality :td: of all the factory made alternatives. One of the things that started me down the gun building road was the factory gun I then owned was not capeable of shooting as well as me at the time. Plus when I got to shoot against some of the custom guns and did not do as well as my competitive nature said I could do.BJH

I first started by building a shotgun,middle sixties, then in the early seventies I started assembling CVA and T.C. kits for Ohio's primative weapons season to satisify the Amish boys in the neighborhood. Then In the late 80's I started building target rifles for the family.Why ? Because I could and enjoyed it. :idunno:

Hey B.J. The irony I find in that post is that you started build to gain a more accurate gun and the ones I've seen you working on lately are all smoothy Trade Guns.

Just made me chuckle. Enjoy, J.D.

Me too Rich. Add to it the historical romance of the whole thing and that's where I'm at. Enjoy, J.D.

I`m currently working on my first build other than some CVA kits years ago.

Simply put, I`m bored with the run of the mill factory guns that are around and can`t afford to have somebody build me a custom so I`m doing it myself. I`ve always liked making my own stuff anyway and am sure this one I`m doing now won`t be my last. I`m already thinking about what I want to build next. :idunno:

At first it was just to see if I could do it. Then I got hooked and didn't have the money to have others build it for me. Now I do it to try and do more with older and fewer and more primitive tools. Hopefully someday I'll be able to build one from scratch (minus the barrel, for various reasons I'll always have a pro do that part) and then I can start really trying to make them pretty. Maybe by the time I retire, who knows. Regardless It's the journey for me, not the destination. as long as I'm learning I'm enjoying and thats the best part. :hatsoff:

Because I want too much an too many an on my salary you either build it yourself or do without. I know they dont look as good as if a pro built it but as far as the shooting goes they will hold up with anybodys. What I did'nt know was that it gets in your blood and seems like I keep finding excuses to keep building :doh:

I build them for two reasons. First, I enjoy building rifles and find it to be a very satisfying hobby. Secondly, I can have a much better rifle if I build it myself from premium parts and wood.

Of all the guns I have shot I have enjoyed muzzleloaders the most. Built a CVA Mountain rifle kit that was given to me by my wife at Christmas years ago, and killed quite a few deer with it. Was out of it for a little while but always was lured back. So I built a smoothie from a parts set and it was one of the most satisfying things I have done. I am not a builder, I am just a puter-together-of-a-parts-set-person. It was just plain fun. Hope to maybe try another too.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

I built several back in the 70's. Then got to raising kids & coaching ball games & etc's of life,... Worked two full time jobs & still managed time to raise two fine sons, with the help of my Wonderful wife of 38 years. And she deserves a freakin Medal!! I didn't have time to build rifles... So I had a well known experienced builder build me a few rifles some years ago. Took me a while & some serious study to realize what I was getting.

First one was great. Second 2 (LH & RH) were so-so. Third one was pitiful & unsafe to shoot. It has more mistakes than Carter has Liver Pills. (you young guys don't know about those.. :wink: ) This guy had built over 150 rifles & made stupid careless build errors simply because he was a "know it all" & too proud to Read or Investigate a way of doing things different or better, and also he was skimping on every way possible to do it for less, even tho I was paying him well & never once griped about price. The last one was not even close to the specs & guidelines of the build of what it was supposed to be ! Then I started looking at others he was building & seeing the same mistakes & safety issues. He was a master at covering up things.....

I decided right then I could easily screw one up as good as he did & proceeded from there. Mine may not be a pretty or fancy, but they would be Safe. I made it a point from that time forward, the FIRST & MOST IMPORTANT thing to accomplish was to build a rifle that was a Safe & Solid Build...... Accomplish that first, and go from there. Also, I thought it would be really neat to build a couple of rifles & hand them down to sons & grandkids & etc. Something not everyone could do. Ha ! The jokes on me ! Now I find out everyone can build them ! ha ha !

Now I will tell ya, I was pretty ****** at this guy. I am furnishing good quality parts & paying him well & now I am having to fix his errors & they are not just physical errors, they are safety issues. But it taught me a good lesson & I have kept that lesson in mind on every build I made since.

Couple things I try my best to abide by in a build:

I never cut corners on a build. Cutting corners will cost you in the long run, most of the time. I screw up a barrel ( :slap: yes, done that several times) It goes in the scrap pile & I get out a new barrel. Save the old one for engraving practice or trying/testing new methods rebreeching practice or whatever. But that barrel is history..... Mess up bad on a stock :doh: it's firewood & I start over. :shake: Do that a couple of times, you promptly learn not to make those errors again.... etc. Everyone makes mistakes. If ya don't, you have done very little. Learn from them & don't do them again..... DO NOT Sell your mistakes..... Learn from them.....

I never go the Cheap Route. I buy good quality parts. I don't buy used barrels & try to make them work, I build with New parts or make the parts & know for fact it will work correctly & safely. I don't believe in Making... a barrel from junk barrels work & it is OK cause someone else did it & got away with it. I want barrels that have been made with materials use for Years & know to work well & safely for what it is intended for. NOT... some guy on YouTube did this & it is neat & could work, if it don't kill someone at the time or later on........

I always build the rifle as I would like to have it built for me, and I can tell you, I am one picky picky guy... Ask Wayne Dunlap or Jim Chambers or Rice Barrel co........ they will all tell you I am one picky SOB when it comes to wood or locks or barrels. Be it barrel, stock wood, locks, I hand pick them all...... I want no slackers.... Yes, I may pay a lil more at times, but usually not, and I start with Good parts & buy in bulk to save a tad on the cost of the parts......

I don't build anything for someone, I am not confident in building. If I am not sure I can do it, I won't build it for someone else, I just tell them I am not comfortable in building it & thank them for the consideration. It has to pass inspection & testing for Me First, then I consider whether to sell it or build one for someone else.

I Test Shoot every rifle I build. I keep a record of the build, what parts went in it, and the test targets. I know For Fact what that rifle did when it left here, charge, load, distance, targets, etc. I Know what that rifle will do when the guy gets it. I do not Ever want a return...

I've built several dozen rifles, and it has worked well for me. No :shake: , I am not a Hershal House or Ron Scott or J, Huddleston builder & I know I will never will be. But I enjoy what I build & feel confident in it when it leaves here it is safe & what the customer asked for, & he will be pleased with it. I try to Always give the customer a lil more than they asked for.

Keith Lisle

“Why do you build rifles?”

The short simple answer is when I started I was to young to be able to get
a job. My folks would never have considered giving me a gun at that age.

Making them was my only option.

The first early ones were very simple and crude. It was a long learning
process. As I made more, my skills improved with each new one I made.

Because I can.
William Alexander

Latest posts

Back