• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wild mushrooms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, sorry I missed the link. So it´s not exactly the same mushroom we´re talking about.
Funny that the name is nearly the same.

I did a little search on the web for a recipe like kirrmeister mentioned it.
Here´s an austrian site with what looks like pretty much like the basic recipe:
Schwammerl mit Knödel

I find it difficult to explain in english (they just don´t teached us such important things like cooking vocabulary in school :cursing:), but maybe you can have a look and translate a bit like the ingredients and so with one of those web-engines. And then with a little extra translation from kirrmeister and me on what isn´t clear we´ll guide you to your bavarian style mushrooms. :grin:
Let me mention that in my area people often add a little vinegar, that´s maybe the "bohemian version".

foto001jpg[img]

foto001.jpg

Ahh! got it, I'm right much a newbie at PC ops so bear w/me. Being a mechanic and welder this don't come natural for me :cursing:
anyway this foto of the 'Hen' on the edge of my yard. good sized one, must weigh at least 5 pounds. So some is going in the freezer.
so romeoh I would appreciate any interpretation of the recipe of the link you posted from you and 'Kirrmeister' that looks mighty tasty.
this bad boy I have fotoed is gonna get sliced and beer-battered then fried when I'm roasting my venison kabobs. :thumbsup:

Blizz, ever cook any "ramps" with em? Or fool with ramps any? We've got a wild one here folks eat in the spring, so far never learned which ones are good or bad(wild onions, not mushrooms).

Yes, wild leeks they are. I pickle 'em too. I love 'em chopped and fried with taters, coarse ground black pepper sprinkled on. And a side of slow simmered pintos and cast-iron pan cooked cornbread. open all the windows on the hunting cabin though.

Blizzard,
Only two mushrooms that I know are the morels,
and puff-balls, out side of the ones sold in
stores that they sell by the ounce. Given I was
told I could have what ever I wanted for a last
meal it would be: Butter fried morels,hush puppies
and lobster. Due to my gluttony, I'd be on my way to hell.:rotf::rotf:
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Uumm, quite a testament to the morel's flavor. Puffballs grow around here, quite tasty sliced,beer-batter dipped and fried, I'll keep an eye out for morels, never noticed any here.

Blizzard,

The morels around here pop up when the grass in the fields is between ankle and knee high. Best time is after a rain, don't wait too long as the slugs find them tasty too.

I find most in the woods but some on the edge of fields and orchards. They seem to like apple, white ash, and elms around here. I never see them physically on the trees/stumps but beneath their canopys (might like the roots?)

The comment about the grass was just to give a time frame as to when they start to appear rather than suggest they were a field mushroom.

Blizzard,
Find morels if at all possible.There is no
substitute...Sliced in 1/2 and fried in butter,it
will definataly be on your list.
snake-eyes:hmm:

Around home , here in Pa. , morelles are abundant in apple orchards. You have to wash them well when you get them out of the new trees ( orchards ) , insecticides , chemicals. They are prolific in older , grown over orchards. In my opinion the tastiest of all wild shrooms.

No, not yet. What time of year are they out?

One trip to Germany years back, we went picking with my mother in law. We ended up with 4 to 5 types of mushrooms and she made a fantastic dish. My late father in law, being the retired intelligence type , watched us eat and then waited about 20 min. before he had any. :youcrazy:

Hi Ed,

these Maronen start growing now until August or September. You can make a nice soup out of them or fry them with butter and spices.

Regards

Kirrmeister

We do have puffballs here in Kansas I grew up on them. We would slice them from top to bottom about 1/4 in thick and fry them in butter, GOOD EATIN'

I slice them as you say .54 and beer batter then fry them as side dish w/fish or game. also have rice w/that, good pairing.

Back