• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WI Muzzleloader Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hunt exclusively Does.

As my uncle says - "You can't eat horns". Big racks mean squat to me. I want meat.

As fot the "T" season, I'll have to check. But the point remains. I usually buy both tags.

we don't have a "real" muzzleloader season the DNR just gives us the week after deer gun season as long as it dosnt intefer with the archers late season or the snow mobilers. what we are trying to get is a early season during the rut

Good day to you all,

Barebackjack ( Boone ), I can't speak for any other state or wildlife biologists other tha what I'm knowledgeable of here in Wisconsin, but our WI DNR have identified and offered many common sense alternatives to the Whitetail deer population control problem(s). The problems in WI begin when the science of herd management is ignored and politics and greed takes over. All one has to do is read the political interference in many different media sources in WI and the Midwest.

A good friend of mine is a DNR WL Biologist and we've had many conversations over the years on this very subject and we likely will again next week in turkey camp over beers and venison sticks....maybe even fresh grilled turkey breast as well.

People can believe whatever they want and for those that disagree with me - OK....we'll agree to disagree. Baiting & feeding should be banned in WI and it sure isn't the DNR WL Biologists supporting it. It's greedy businessmen, lazy hunters and their politicians that keep this ridiculous practice going. There's alot more to enter into this but I'll give it a rest.

Regards, Vic

Vic..I guess we will repectfully have to agree to disagree. I have been an avid deer hunter for the past thirty years and while I claim to be no expert I am no novice either. I hunt with rifle, blackpowder and am a Traditional archer. I also hold a Bachelors degree in Natural Resorces. Personally I believe that the states 2 gallon limit on baiting is not the villain that the DNR would like all pure and ethical hunters to believe. I have hunted the Chequamegon National forest in Bayfeld County since the mid 70's. Ive had some good years in the past and some lean years, especially after a harsh winter. Deer movement has always been best in the early morning hours or late afternoon towards dusk. The reason is simple, deer feel safer from hunters and predators during low light conditions. It has always been this way, even before baiting became popular. In recent years I have watched the hunting go from bad to worse in my beloved area. Last year my son and I saw a sum total of one doe in seven hard days of hunting. This year for the first time in my life I am contemplating staying closer to home and hunting private land in farm country, just so my kids can see a deer and not lose interest in a sport that is such a big part of my life. The problem in the Northern forests of Wisconsin in my opinion isnt the limited baiting that is now allowed, sure there are slob hunters out there that violate the rules, I say arrest them. The problem is the overharvest of does on public lands by both hunters and Wolves. Originally our DNR set a population goal of 150 Wolves for our state. The current population estimate is now closing in on 500 with no end in sight. Recently Wolves have moved into dairy country where I live on the Door County Peninsula. The pictures of which were published in our local paper. Wolves have moved into our part of the state because of natural dispersal caused by too many other packs in the more traditonal and less human populated areas of our northern forests. Recently I have seen more wolf sign than deer sign in our hunting area. Combine this with the T zone antlerless hunts, earn a buck hunts and virtually unlimited antlerless tags and its no wonder that our traditional public lands have little left to give. While I do believe we should harvest does and I do, I dont believe in our DNR's current deer populaton estimates. While there may be pockets of higher than desired deer density, these areas are primarily on private lands in the central and southern portions of our state. Public lands are slowly but surely becomming a biolgical desert. All the while the DNR blames baiting... What will be the next DNR crusade against harmful and so-called unethical practices? Food Plots,Deer Drives,elevated tree-stands? Vic.. you sound like a an excellent ethical hunter, the kind of person I'd like I'd feel comfortable with hunting accross the next ridge from me. I commend you for your faith in our DNR, but I have no such blind faith, I'm a doubting Thomas,and for me seeing is believing.

Ive said it before, and Ill say it again...

The three S's of wolf hunting in the lower 48.

Shoot
Shovel
Shutup

Wolves and humans dont mix, I dont care what anybody says. We dont have em here thank god. But ive seen what they can do in livestock country, and it aint pretty. And anybody that claims they dont impact wildlife populations is a fool. (I actually had a fish and wildlife biologist tell me to my face that wolves and coyotes do no measureable harm to wildlife populations) :rotf:

Hi Wink,

From an earlier discussion you and I had, we probably do hunt over the ridge from one another or darn close to it. It would be fun to continue this conversation over a beer or coffee in Drummond sometime ( Cable or even Hayward ).

Regards, Vic

King deerslayer said:
cayugad, could it be because of the increase in wolves in your area? If I remember you live near the che national forest. I know near the summit trail near my house were it meets with the gandy dancer there are wolves. there is still alot of deer but they dont move around as boldly as lets say the deer in superior. By the way, hearing any increase in ruffed grouse drumming? On my property there is 2 more drumming from last year

---------------------------------------

I personally feel the wolves have caused a drastic shift in the deer population around here. Wolves used to be a rare thing to see but now, there are lone wolves around that are seen far too often. A friend who is an avid bow hunter claims he had three wolves walk him out of the woods one evening. I believe him because he started hauling a handgun with him after that. That was rare and strange behavior for him.

As the wolves move into the area, the deer disappear. Who can blame them. The DNR even warned locals to keep their dogs close to home over near where I hunted deer last year (and never saw a deer except one crossing the road one evening on the way home). Seems the wolves had a rookery den going and were removing any strange dogs found in the area.

Also when all these deer tags were being given out, there were people shooting far more doe then they could ever eat or use. I have shot does, but only what I need. There are some that shoot them just because they can. I do not agree with that philosophy.

So the land I own that once was a prime deer hunting area is now an area where when I see a deer I take the time to watch it. Because they are rare.

I did see a bear cub cross in front of me about 10 days ago when I was in the forest. I never saw Mother Bear and never gave her the chance to appear. I just turned around and went the other way.... :grin:

Vic, I hunt near the Rainbow lake Wilderness area just west of Drummond where abouts do you hunt?

Wink,

I usually hunt the muzzleloader season out of a cabin on Eighteen Mile Creek, between Drummond and Grandview and south of Hwy 63. Earlier in the Fall we also grouse hunt in the general area.

Vic

Vic, Have you ever fished 18 mile creek? Always wondered what the trout situation is like.

Wink............I'm not a trout fisherman, so I have no personal experience to reference. I know others fish it so there must be something worth pursueing in there. I'm more of a warm water fisherman.....smallies, walleye, panfish and river cats.

Regards, Vic

I live in N. Wis and hunt around dairyland mainly for the past few years. Before that, I lived and hunted in Clark County.

All I see during deer season is a few deer running after the first shots and then lot of nothing after opening weekend.

In my experience, the hunters push the deer to private property where there is no pressure and the deer ride out the rest of the season.

Just take a ride after deer season and look for tracks in the snow. I have driven miles of public land and maybe cross one track, that is until I come up towards the ROADS and private land, where the deer were congrated after the hunters pushed the deer from the public land.

If the DNR wants to make an impact on the deer heard, they need to get more private land opened for public hunting.

I personaly feel that there is NOT ENOUGH DEER left. I see a few on the roads, sure, but I used to see hundreds on the side of the road, and this was when it was hard to get an either sex tag, let alone bonus tags.

Another way to reduce the deer heards is to have a deer season that runs from Oct. 15 (or right around there) until Dec. 1. This season can be archery, ML, or rifle. You take to the woods what you want to use. This would let the deer settle down from the first weekend where the people go on vacation and rip up the forests with their camps and 4 wheelers and most people aren't driving the manure out of all the public land.

Oh, well, I'll hunt when then let me.

Latest posts

Back