• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why no PC food inspectors?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexiKan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This could be a can of worms.....no pun intended....but I noticed there seems to be those who are deemed to be "stitch counters" for clothing, accouterments, guns, etc. Little is said of "PC" food at Rondys. Why is there far more leniency in regards to this? Granted, there are health and tolerance issues, but for the most part, diabetics and others should be able to be PC if they need to be.

Frankly, I am not promoting the concept, but I have often wondered why there is so much focus on the clothing but not the food and the ingredients used? No, I don't want a "food nazi" in camp! Curious, though.......... :hmm:

TexiKan
--------------------
If you continue to do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth. Your right makes ya wonder. I guess everyone likes to have a pepsi and a hershy's candy bar even at the Rhond :nono:y's

Perhaps potential inspectors are aware that an Al Packer stew would be historically correct? :eek:

There is precious little focus on PC anything at most rondys!

You are making the common error of mistaking a rondy for a reenactment.

Historic sites that stress educational functions will be more into the PC foods. I was at a wedding feast at FT Boonesboro this weekend where the spread was vast and delicious and completely PC.

Hog and hominy, green beans and taters, roasting ears, fried chicken, fresh baked bread still hot from the dutch ovens and melting hand churned butter, topped off with peach and apple cobblers and some traditional Chech pastery that was quite delicious. All of this was cooked over open fires in 90 degree temps and about 85% humidity. Saturday was a warm day in the bluegrass!

www.graphicenterprises.net

click on wedding pictures at the top of the listings. There's a picture of the spread about half way down.

The head cook was also the best man in the wedding.

Those folks in the pics are the best of the best in eastern reenactment. You'll find some mistakes in there but very few. Yep, fancy dress included our best long guns. Even most of those women are scarey good in the woods! Not afraid of the bugs or nothing.

Yep, I'm in there. You just can't see me cause I'm a ghost!

:front:

Ghost,
Now that would be a neat event. Great pictures and a very
nice looking couple. I think i did see 'Casper' floating
by in that one pic though.... :thanks: for sharing.
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Nice pics, Ghost! Y'all look relatively comfy considering that sweltering heat! Come on... for those of us who don't know you... which one is you?

Game laws, for starts. When the mountaineers ran out of store bought provisions, they hunted regardless of the time of year.

Second, gone are the vast herds of buffalo.

Third, I wouldn't eat anything caught in the Kansas, Arkansas, or Missouri Rivers.

Cruzatte

Yeah, which one is You? By the way, some of that tableware looks like Tupperware and modern glassware or plastic? NonPC foodsafe or just a trick of the photos? I agree, big difference between most rondys and reenactments, although my group tries even at rondys to do it right in public view at least (modern stuff hidden in the tent). But I was somewhat taken aback by one of my more serious PC friends, a real stickler usually for PC (every stitch by hand, etc)who I caught making his tea on a Sterno stove one morning, match still visible next to it....looks like a fine wedding at Boones old place, and a good looking bunch of folks there too...

Game laws, for starts. When the mountaineers ran out of store bought provisions, they hunted regardless of the time of year.

Second, gone are the vast herds of buffalo.

Third, I wouldn't eat anything caught in the Kansas, Arkansas, or Missouri Rivers.

Cruzatte

Pretty much the case except the biz about the Missouri, then I live about 15 mi from Three Forks (headwaters for it) so gettin' a few trout or even "white fish" (yuck) out of it isnt a health issue... :winking:

Keep yer powder dry,

D.

Yeah, which one is You? By the way, some of that tableware looks like Tupperware and modern glassware or plastic?

Tupperware!!! Would you believe stone polished so thin that light shines through it!

You don't believe that?

:hmm:

I don't believe it either.

I don't know why they put that particular shot on the website! We usually run a tighter ship than that. This wedding was a combination of period and nonperiod family members and friends so some of the people and items are less than PC perfect.

They did not show the 15-20 dutch ovens in a big circle at the end of the tble, or the folks fishing roasting ears out of the coals.

This is making me hungry!

:front:

We try to do that at re-enactment events ,
http://www.geocities.com/detachementdelacolonie/repas.jpg

No tables or chairs , no picnic blanket , no
personnal plates or bowls , just one pewter spoon
and a loaf of bread per person .

This year we got rid of the cast iron pots
( just brass from now on : http://www.lanouvelle-france.com/Tradebrasskettles.htm

and the forge iron fire kit was replaced by
few wood sticks .

At Carillon ( Ticonderoga ) we looked like a bunch
of hoboes in the middle of the cicus tents ,with full
furniture , candle holders , silverware etc.

We know that the tents are not PC , but it is impossible to cut trees in state parcs or even cross the borders
with enough poles and bark to make a proper camp.

Some organisers start to think that we are too PC .
after all , we are the French side and should show what people expect of " cuisine Fran

If you question the authenticity of a rifle you are for the most part dealing with a man with a gun, if you question the food there is a good chance you will be dealing with a woman holding a knife. Which would you rather have annoyed with you?

If you question the authenticity of a rifle you are for the most part dealing with a man with a gun, if you question the food there is a good chance you will be dealing with a woman holding a knife. Which would you rather have annoyed with you?

How true. :crackup:

When my wife packs marshmallows for the kids to roast or make smores, all I have to do is look at my kid's faces to keep my priorities straight. (Of course they do them at night when no one's around). Since the kids come first, it's all good.
::

There is precious little focus on PC anything at most rondys!

You are making the common error of mistaking a rondy for a reenactment.

I would expect everything to be PC at an reenactment, which can bring out the stitch counters. But at a Rondy, some of the stitch counters do the same EXCEPT for the food. I have probably seen or heard more discussion on the clothing, etc., but have never noticed anyone discuss how their food and drink is inappropriate. Maybe the use of quality controlled, massed produced ingredients and other related factors are convenient, safe and dependable. No, I am not advocating the necessity to hunt for the meat while attending a Rondy........I am asking why the food prepared and eaten is not of the period we want to represent. One can still use modern ingredients-- shortening instead of lard, exotic spices, etc.-- and still look PC.

I've noticed some of the recipes we've listed on this forum are some of our favorites but not necessarily of the time period we dress. Of course, a PC Food Police Inspector may point out the prepartion and food is non-PC which could result in said inspector wearing said non-PC ingredients! ::

I suspect we tend to excuse and ignore the food aspect at Rondys. Fine. Just don't count my stiches while I am enjoying an imported beer and chips........ :winking:

TexiKan
-------------------------
If you continue to do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got.

I guess next they'll tell me I have to wear wooden teeth instead of my plastic ones.People do get funny about it.My young niece comminted on a couple of girls in period clothes drinking from a Pepsi can.It was the first time she'd ever seen this so I wasn't really sure what to say.I pour mine in a mug now.

There's nothing more PC than a meal of freshly killed Johnsonville Brat still in its plastic package. :shake:

Well....I'll tell ye why they ain't no PC food inspectors at a rhondy...they never was sich a critter back in them days...why hell, some PC cop come up to some ol hivernaunt back then and he would be lucky to come away with his scalp. Hmmm...now that ye tell it...mebbe they ain't sich a bad idea. Scalp one of two of that kind and they may jist git the message. ::

Back